Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 AM
tomcat11-64
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question Frame modification

Well got zero response on the MKIII 22/45 frame.
Is anyone doing frame modifications like KINGHOUSE use to do?
Milling a frame to accept removable grip panels.

Thanks~
Old 04-23-2021, 08:24 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From the looks of things over the past year regarding the availability of ANY kind of grip frames for the Ruger Mark series pistols, along with the failure of Kingshouse, I think you'd be better off selling or trading your current Mark III 22/45 off towards the purchase of a newer Mark IV model - and let someone else worry about such grip frame modifications.

Or, remove the grip frame from your pistol and smash/break it with a hammer, then call Ruger and tell them that it got crushed; they'll likely replace your grip frame with the later version that has the removable grip panels and replace any of its internals that they feel need replacing for free, or for a nominal fee.

Call Ruger Customer Service at 1 (336) 949-5200 and ask what they can do for you. It's a non-serialized part so there's no special mailing requirements involved.

Best wishes.

Last edited by DrewBone; 04-23-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:48 PM
smith627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
See modification no.8 for the grips mod. $125

https://maddmacsprecisiontactical.co...2245trade.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2021, 10:58 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
If you send the gun to Ruger they will , per CSR, repair the gun and return it to the configuration that it was when it left the factory. Will they up grade the grip frame ? CSR told me no !
Old 07-10-2021, 09:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
98% (44)
but what if you send in a FrankenRuger where it is a 22/45 Mark III upper with a ser# that indicates a RP frame, and the lower is a mark II frame?

kinda sorta serious question.....
Old 07-10-2021, 10:26 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They will put it back together the way it was originally and charge you for all the parts that were changed.

I sent my Mark IV 22/45 Lite back and had the wrong bolt assembly for it. I mistakenly sent my Mark III Hunter bolt. Ruger called me and said either send them the correct bolt or they would charge me an additional $75 to put the correct bolt back in.

Same holds true if you send them one with Volquartsen internals. They will replace them with OEM parts, charge you and you may or may not get your VQ parts back.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
98% (44)
I knew about the VQ parts. I have a Mark II Government that needs to be re-blued and D/T'd. Won't put in the VQ parts til after Ruger does their thing.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:59 PM
jazzsax8

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
for me

Several months ago I had to send my Ruger SR1911 10mm back for a barrel change as the link pin lug was cracking. Told the rep I had polished some parts to get a nice 3.5# trigger I did not want touched and he said to remove the parts as they had plenty to test it with. They got an empty frame with grips, slide and barrel. Shipped it on their dime and they not only replaced the barrel but installed a total of $250 in parts including a new magazine and shipped it back. While they probably charge for parts under certain circumstances, my job was free all the way. Of course the trigger pull was now a little over 5# but my parts put it back to 3.5.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:02 PM
dchancock1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did the modification to my MKIII and it wasn't that difficult. Here's the link I used from You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuE9JVw_R4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190519_164533.jpg (485.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-19-2021, 06:50 PM
wvjoetc

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice job dchancock1, I like the look!
Old 07-19-2021, 11:06 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Did you put blue lock tite or like product in the bushing threads where it screws into the frame ? I have also found it helpful to put a very small amount of anti seize grease on the grip screws when installing the grip screws to keep sweat or anything else getting into the screws and pulling your bushing when you unscrew your grip screws.
Excellent grinding ! The MKIII 22/45 grip frame is thinner than the MKII era grip frame so caution is needed to keep from grinding through the MKIII grip frame.

Last edited by JStacy; 07-19-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:35 AM
dchancock1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used JB Weld to anchor the bushings into the frame. I used blue Lock-tite on the screws. I found the aluminum grips at Volquartsen. This is an old photo, actually. I added a speed strip kit and a Volquartsen extractor. I also removed the loaded chamber indicator. I was having trouble feeding standard velocity ammo. Not any more. It shoots SV and Subsonic and is a tack driver!
Old 07-28-2021, 09:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
98% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
They will put it back together the way it was originally and charge you for all the parts that were changed.

I sent my Mark IV 22/45 Lite back and had the wrong bolt assembly for it. I mistakenly sent my Mark III Hunter bolt. Ruger called me and said either send them the correct bolt or they would charge me an additional $75 to put the correct bolt back in.

Same holds true if you send them one with Volquartsen internals. They will replace them with OEM parts, charge you and you may or may not get your VQ parts back.
So, I'd get my frame back, and a Mark III 22/45 RP frame as well, with my upper on it?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:19 PM
Speculatorking

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm wondering the same thing. If I send a MK III 22/45 RP serialized upper to Ruger with a MK III 22/45 non RP frame that is beaten up, will they send me back a new
RP frame?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:38 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd call Ruger.

I think they will make you whole but will not give you anything else. All extra parts will be charged for.