Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

57M 17 mach 2 price check

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  VertFish 
#1 ·
Found a 57M 17 mach 2 in a pawn shop today, it has a wood stock, stainless barrel, Nikon 6.5-20 scope. The lop is like 12" though so I don't know if it was ordered that way or cut off. Rifle is in excellent condition. Would it be worth 1350.00. Thanks for your opinions.

#5 ·
cooper

With the scope package even with the cut off stock it is worth the money. If you do not like the scope take it off and sell it on this website classifieds its worth at least 275-325 dollars. In reality you will be getting a 1000 dollar cooper rifle. If that rifle is really clean I would be calling where it is at and put a hold on it. Have you priced a cooper lately?

#6 · (Edited)
With the scope package even with the cut off stock it is worth the money. If you do not like the scope take it off and sell it on this website classifieds its worth at least 275-325 dollars. In reality you will be getting a 1000 dollar cooper rifle. If that rifle is really clean I would be calling where it is at and put a hold on it. Have you priced a cooper lately?
Yes, a package at half replacement cost but if the stock doesn't fit him, selling the glass pretty much gets him just a 1000 dollar Cooper action, not a usable rifle. Buying a proper length stock from Cooper won't be cheap(read economically unfeasible) and the odds of finding a take off are slim.
Adding two inches to the stock would make it usable,would have an expense, yet wouldn't increase its value.

#7 ·
It definitely feels weird when shouldered, I'm no a tall guy just average height. It isn't unshootable just don't feel right. I'm thinking about getting it and shooting it like it is for a while, then going for a replacement stock. This way it would be less painful to my bank account. Thanks for your input so far.

#11 ·
Certainly a "slip on pad" could solve some of the LOP. There are stock folks out there that might be able to "splice" on more wood although getting a good match is up for grabs.

If you have the itch for a JSR then its your bucks. I dropped the hammer on one, all stock with Leupold mounts and rings for about the price you have listed and I am not sorry...… A new stock from Cooper will cost some $$$ I would check around and see if there are any "stock company's" that make replacement stocks for Coopers.

Just my

#17 · (Edited)
I would be all over that like a duck on a June bug.

Looking at mine I think thats the "from the factory" recoil pad and , yes, it looks to be about 1" shorter then my stock rifle which is 14 1/4" off the center of the trigger to the top of the slight swell in the butt pad . I know what I said in my previous post about stocks and pads but I must wonder if that same pad might be available in a thicker format and/or two 1/4 inch spacer plates and a new pad might not just get you close to something that would work for you..... Check this out. Its 1/2" thick... add a spacer if needed:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pachmayr/recoil-pads/rifle-pads/rp200-rifle

or this one, it is .80" thick:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pachmayr/recoil-pads/field-pads/752b-old-english

You need to get a good measurement from trigger to center of butt pad. Then you can figure what it needs.

Just thinking out loud.... Go buy the darn gun.... play with it and see what happens.

#19 ·
Well I got the rifle, called Cooper and ordered a synthetic stock for it BUT it isn't the right stock for my rifle. It looks to be a centerfield stock. Sent a email to Dawn which is who I dealt with explaining the problem and included pictures of both stocks side by side. Talked to her today and she thinks my rifle is a 57-M which is a older model but it doesn't have a dash in the model number on the receiver. She basically said they don't have a stock for the rifle and I could send it back for a credit. I asked for a return shipping label and she says since it isn't a warranty issue they won't supply a return label. So now I get to pay shipping both ways for a stock that doesn't fit. I'm not impressed by the customer service I have received. This may be my first and last Cooper. I did send another email tonight with pictures of the receiver of my rifle showing clearly there is no dash asking for her to try again since I haven't found anywhere else that I can get a stock unless I want to go custom which costs way more than I would spend. Hopefully they will come through with something that will work.

#20 ·
Very surprising that Dawn didn't realize what you had. The 57M is the much earlier version of the now 57-M. I have dealt with Dawn a lot over the years. Mainly through email but she has always been great. She will email me after hours and even on weekends regarding my questions. If you decide to sell the rifle since it has such a short stock I would be very interested in it. I have a 10 year old daughter and another one that is turning 4. We could make a lot of memories with that little rifle.

#21 ·
Just a update on my 57M rifle, I wanted to come back and say that me being stubborn and not willing to give up I contacted Cooper and asked for the person in charge of stocks. Got a nice gentleman to listen to what my issue was and he did find me a synthetic stock that would work. He even had it painted the color I wanted and shipped it to me with a return label for the stock that wouldn't work. I'm pleased with what I finally got from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.