Federal Bulk - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:26 AM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I had two of the 333 Winchester bulk. They were both bought from the sane place on the same day about 8 months ago. The first one was terrible. Huge variation in powder charges. Had two rounds with little or no powder charge. Left bullets lodged in the bore. I threw most of it away before someone destroyed a gun with it. Did not open the other box until last week. I was hoping for better results. And the second box was just fine. They even worked about 99% in my autos.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:51 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would trade automatch for thunder turds or golden turds. They are the worst of the worst.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:20 PM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some lots of auto match are fine. Some are junk.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:05 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
Sounds like due to the shortage they are rushing the production and causing sloppy rounds to get out in the mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
The junk I bought came from Walmart just before all this BS started. Everyone I know that bought a batch around that timeframe found it to be total junk. Maybe they have improved it. Or possibly only WalMart gets the junk.
Speculation until much more information comes forward.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:40 PM
SCBob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got back from the indoor range with a buddy. I had just read this thread before we went. I took some the bulk 800 rounds to shoot in the Taurus TX22 Competition. It was mostly okay. Shot about 150 rounds. 10 or so sounded under powered. Had only 1 jam and that was probably from the mag not being loaded quite right. Had about 5 of the under powered rounds fail to fully cycle the slide.

Not the best ammo. I have 3 boxes of it to shoot up. I mail ordered them over the last several months direct from Federal. Hopefully the batches are different and better.

Still fun though for plinking.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:29 AM
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I shot in a competition last night and one of the guys was using the blue box stuff in his Browning Medalist. He had numerous failures to eject and cursed the ammo as the cause. I still haven't opened the box I bought so I can't really give you my experiences at present. I may try some out today.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:58 PM
max503
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
The 800 round packs of Blue box Federal is some of the worst ammo I have seen in a long time. Lots of missfires and a huge variation in powder charges. I made the mistake of buying a box. It will not function in any auto I have. I shoot it now in a Ruger Wrangler. When it's gone I will not buy any more.
I have to agree with this post. While shooting it out of my Marlin rifle I had to continually stop, unload the rifle, and check the bore to see that the bullet had exited the barrel.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:42 AM
godale

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max503 View Post
I have to agree with this post. While shooting it out of my Marlin rifle I had to continually stop, unload the rifle, and check the bore to see that the bullet had exited the barrel.

That stinks I have marlins.auto match has always worked in my 60 so has the blue boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2021, 12:46 PM
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just ran 200 rounds of the Federal blue box through one of my Victory pistols. I did not have a single malfunction or under-powered round. I didn't test it for accuracy on paper but it rang the steel as well and knocked down silhouettes as any other ammo I have shot. After the range session when examining my gun, it did not appear any dirtier than with the Federal AutoMatch that I normally shoot.

Yes, I will buy it again without hesitation.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:50 PM
godale

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieviper View Post
I just ran 200 rounds of the Federal blue box through one of my Victory pistols. I did not have a single malfunction or under-powered round. I didn't test it for accuracy on paper but it rang the steel as well and knocked down silhouettes as any other ammo I have shot. After the range session when examining my gun, it did not appear any dirtier than with the Federal AutoMatch that I normally shoot.

Yes, I will buy it again without hesitation.

Great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2021, 02:11 PM
Magilla26
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got back from a sage rat shoot in Eastern Oregon. Using my Marlin 39A I shot nothing but Federal Bulk 550 Red pack ammo that was at least 15 years old. I shot around 250 rounds with no duds or misfires.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:14 PM
Gatorhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
I would trade automatch for thunder turds or golden turds. They are the worst of the worst.
Never had any trouble with A.M. You most have tried a different type of Thunderbolt then I did because those are straight up TRASH.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:15 PM
Gatorhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla26 View Post
I just got back from a sage rat shoot in Eastern Oregon. Using my Marlin 39A I shot nothing but Federal Bulk 550 Red pack ammo that was at least 15 years old. I shot around 250 rounds with no duds or misfires.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:54 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieviper View Post
I shot in a competition last night and one of the guys was using the blue box stuff in his Browning Medalist. He had numerous failures to eject and cursed the ammo as the cause. I still haven't opened the box I bought so I can't really give you my experiences at present. I may try some out today.
Just shot 150 rds of Blue box Federal Bulk 800 through a Browning Nomad (mfg 1967) using 4 different OEM 10rd magazines. They all went bang, cycled & ejected. In short - no firing issues. They are a bit dirty though... pistol needed a good cleaning after the 150 rds.

I loaded the 800 count box into 100 rd sliders and counted a few rds over 800. Not sure if Federal packs by count or weight.

Hopes this helps ease some concerns over the Federal bulk Blue box 800. Feel free to send unwanted boxes my way!

Happy shooting.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:48 PM
Cam3roni

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Avoid the 800 count federal blue box bulk. Stuff is awful in 10/22s. Powder charge variations like crazy and some need to need an extra hard hammer strike.