Trying to get this 457 Varmint w/Lilja Mach2 bbl shooting well - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Warner Will
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Warner Will:

I dont know how you squirrel hunt but for me its walk in, sit down and get ready. Most shots throughout the season will be from 25 to 50 yards at the most and usually in between those two.

I would sight in at 25 yards and then check that at 50. At 25 I would think you could get bug holes and still be pretty much on at 50 the way the little HMII shoots. I personally will not shoot at a squirrel over 50. To far to walk to go get it. LOL

Just my thoughts.
Pretty much the same as you.. most shots are within 40 actually and that's because if I get more than one, it's hard to remember where they fall
I went out today but they were all napping! I skipped Church just to go out and wouldn't you know it? zip.
I checked the zero when I got home at a steel plate at 25 yards nd I am just a touch low. so I am good, I believe. Thanks for the input, and you are right. a 25 zero is probably smarter.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner Will View Post
Pretty much the same as you. I skipped Church just to go out and wouldn't you know it? zip.
Warner Will:

Nah.... you did not skip church.... you were in the real church. JMHO
Old 09-03-2019, 07:58 AM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner Will View Post
Here it is, and I am not hugely impressed but hey, it ISgood enough for most of what I do with it. I have to be a realist.
100 yard target has 50 on it and the 50 yard target has 5.

Conditions: 72 degrees F, 48%humidity, 1/2 to 4.5 mph winds left to right. 100 yards benched with 12X scope. New CCI ammo.
CZ457 Varmint stocked, Lilja barrel, resting just in front of magazine well...sand bag under stock heel.

Vertical dispersion is not bad, obviously horizontal is.

The 50 yard group is not awesome looking as the scope was tweaked as I shot.
BUT it's close enough for 50 and in for a grey squirrel head.
Season opens here tomorrow and that's what I am set up for.

I am not terribly disappointed but had higher expectations.
Did you check your empties for split necks? Especially older ammo has had this trouble.

Also remember these run at close to centerfire speeds and should be cleaned the same way. It isn't a .22 that you can put 500 lubed rounds through without cleaning.
Good shooting.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:47 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I've a couple of 17hm2's and all are "Show no mercy" on ground squirrels out to 150yrds. My best is a full VQ conversion and it'll hold 3/4moa and occasional 1/2moa. Just my background.

Now my question for you is your trigger. Any work done to it? What's the weight? Overtravel? Also how long is your barrel? I had my accuracy/consistency increase noticeably on my HB Savage when cut from 22" to 16".
Old 09-13-2019, 06:46 AM
Warner Will

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
I've a couple of 17hm2's and all are "Show no mercy" on ground squirrels out to 150yrds. My best is a full VQ conversion and it'll hold 3/4moa and occasional 1/2moa. Just my background.

Now my question for you is your trigger. Any work done to it? What's the weight? Overtravel? Also how long is your barrel? I had my accuracy/consistency increase noticeably on my HB Savage when cut from 22" to 16".
I was one of those 'first on the block' to do a 10/22 conversion. That rifle Shoots 'about' one inch @ 100 BUT I built it for tree squirrels and never shot more than 50 shots out that far. **and that was WAY back in the first few months of the Mach2 being released** so a while ago. . I have a Contender with a rifle barrel that does okay, never have checked for groups, just sighted in with a few shots and went with it...again...it's for squirrels. I'm thinking of selling that barrel, though. I've shot around 30 squirrels with it.NEVER missed. but it's not my thing for the Contender, plus the scope is mounted so high that cant makes a big difference...I don't like that.

I shot competitively when I was in my 20's and 30's (now 58) and I still have a few paper punchers both rim and centerfire. but for ME the 17Mach2 is not made for *nor was ever intended for* match shooting. it is for hunting and plinking. My opinion. So in that vein, hunting is what I have it for. so far, I have never in my life seen a round more suited for grey squirrel hunting.

Now, regarding my CZ 457.
That rifle has a Lilja barrel. not cutting it. the most I'd do is try different pressure points under the barrel with spot bedding pads. Something about spending nearly 500 coin on a barrel and then thinking of cutting it makes me choke a little on my coffee.
I have NOT touched the trigger. the overtravel is a bit long and I'll probably work on that and I must have hit the CZ lottery since it breaks VERY cleanly at 2.2 pounds almost exactly every time I measured. I checked it 5 cycles before I ever shot it and five after my '[email protected]' ~pattern~. 2.2 to 2.25 to 2.3 maximum .
I still might play with that since it's about as light as I would ever want for hunting.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Warner Will

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
Did you check your empties for split necks? Especially older ammo has had this trouble.

Also remember these run at close to centerfire speeds and should be cleaned the same way. It isn't a .22 that you can put 500 lubed rounds through without cleaning.
Good shooting.
new ammo... no split necks. checked every one.

I clean every 50 and every post-hunting. I DID find one fouling shot does make a difference with both the CCI and Hornady...the Hornadys are running faster out of the tube and this barrel doesn't like that I guess because they leave more copper behind *seemingly* from what I see on the patches. or maybe the powder blend is a touch different. and Yes...I know they're made at the same CCI plant. but they are different.. the slightly slower CCIs group smaller and foul less. So I 've got that going for me, which is nice.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:54 PM
skwerl457

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Greetings jetboater why did you change to the Lilja barrel . did you not have good shooting with the stock barrel? I have an MTR in .22 with 16.5 barrel /match chamber and an MTR in 17 HMR with 20.5 barrel . The 17 HMR shoots well using HORNADY 20 gr . I haven't found the best 22lr ammo but RWS Rifle Target looks promising . I love my 457 MTR's.......... skwerl
Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Jetboater

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwerl457 View Post
Greetings jetboater why did you change to the Lilja barrel . did you not have good shooting with the stock barrel? I have an MTR in .22 with 16.5 barrel /match chamber and an MTR in 17 HMR with 20.5 barrel . The 17 HMR shoots well using HORNADY 20 gr . I haven't found the best 22lr ammo but RWS Rifle Target looks promising . I love my 457 MTR's.......... skwerl
The reason I got the Lilja is that I have several 452s that I seldom shoot, so I'm selling some of them off to fund upgrading barrels. I'm not a collector, so if I don't shoot it it's got to go. I decided I had enough money tied up in 452s that I could upgrade without spending any real money. I think a 457 with a Lilja barrel is one of the best squirrel shooters you can get for around $800, plus its about the only one available in HM2. My 457's original barrel is in .22, and I probably won't ever use it. I bought a stainless 17 HMR barrel from CZ first, then the Lilja when I found out they made an HM2 barrel. I still might buy another Lilja in HMR.

I shot the 457 and 452 side by side the other day, and I like the 457 a lot better.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With leaves off. I won’t hesitate to bomb a squirrel at 125 yards. Might see what the wind is doing and adjust/compensate.
I like my rig loads.
Done kiled quite a few squirrels out of mulberry trees at 125-126 yards.
Crows at 140 too.