bolt rework - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Randy's jeweling is something you won't get with some other bolts. If thats what you want of course. His work is unparalleled on a factory bolt. JWH is a nice bolt when on sale. Their service is hit and miss. I'd take the chance if the price was right. I've got 3 of them. At full price ($100 or so), nope. $45, yep. Not a lot of issues from my JWH bolts aside from one didn't agree with a Tactical Inc receiver very well. I have enough 10-22's I can move the bolts around to where they want to be though. Zero issues with my CPC bolts. Price, you're looking at around $70 to have Randy work the bolt, jewel it, and install a tuned extractor. Less if the latter two options are excluded (why would you exclude those services???) His turnaround is pretty quick as well.

In the end, seriously, how much is your bolt work going to improve things? Not a ton. This is more on the WANT side than the NEED side. I have zero Kidd bolts. I have 2 CPC bolts, and 3 JWH bolts. I've been happy with all of the ones I own.

In my opinion - JWH bolt when its on sale (which will be November probably when black Friday rolls around, or even December. They always go on sale around that time), CPC rework if you want a pretty jeweled bolt, and Kidd if you want to pay full price for a good bolt. The alternative is to use the factory bolt which likely works just fine already.

The bolt thing is an overblown part to throw money at. And I am guilty of doing so with no regrets.

(The scalloped JWH needs a good sandpapering and polishing, and then you can make one as pretty as a Kidd for a lot less cash) - though as I said, the one I put in my TI receiver kept hanging up on the back of the mag, and I had to swap it to a different gun (factory receiver) that had a CPC bolt in it. After that, both guns ran fine.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:09 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
My preference is a Kidd bolt, but they are $100+. I would never pay full price for a JWH. JMHO
Agreed. I paid full price for one of mine, but it was a Titanium Nitride that I was doing to compliment the color on a tan barrelled build. The other two were sale items. Like $38 for one and $45 for the other.

Only JWH I would pay full price for would be something like the Red Spider design or some particular custom looking engraving that I couldn't get anywhere else. My cousin has their Red Spider, and it turned out VERY GOOD. The customer service side of that was a catastrophe, but a couple weeks later all was well. Sometimes they just aren't on point with their shipping. If you receive what you wanted in the end, after a month or two you won't care anymore. But regardless of whether they are a sponsor or not, they have the tendency to suck from time to time. Edit this if you want, but thats the reality of it. Trying to cover it up is what it is.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Sure_Shot

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
CPC for the win! Always fantastic work and turnaround.

SureShot
Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybowhunter View Post
I have sent 3 of my bolts to Andy Trivette to get the "works" done.

He does an excellent job as well.

Not discounting other recommendations, but he is also an option.

http://www.trivettesgunsmithing.com/10.html
he did my 10/22 bolt, and the bolt in my Mark III Ruger pistol. My Mark III headspace was a bit excessive, and off square. With ANY sort of chamber build-up, I got failure to fires with light strikes. Now the headspace is right and true, FAR more reliable with solid strikes. Headspace on the pistol was .051 to .053

Last edited by Racer X; 09-04-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:48 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
he did my 10/22 bolt, and the bolt in my Mark III Ruger pistol. My Mark III headspace was a bit excessive, and off square. With ANY sort of chamber build-up, I got failure to fires with light strikes. Now the headspace is right and true, FAR more reliable with solid strikes. Headspace on the pistol was .051 to .053
He does excellent work. Absolutely not discounting CPC, of which I didn't know about back then, Andy was the guy I found at the time.

Really makes disassembly and assembly easier as well.

R/
Chris

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 PM
RWT22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had Trivette do 2 of mine and they work much better than the did before. The Thompson Center bolt has the same things done to it from the factory just for peoples information.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Ferox34

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
bolt work

I got 2 CPCs, and 2 JWH, I prefer the CPC, but the JWH if you can catch a decent sale price are just fine. Differences are beyond my shooting skills and reckoning.

Ferox34
Old 09-06-2019, 01:12 AM
kkd

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
CPC!

Randy is the MAN!
Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 AM
bullseye4845
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bolt rework

The best "bang" for the money, is to send your complete rifle to Randy for the complete work for approx $200, and will satisfy most shooters. I had Randy do my bolts years ago, and flyers disappeared, and became a more compact grouping. I don't think purchasing the bolt or bolt work from CPC, is wasting one's money, it only helps in the quest for the 'one' hole grouping. Years ago, a contest was made with several bolts of different makers, and CPC came out first--they always function well in various receivers. I don't remember who made the different bolts, just the results. I think the CPC bolt work started years ago, when a group of young shooters were competing , and came to Randy for help in improving their rifles accuracy. The bolt work he developed , resulted in the their starting to win. The bolt work is a needed entity for an accurate rifle in my opinion. Yes, the Kidd bolt in a Kidd receiver is outstanding; however, if you want a bolt to work , and function, and economical as well, you can't beat the CPC work. Just my opinion!