Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Dangers of buying sight unseen.

I had need for a Steyr Zephyr in .22 with the threaded barrel, and ordered one. The rifle came in to my FFL, and when I picked it up, it had a couple of scratches in the left side of the receiver. The box was still factory sealed, I opened it. I called Steyr and Herbert sent a call tag, and repaired the scratches in the metal. I just opened the rifle box this afternoon, and the waffle pattern of the padding in the box is now transferred to the rifle stock. I have no idea what could cause that, I will post some pictures in the morning. Confidence is high that Steyr will step up and take care of it. The rifle was packed in the identical manner it was first shipped in.

There was some of the paper that inhibits rust wrapped around part of the rifle, and the same pattern exists under that paper. So, it seems to be something of a pressure / reaction deal other than foam contact. I am thinking the finish on the rifle was contaminated somehow while in the care of Steyr. The stock was in perfect condition when I packed it for shipment. They sent me no notice that there was damage to the stock.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shipper left it in a hot truck. Wood is organic and when it cooks it takes on new shapes like a steak on a griddle.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have seen the same thing happen when people store guns in hard cases with the egg/waffle type cushion long term. It was common for elderly to not use AC and the gun/cases could get really hot and suffer from moisture changes. I think Toomany may be right on.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 05:11 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Chemical reaction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Actually it's an off gassing of the bubble wrap and has zero to do with heat. It's a common reaction with cheap wrapping.
You were on the right horse, just a tad off trail. After sending Herbert some detailed pictures, he pointed out that there was a transfer of a certain design of the preservative paper that was now indelibly etched into the Steyr finish. The wrapping paper that was used is normally used to wrap Merkel shotguns. I thought the same as you did, but the waffle foam used in the box was exposed to the finish
When the rifle was initially packed for shipment. No bubble wrap was used.

Herbert is sending a call tag, at the very least I expect a new stock will be installed.

I am a little leery of this one particular purchase now, the refinished receiver still shows marks, and now this. I expect no less than a new rifle, in new condition, as that is what I paid for. I don’t think that is asking too much.
I have had a few problems along the way with a few gun purchases, at least it appears Steyr is on the ball, and trying. Expectation of a proper remedy is high.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:36 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep...sight unseen is risky. I've been lucky so far, having bought 6-7 guns from GB and have never had an isssue. That said, it's still enough of a risk that I'll buy locally if the cost difference is not too bad. Hope yours works out for you.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:54 PM
kioti65c
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to kioti65c
danger

The worst thig you can do is get on Gunbroker drunk
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Revvv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a challenge for some people. Now we are going to find out about a ton of new purchases on Monday morning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2019, 08:12 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
You were on the right horse, just a tad off trail. After sending Herbert some detailed pictures, he pointed out that there was a transfer of a certain design of the preservative paper that was now indelibly etched into the Steyr finish. The wrapping paper that was used is normally used to wrap Merkel shotguns. I thought the same as you did, but the waffle foam used in the box was exposed to the finish
When the rifle was initially packed for shipment. No bubble wrap was used.

Herbert is sending a call tag, at the very least I expect a new stock will be installed.

I am a little leery of this one particular purchase now, the refinished receiver still shows marks, and now this. I expect no less than a new rifle, in new condition, as that is what I paid for. I donít think that is asking too much.
I have had a few problems along the way with a few gun purchases, at least it appears Steyr is on the ball, and trying. Expectation of a proper remedy is high.
I am hoping to hear a good resolution to this situation. Best of luck.