First match - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:49 AM
marlin maddness

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for the info guys , I'm shooting the 50yd one shot at 25 targets with sighter, and the 100 yard 5 targets 5 shots at each with a sighter. The 4x16x40 weaver works great at 50 yds but at 100 its just hard to get the dot in the center ring and keep shots focused. I have a T36 XR Weaver I'm gonna try but not sure if it will be too much for 50 yards. Here is my 100 yard target and CZ rifle .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210628_092900.jpg (496.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20210628_093311.jpg (537.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by marlin maddness; 07-01-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:00 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
It won't. I and lots of guys I know use 36X for 50 yd. BR and it's just right. Most of these scopes are either Weaver T36's or Sightron SII's.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:51 PM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsatspokane View Post
Do not go FFP unless you plan to do tactical competitions. The only reason for FFP is if you are using your reticle for ranging. Why bother when a range finder is used in most tactical competitions. No one uses FFP in other forms of competition like F Class, Bench Rest or high power. The reticle gets too thick and in the case of some forms of competition completely blocks the 10 or X ring. Also go MOA rather than Mildot. Much finer resolution in the turret adjustments.

Fixed power scopes like those mentioned here are very nice. I've used them in F Class but now use variable in the 50+ power range. When conditions permit, the high power is very useful. Normally run about 40 power however.
That is not true. Ranging is rarely used in matches but the reticle is used a lot for holds like wind, elevation and fast corrections as well as movers. Having to not worry about where on the power range you are to have the reticle subtend correctly is a huge advantage.

Also the reticle does not get to thick in FFP. The reticle covers the same amount of the target no matter the power setting and how the FFP works. It comes down to reticle design as to how much it covers. The 7C in the Venom has a center dot that is .14 MOA in size. Not overly large. As a comparison the Vortex Golden Eagle uses a center dot that is .095 MOA at 40x. That said with a SFP if you go off that 40x then that dot size changes. Just the nature of the beast.

I agree that the FFP is not used in other disciplines as they have different needs as mostly they use a very thin reticle with no holds needed but a properly designed FFP reticle like the 7C can do the job in a pinch.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:07 PM
ronsatspokane

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
That is not true. Ranging is rarely used in matches but the reticle is used a lot for holds like wind, elevation and fast corrections as well as movers. Having to not worry about where on the power range you are to have the reticle subtend correctly is a huge advantage.

Also the reticle does not get to thick in FFP. The reticle covers the same amount of the target no matter the power setting and how the FFP works. It comes down to reticle design as to how much it covers. The 7C in the Venom has a center dot that is .14 MOA in size. Not overly large. As a comparison the Vortex Golden Eagle uses a center dot that is .095 MOA at 40x. That said with a SFP if you go off that 40x then that dot size changes. Just the nature of the beast.

I agree that the FFP is not used in other disciplines as they have different needs as mostly they use a very thin reticle with no holds needed but a properly designed FFP reticle like the 7C can do the job in a pinch.
What I said was the truth. FFP = Tactical matches. SFP for everything else.

Reticle is so fat in an FFP at higher power that it will obscure the X and the 10 on benchrest targets and even F Class targets. It is not usable at higher powers. Higher powers are the standard in those forms of competition.

1/4 MOA (not to mention 1/8 MOA which is common in many target scopes these days) is much finer resolution than 1/10 Mil. Not enough resolution adjustment for competitions other than tactical where you are shooting at 2 MOA or larger targets and only counting a hit.

Not saying that FFP and Mildot scopes don't have an application. Just that the application is limited.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:30 PM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry but you need to look at different ffp scopes and learn that the reticle stays the same all the way through it’s power range. Covers the same at 10x as it does at 27x. Doesn’t get thicker. Comes down to reticle design. I gave you the measurements above.

Also I said you were wrong about the ranging thing. You do not range much if any anymore. 15-20 years ago yes but not now. Ffp at Tac matches are for holds.