Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Red dot mount cause stovepipes?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LeverGunFan 
#1 ·
Has anybody running an above port mount seen an increase in stovepipes? I seem to be getting empties pinching on a closing bolt way more than I ever have before. Gun has been respectably reliable since the first round, and for several thousand after.

I’ve recently installed a Venom above the port and noticed the mounting plate has lots of brass marks under it and I “think” at the same time my problem has arrived. Obvious answer is then it’s the mount right? I’m struggling to admit it and be out $50 so I’m curious if anybody else has had a problem like this. I’ve seen lots of pictures with similar setup so that’s what makes me think there’s a chance it isn’t the mount. Gun is clean with a good VQ extractor shooting quality ammo HV and STD velocity. Equal failures with both

#2 ·
hi maztech

While I am not familiar with the ruger platform, I do know that some of my teammates have had problems with brass hitting the red dot scope or the mount and bouncing back in the action before the bolt closes causing alibi's. Moving the mounts to a different mounting location could be a solution, check the ejector see if that is worn, those are where I would start.

Hope this helps.

Cranky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.