Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Stock 167, The Covid 10/22

4K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  GermanGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
With all the craziness going on in the world, I decided it was time for me to make my contribution to the "off the wallness". This stock is gonna be called the "Covid 10/22". I decided to put on my mask and gloves and sneak down to the lumber yard to buy me a half sheet of this exotic wood. I think it comes from the OSB tree. The trees are really big because each board is 4 feet wide and 8 feet long.
Sorry guys, just trying to lighten things up a bit. With all the bad stuff going on, we need to find a little something to smile about.
Larry

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
This morning, I'm building and installing the pillar. Now guys, don't laugh. Here are most of the parts and tools I use to build the pillar. The wood block is my measuring tool for drilling a pilot hole with a small bit. I use the forstner bits drilling the hole and the recess for the washer. The pipe cutter is used for cutting the brass (a 308 and 30/06 case).

Here are the 3 pieces I use. The 308 case is cut to 11/32. When the 3 pieces are together, the take down screw will be the correct length to screw into the receiver.

After soldering the pieces together, the pilliar is ready to be installed into the stock. My solder job looks pretty sloppy. The extra beads of solder around the case body will help the epoxy support the pillar.
The last couple pictures show the pillar in the wood.
I put the pillar in the wood, then install the action and screw and screw the pillar up tight. You will notice a shim under the front of the barrel for clearance. You have to do this because there is nothing supporting the in the correct position, until the epoxy sets up. The rifle is upsidedown, with the butt in a vise and the barrel resting on a block of wood. The epoxy is pored into the bottom of the forearm.
The last picture is of the washer in the correct position, after the epoxy is set and the action removed. I will allow the pillar to setup for a day or so before doing any sanding or cutting on the brass.

#10 ·
That's the first time I've been ask that. It seem to be ok. Once the epoxy sets, it's a very solid setup. I'm sure there's plenty guys wouldn't think of using something like this in their stock, but, I'm just an old country boy and do a lot ******* engineering.
Larry

#11 ·
A few weeks ago, Harbor Freight had their lowest priced angle grinder ($15) on sale for $10. I decided to get one and see if it could be used for building a stock. This stock is my first build that didn't get the use of my belt sander. All the shaping was done with a 36 grit flop disk in the grinder and a 1 inch drum disk in a drill. The inlet for the bolt still has to be cut, before I start the final sanding. You will also notice, I have taken the wood on the side of the receiver, all the way to the top of the receiver. Just wanted a different look.

#13 ·
I want to thank you, you made me smile. I didn't think there was someone out there that thinks like I do, just kidding. We do need to find something to smile about, the way things are now days. Seriously, I was thinking about a light green or purple dye. My main worry is not getting any color on the cherry trim. I'm just doing this build for fun and actually, the odd shape feels pretty good.

#19 ·
Morning, I started this project for fun. I wasn't really thinking about how it would feel, but, after getting a lot of the excess wood removed, it does fit and feels good. Just thought it was time for something off the wall. We need something to talk about and get all the bad news we're listening to, off our minds.
Thanks for checking out my work.
Larry

#20 ·
This morning, I finished the sanding and did the cutout for the bolt. My original plan was to color the stock purple, but it looked terrible on a piece of scrap. I guess all the glue in the wood interfered too much with the dye penetrating the wood. Anyway, I decided to go with a Minwax pecan stain. This last picture is with one coat of stain. My finish will be truoil.

#29 ·
Working with fine wood products----

.... I guess all the glue in the wood interfered too much with the dye penetrating the wood......
I was afraid you might run into that. I tried using waferboard for a repair on something and found out it would not sand smooth, no matter what I did, for the same reason....the glue they soaked into the wood.

Your project turned out looking pretty cool, I like the style/shape of the stock you ended up with. I will be interested to hear how the softwoods stand up to handling, bumps, and scratches after the next 6 months.

It's a little late now but did you consider using a product like MinWax Wood Hardener to soak into the final surface of the stock? That stuff is similar to superglue in that it cures into a hard plastic. When you soak it into a wood surface, it hardens and toughens the wood fibers but it also seals the wood and would prevent any staining or other penetrating finish. You could sand smooth and paint but that's about it.

#23 ·
Morning, now that is a strange one. Must have come off the set of Starwars. I enjoy doing something different, now and then. The comments from you guys, is what it's all about. If you've followed my builds through the years, you'll know I like the "off the wall stuff" and what better time than this. Never seen anything, like what's going on now, in my lifetime and don't care to see it again.
Larry

#24 · (Edited)
I finished the stock. This turned out to be a big job putting on a finish. I ended up doing two coats of shellac after the minwax stain had dried. Then, I was finally able to put on a few coats of truoil. The stock is not smooth, even after the final sanding. This is because of all the different pieces of wood.

#27 ·
Hey guys, thanks for checking out my work. I really enjoy the comments, even got a few smiles from some of the posts. This was my way of taking my mind of all the bad stuff on tv. My daughter is a nurse, working in a clinic near Oklahoma City. Thats kinda stressing us out. Luckily she hasn’t had to deal with any of this virus.
Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.