Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:26 AM
DeoreDX
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Academy P22QD in Grey

I wandered into Academy the other day just browsing and saw a threaded barrel variant of the P22QD in the display case. I've been wanting a small suppressor host and the P22 has not been on the short list because of it's checkered history but I made a impulse purchase. Price was $329 which is on the high side for a P22QD but it did come with the thread adapter and the fiber optic front post and a cool Magpul grey color I've not seen before. Also came with the two plain front sight posts (short and tall), extra back strap that kind of looks identical in size to the original back strap, non-threaded barrel adapter, and wrench for removing the barrel adapter.

As for the function it's operated about 95% trouble free so far.

-CCI Mini Mag 40Gr 100% problem Free
-Federal Automatch 40Gr 50% of the time after dropping the slide on a full magazine and firing the first round it would fail to cycle properly and not pick up the next round. I can "feel" the slide short stroke it feels pretty obvious. I thought I might have had a squib but it does it not consistently 100% of the time but it does do it with regularity. I've had zero problems if the magazine was only loaded with 9 rounds.
-Winchester M22 same as above
-CCI 40Gr 22LR standard velocity same as above

All that was shot stock unsupressed. I did slightly radius the hammer and polish it with various grits of sand paper down to 2000 grit. I didn't' go as far as I've seen in the P22 bible just enough to take the edge off right now. There was brass evident on the under side of the breech block where it rubs against the rounds in the magazine. I polished the under side with 1000-1200-2000 grit wrapped around a rectangular piece of plastic just the right size to fit in the slide. I didn't want to remove material just slick up the underside of the breech block so maybe it won't drag on the ammo when the magazine is topped off. Now when you rub your finger on that part of the breech block it feels very smooth and slick. Hopefully that's enough to get it working 100% with a full magazine. It's been fun to shoot and it's small enough my 10yo can properly operate it as well.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 AM
DeoreDX
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just to add a question how wet or dry do you guys run these? I've been doing a drop of oil and wiping it down with my finger to give it a flight film of oil on the rails. After cleaning it the first range session I wet it down a little more with a couple of drops on the rails. I just cleaned it all out and put dry lube on it to see if I can tell a difference between the two. They feel about the same maybe a slight advantage to the wet lube. But I wonder if that advantage will go away ones the rounds start flying and the oil starts collecting gunk.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:36 PM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on the new Walther.

It has been said that Walther recommends only CCI Mini Mags for the P22, and it looks like you proved that as well.

I use a light synthetic grease instead of oil on the slide groves and rails on the receiver. Not much, just enough to provide a thin coating. Stays put better and doesn't seem to pick-up as much gunk as oil.

The slide has a smoother "glide" feel with it IMO, but not enough to cause cycling problems.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:10 PM
doublechaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use dry lube only on mine.

Minimags or RGB only for reliable cycling. But I have some really old RGB from before they were having reliability problems, so YMMV.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:41 AM
DeoreDX
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I cleaned up all the wet lube and tried Otis dry lube I use in my 10/22. Polishing the bottom of the breech block seemed to have solved the 1st round woes with bulk pack ammo. Operated fine through 4 magazines today with bulk pack m22 ammo and a magazine of mini mag with my son.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The original hammer does not look like the revised hammer. The hammer was revised due to tip hanging up in the small gap between the safety drum and rear of the breech block. That hammer required more rounding off to remove the tip. The revised hammer...from about 2007...has a very small tip on the face that still can hang up the slide just of bit.

The weight of the P22 slide requires snappy ammo to cycle it. The velocities listed on the boxes is out of a rifle, not a short barrel pistol. Some of the bulk ammo simply doesn't generate enough blow back pressure.

When loading a magazine I like to pull the tab down a little and jiggle the stack of rounds to make sure they stagger. Sometimes this is required to get the 10th round in the mag. These pistols should function fine with a full magazine. But the ammo must be strong enough. 1917
Old 05-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call me mental, but I actually like M22s