Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:24 PM
superdave269

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help me date my Remington 37 receiver S/N

I am now the proud caretaker of a custom built Remington 37. It is marked on the barrel Womack. I was able to find some very interesting information about him but I can not find a list of serial numbers to date my rifle. The receiver's S/N is 07695
Does anyone know when it was manufactured? The rifle is very customized. It has been made into a single shot. Heavy barrel that I believe was made by Douglas. New stock, barrel tuner. The front sight base is a little different to what I am used to. It is made with a step in it as to be able to change the height for different ranges.

Missing the hook part of the buttplate. Anyone know where I can find one? no sights or scope. I bet it is a real tack driver.

I always wanted a model 37 but the hunt continues as I still want one that uses a magazine.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:43 PM
Hip's Ax
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Hip's Ax
Read the production date sticky at the top of the forum.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=534427

From what I read there I would imagine yours was made in 1947 or 48.

BTW that front dovetail is generally referred to as a Two Step. You would move the front sight from one step to the other when you go from 50 to 100 yards at a prone match.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:30 PM
superdave269

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the help.
It looks like I was correct about the "Two Step" sight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (216.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (119.9 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2021, 03:33 PM
superdave269

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope I can find the Hook I assume it is an Al Freeland buttplate assembly.
The stock has a nice little palm swell as well as a cheek piece. I believe it is made of walnut.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:16 AM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Your 37

A very nice looking 37 that was some prone shooters pride and joy in the past. Take good care of it and have fun shooting.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:55 AM
superdave269

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Greg, I plan on enjoying it for a long time. Of course my eyes are on the decline...
Old 05-03-2021, 03:51 PM
Gmac5

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
That single shot adapter appears to be the removable type . Have you had it out of the stock ? Ill bet it is , now youll just need a magazine.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:11 AM
superdave269

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do believe a reconversion is very possible. I have taken the rifle apart to do a thorough cleaning. When ever I don't the action/bolt etc.. always seem to be covered in heavy grease that won't allow the gun to function properly.
I believe the smith may have used the top of a single shot mag for the conversion.
The stock would need to be cut for a magazine. It is currently solid, A magazine guide plate would need to be added. Maybe another small part or two that I haven't thought of.
I really don't wish to modify this rifle. Since it was custom built by Mr. Walt Womack back in the day. ( He built many winning Camp Perry rifles) I feel I should leave it be.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:25 PM
btbell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The date code info is missing from the Remington date sticky at the top of the forum.

The Remington Society of America (RSA) does have a web page with barrel date code info:
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

Other than the SN, are there any markings on the receiver that might give an indication of date?

I have come across a Rem 37, SN 01894. Like the OP's, the gun has been rebarreled, and has a custom stock.

The most likely stockmaker died on August 19, 1937, and I'm trying to find if it's possible that he could have received the barreled action and done the stock work before he passed.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-05-2021, 03:10 AM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbell View Post
The date code info is missing from the Remington date sticky at the top of the forum.

The Remington Society of America (RSA) does have a web page with barrel date code info:
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

Other than the SN, are there any markings on the receiver that might give an indication of date?

I have come across a Rem 37, SN 01894. Like the OP's, the gun has been rebarreled, and has a custom stock.

The most likely stockmaker died on August 19, 1937, and I'm trying to find if it's possible that he could have received the barreled action and done the stock work before he passed.

Any help would be appreciated!
Several years ago I called Remington about a low 1500 range rifle. They told me it was 1937 production. Hope that helps somehow.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:12 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I proudly own serial #01690. Barrel date code indicates it was manufactured in October of 1937. It belonged to a school rifle club/team post WW II. It shows it's age and history. Still all original. Still a good shooter in spite of a heavy trigger. Hope you find the information you are wanting.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:25 PM
btbell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks folks, for the info. I hope to be able to post more soon; it's a very interesting rifle.