Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:00 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJJ View Post
Here's some more of the goodies that came in the box.

Rear butt plate with hook, sling with art, original palm rest, and bench rest attachment.

The crosshair in the Unertl scope is broken so I began taking it apart to DIY repair it. I have some titanium wire on order from flea bay. Here's the maker mark and serial. Although the crosshair is broken, the glass is crystal clear and looks amazing.

It's an easy DIY disassembly and repair. Take off these parts and remove the brass ring that holds the crosshair. Loosen the screws and then put on the new wire. I spent a couple days researching how to fix this and the process looks pretty straight forward.

Here's a close up of the broken crosshair. I'll put on new ones on when the titanium arrives and post an update.
I'm in the camp that says hang onto that scope until you are positive you have no need for it. I have three Unertls all mounted on Winchester 52s and I absolutely love them. The guns couldn't shoot any better with a modern high quality scope in my opinion. And they just look "right" on those guns.

I've replaced crosshairs on several of these scopes. It takes a steady hand, good eyesight (that cross hair wire tends to become almost invisible), and patience. You may find that a good magnifier on a stand is of great help. I'm sure there's many ways to go about this, but I learned to tighten one screw down on one end of the cross hair wire, and then while holding the wire against the other screw, tighten down so that as the screw head tightens down, it also tightens the cross hair wire. Be sure to run the wires on the 3 o'clock side of the screws so that tightening the screws clockwise takes any slack out of the wire as the head of the screw traps the wire between the screw head and the mounting base...and be sure you get the wire on the correct side of the screws on opposite sides or you will not have the wires properly aligned. Putting the wire on the wrong side of the screw and tightening will loosen tension on the cross hair wire.

For what it's worth.

Last edited by pump .22s; 09-06-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 PM
CoolJJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I'm in the camp that says hang onto that scope until you are positive you have no need for it. I have three Unertls all mounted on Winchester 52s and I absolutely love them. The guns couldn't shoot any better with a modern high quality scope in my opinion. And they just look "right" on those guns.

I've replaced crosshairs on several of these scopes. It takes a steady hand, good eyesight (that cross hair wire tends to become almost invisible), and patience. You may find that a good magnifier on a stand is of great help. I'm sure there's many ways to go about this, but I learned to tighten one screw down on one end of the cross hair wire, and then while holding the wire against the other screw, tighten down so that as the screw head tightens down, it also tightens the cross hair wire. Be sure to run the wires on the 3 o'clock side of the screws so that tightening the screws clockwise takes any slack out of the wire as the head of the screw traps the wire between the screw head and the mounting base...and be sure you get the wire on the correct side of the screws on opposite sides or you will not have the wires properly aligned. Putting the wire on the wrong side of the screw and tightening will loosen tension on the cross hair wire.

For what it's worth.

Thanks for the tips! I just got my wire today and I'm going to give it a try tonight. I ordered one of these headsets in 1.5x-13.0x to help with the job. Without the aid, I can't even see the wire. I just realized this year I've reached the age of requiring bifocals... can't focus my eye on small things, need to hold things far away... but too small to see at that distance. It's getting frustrating. My eye exam is next month and I also need to discuss with my doc seeing ghost circles in my peep sights.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I almost ordered one of those at one point, but I already had on hand a stand supported magnifier that worked. One of those headsets would be nice though.

Do talk to your eye doctor about your issues. I explained to my doc that I was having trouble seeing things well out of the top corners of my eyeglasses....as in situations where I could not look at the object straight on. He gave me a prescription that allows me to focus on objects not viewed straight on ..as in looking through a rifle scope.

Good luck with your repairs.

James
Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 AM
22Zip
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
old annie

Hi, Here is a pic. of my Annie 54 Match, Made in 1968, The other rifle in the back is a Winchester Model 52C. Reason I posted both rifles is that they were done over by Karl Kenyon, complete with triggers. I have all the accessories that the Win. came with, evenhttps://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191965&stc=1&d=https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191967&stc=1&d=1568220 9871568220987 the 1964 box of Win. ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3658.jpg (493.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3657.jpg (474.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:14 PM
gmuk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi
I use an Anschutz 54 from 1965 with the original heavy barrel.
Have put it in a BR50 (clone) stock and bedded it myself incl. a new steel recoil lug, which was missing.

been shooting it with the Anschutz 5039 'set trigger' for the last 2 years - found a
Karl Kenyon trigger for the early 54! - lightly damaged -

actually, only the external sear adjustment was broken.
This was a 'cam' bolt acting on the lower part of the trigger bar which had somehow broken off and was replaced by a 'home-made replacement, which would not stay in place for very long - so it was really unusable!

Machined for a better 'internal' sear adjustment screw on the trigger bar -
actually made a proper threaded bolt for that adjustment on the lathe, as the 'standard' tap & die tolerances for a given thread are too large for a 'tight adjustment'.
Haven't got a pic, as the trigger is in the gun.
But you get the idea.

Been using it for a few months - still trying to work out which is better - the 5039 set trigger or the Kenyon -

at the moment, after a few 'backs & forths' - shooting local competitions, I finally got the idea of how to set the Kenyon weight (VERY!! little at a time!)
set at about 5oz now - won't go much less without becoming unreliable

I would say 95% for the Kenyon as opposed to 85-90% to the Anschutz 5039 set trigger!

Will see how it goes this year with the Kenyon - last year with the 5039 I won both the club championship and the County championship at 50m Benchrest.
(UK rules - front rest only!)

I attach some pics

Best regards
Gunter
NRA Life 1974

NB - I hope I haven't upset any Kenyon aficionados! - but this trigger needed to be repaired to be usable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1small.jpg (416.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1aa.jpg (106.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ebay2.JPG (313.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by gmuk; 09-11-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: explanation
Old 09-11-2019, 03:34 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those Anshutz 54's shoot. Yours is no exception.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:02 PM
skruft
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you are right about date codes. Mine from 1961 has one.