Slam Fire - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:03 PM
Cutter11
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slam Fire

I have a Model 52-A 22 cal. At the range today removed the bolt to swab the bore. Put the bolt back in the receiver and thought all was well. Inserted a single round in the chamber and closed bolt. When bolt rotated into battery the round fired. Tried another brand of ammo but continued. This happed a couple of times so stopped shooting. Bolt operates smoothly until the very last lockup into battery.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2021, 02:27 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firing pin locked forward?
Old 07-15-2021, 02:43 PM
BarryD_RF
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Firing pin locked forward?
My thought as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2021, 04:04 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Firing pin slipping the sear as the bolt handle is pulled down it sounds like.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:12 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Could need a little more sear engagement.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:22 PM
Litetrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
How was the last outing with this rifle? Factory trigger?
Old 07-15-2021, 07:31 PM
Cutter11
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slam Fire

Thanks for the responses. Firing pin not stuck forward. Last outing shot over 100 rds. with no issues. No issues with the first 50 rounds today. Issue started when I removed the bolt.

Tinkering with the issue most of the day. Looks like there is a little play in the safety lever post. When bolt rotates into battery the rear of the bolt hits the safety shaft and releases the firing pin in the bolt. When I force the safety lever or wing forward there is no slam fire. Looks like I need to find a gunsmith in Ohio.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:06 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter11 View Post
Looks like I need to find a gunsmith in Ohio.
Maybe he'll know more than you, & maybe not. Before you waste time & money going that route, why don't you knock out that pin that holds the safety lever on its shaft, remove it, & find out if the problem persists.

No gun fired only at a range needs a safety! Or rather, the ONLY safety it needs is the bolt handle.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Stockcrafter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own a pre-A 52 manufactured in 1928. My gun was converted to "speed lock" at some point in it's life, but the trigger group appears to be original to the rifle. On my trigger there is a small set screw that is used to adjust the sear engagement, so a qualified gunsmith might be able to quickly solve your problem.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:58 AM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcrafter View Post
I own a pre-A 52 manufactured in 1928. My gun was converted to "speed lock" at some point in it's life, but the trigger group appears to be original to the rifle. On my trigger there is a small set screw that is used to adjust the sear engagement, so a qualified gunsmith might be able to quickly solve your problem.
Slowlock triggers didn't have that screw to adjust sear engagement. Late 1928 was the year Speedlocks were introduced (at ser. no. 16,026), though they were optional until 1929. Not impossible your gun was built as a Speedlock.

Unless the sear screw slot has been damaged, it can be adjusted without the dubious services of a gunsmith who's probably never seen a Model 52.

Last edited by ClarenceAnderson; 07-16-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:15 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That's not a slam fire
Old 07-16-2021, 03:11 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
That's not a slam fire
For a time, I had the trigger on a 52A adjusted to so light a pull that only I could close the bolt without causing it to fire. I discovered this when I let a couple of friends shoot it; repeatedly, even after telling them to close the bolt as easily as they could, it fired when closed. Then I'd take the gun, chamber a round, fire it normally, hand it back to them, & the same thing would happen again. They thought it was some kind of trick, but it absolutely was not--merely a light touch.

A slam-fire is what you'd probably get with a too-light trigger on a Slowlock, because it takes so much force to close the bolt--I literally slam it closed to avoid struggling with it. Were any aftermarket triggers ever made for Slowlocks? Don't know how they could have been made much more sensative without causing a slam-fire.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:12 PM
RGSIII

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Has anyone adjusted the trigger since it was last shot? I have seen some trigger jobs that turned a safe gun into a hazard. I would not bring it to just any gunsmith--many are just AR part changers.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:19 AM
Stockcrafter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAnderson View Post
Slowlock triggers didn't have that screw to adjust sear engagement. Late 1928 was the year Speedlocks were introduced (at ser. no. 16,026), though they were optional until 1929. Not impossible your gun was built as a Speedlock.

Unless the sear screw slot has been damaged, it can be adjusted without the dubious services of a gunsmith who's probably never seen a Model 52.
Interesting, thanks for the info. My rifle is in the 13,6XX series. What series started using the sear adjustment trigger group?
Old 07-17-2021, 07:47 AM
dokey
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Try holding the trigger forward when you close the bolt