M41 trigger guard hard to pull - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:32 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR54 View Post
The 41 is a strange one. If you get a good one, mainly the earlier versions, they run like a raped ape. I've had a couple and traded the old one (1986) for a new one (2019). Should have kept the old one. A trick that I read, if not mistaking from this forum, once the slide is locked back and put on the barrel, unlock the slide and let it close. If it completely closes, then closing the trigger guard is a lot easier. Also use some Flitz to polish the sides of the metal that goes into the frame. I use oil (Slip 2000) and it makes it easier. Good luck with it.
I did the same thing and it worked for me. Oddly enough, all the YouTube videos I saw on this subject except one showed closing the trigger guard before dropping the slide. Mine wouldn't close the TG all the way unless I dropped the slide first. Maybe that's one of the differences between the older ones & the new one, though why that'd be is beyond me.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:12 PM
Endall

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My three day old 41 opens and closes easily the last 1/4” or so. Get real stiff after. I saw the video where the slide was released before the trigger guard was closed. Tried that too.
Headed to the range tomorrow. After I will wrestle the trigger guard
Old 06-15-2021, 12:28 PM
Lloyd S.

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endall View Post
My three day old 41 opens and closes easily the last 1/4” or so. Get real stiff after. I saw the video where the slide was released before the trigger guard was closed. Tried that too.
Headed to the range tomorrow. After I will wrestle the trigger guard
Let us know how it does and what kind (brand, sv or hv) of ammo you used, will you? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2021, 05:38 PM
Endall

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ran 110 rounds of Federal 36 Ge copper plated hollow point today. First 10 at a target and 100 at 6” plates from 15 yards. 100 plates fell even with some fast runs across the rail. Excellent shooter. I have hit a 100 straight before, but never with a gun the first time to the range.
Used the HV ammo because a 550 box is what was open. Had two failure to fire. Middle of the first magazine and middle of the third. Ran fine after. Rims were not dented and shot both as a single. Assume a light strike, sound was funny, maybe from no boom.
Tear down was much easier than yesterday. Opened about 30% and stuck. Worked closed. It closed easily once free. The tang on the front even bit me once when it snapped closed.
It popped loudly . Opened all the way. Pulled barrel and slide. Trigger guard was very rough and noisy working it with barrel removed. Kept locking up. Never like videos. Oiled the locking devise inside the frame. About every third cycle. Oil was everywhere.
Put back together and it did not want to close completely. Tried slide forward and back. After 10 minutes it snapped shut completely with the slide back.
But big improvement from yesterday.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:10 PM
MikeMyers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post
........With only 2 brands could I shoot an entire 10-round mag. w/o a malfunction; Armscor Precision and both types of CCI (SV and Minimags). Good luck finding any of either.
Go to the CCI website and create an account. Then either work your way through the menu to select the proper CCI (LR, 40 grain, lead round nose, standard velocity) or try this link:
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...city/6-35.html

If you go there early in the day, you can buy up to 10 boxes of 50, and pay around $11 in shipping. For me it came out to $60 or so for 500 rounds. If you try later in the day, it usually says "not available". The ammo works perfectly in my 41.

As to opening the gun, for me it's "stiff", but once it comes open it moves freely. I bought my gun in the 70's, wouldn't swap it for a new gun.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:45 PM
Endall

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Break in?

After five trips to the range it seem be have loosened up enough. Sometimes it stops closing about 25% open. Working barrel around helps. Pulls open all the way every time now. Think oil on the locking lever and working it helped smooth things.
No longer worried about breaking off the trigger guard to clean.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:19 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I couldn’t get the trigger guard to close on a new Clark barrel and got info here how to fit. I used a #6 file and an Arkansas stone, file then check fit, got close then light polish with the stone and check fit.

And Use a buffer if you’re shooting HV ammo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 706671F7-70F4-4854-9B5A-83FE28B8897E.jpg (143.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 09:32 PM
Endall

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!

Will remember this for fitting. Mine was super tough with barrel removed.
Purchased a buffer from Numrich. Will put in next cleaning. I need to be making and selling the buffers,. 5 cent part for 17.50.

Last edited by Endall; 06-24-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:22 AM
Topos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911nut View Post
I couldn’t get the trigger guard to close on a new Clark barrel and got info here how to fit. I used a #6 file and an Arkansas stone, file then check fit, got close then light polish with the stone and check fit.

And Use a buffer if you’re shooting HV ammo
Had same issue when I first got my Bully Barrel ... trigger guard
would have needed to be forced.

Searching extensively I found
a post that mirrored above but the recommendation I followed
was "...do both sides symmetrically of the VEE the same with each stroke of
a flat White Arkansas stone. Repeat methodically."

I did three strokes on both sides each time,
tried to fit, repeat. Slowly converged to
the AHA-moment when the trigger guard
snapped in sharply as the original 5.5"
did. Never had a problem.

Best.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Lloyd S.

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topos View Post
Had same issue when I first got my Bully Barrel ... trigger guard
would have needed to be forced.

Searching extensively I found
a post that mirrored above but the recommendation I followed
was "...do both sides symmetrically of the VEE the same with each stroke of
a flat White Arkansas stone. Repeat methodically."

I did three strokes on both sides each time,
tried to fit, repeat. Slowly converged to
the AHA-moment when the trigger guard
snapped in sharply as the original 5.5"
did. Never had a problem.

Best.
My brand new 41 is pretty easy to close if I close the slide first. Oddly enough, all the YouTube videos on the subject I've seen but one showed closing the trigger guard with the slide open. If I try that the t.g. will not close the last 1/4" or so. And the first time I tried that I accidentally released the slide & pinched the bejaysus out of my finger. Had a blood blister for days.

Last edited by Lloyd S.; 07-01-2021 at 12:12 PM. Reason: correct spelling error
Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Zarthan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Just brought home my new M41, looks and feels great.

Getting ready to clean it and the trigger guard was quite difficult to pull down after removing the magazine and locking the slide back.
Then the guard would not go up for anything, put a bunch of oil in there, nothing..
Took a stick to see if the barrel latch would move, nothing.
The oil must have finally moved to the right spot, it closes now, nothing more than letting a surprisingly dry gun have some oil.

Ready to clean, lube and shoot
Old 09-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Endall

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lube Pawl and Pawl cam

The pawl locks the barrel. Mine was extremely stiff without barrel and would lock up. Oiling the pawl and cam from the top helped. But it seems shooting a brick HV ammo loosened it up.
Do not know how these parts were crammed inside frame. Interference fit.