Match grade .22 WMR - make your wish - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

No, I would not because I could reload better ammo cheaper in a number of 22 caliber centerfire cartridges. When the 22rf 'shortage' hit I would have been in hog heaven if I had not sold my last 22 Hornet rifle and reloading equipment only months before. I had cast bullet loads from 22LR equiv. through 1450ish fps and jacketed faster. After some 3K cast bullet reloads and 2Kish jacketed bullet reload trials I figured I had worked out every level of performance that cartridge offered me and that were I going to continue in 22 cal CF it would be on a 223 based platform.
For myself, I dont need any intermediate cartridge with expensive ammo between 22LR and other CFs. I should just sell my 22Mag that has been languishing for several years now since I quit hunting.
ymmv
Old 02-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm looking at it this way, as many who are complaining about 22WMR accuracy, a large percentage of this group likely would pay a bit more for modest but noticeable improvements in accuracy. Really not expecting there ever to be anything approaching match grade. Plastic tipped bullets that are a couple thousandth's small in micro grooved bores are little better than muzzle loaders.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:27 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mea culpa for my poor choice of words...
I really shouldn't have used the word "match".
What I meant was accurate, as in ammo specifically produced to a high standard and expected to shoot better than standard grade ammo.
Well controlled dimensions, primer application, selected powders, powder charges, crimps, bullet weights, etc.
It seems like a quality made cartridge loaded with a good bullet would be long distance accurate, and would make for a lot of fans.
I'm guessing that the company that gets a grip on their production quality first becomes the go to for WMR fans.

And if they could keep velocities up while using a heavier, sleeker bullet that would be a plus.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:36 AM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Since .22lr Match worthy of the name will generally cost 2-4x your basic subsonic, would you folks be willing to pay a similar premium for Match .22wmr/.17hmr? Just wondering, I use these two rounds for hunting and have isolated loads for my favorite rifles that shoot 1- 1.5 MOA the majority of the time, in my 1717 and 1720 that's MOA or slightly better 90% of the time. Personally I'd likely go 2x for pretty much certain sub MOA out of say my 1717 and 1720 (Anschutz Sporters for those not familiar). I'm wondering how many would actually buy it if it was made.
I agree .. few would pay up for it .. wouldn't be worth the time to manufacture.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:28 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You also have a minority of people who get lemon rifles. Crowns, chambers, rifling, loose fit or wonky receivers. When this happens with a 22LR all the fan boys come out in force with suggestions. When it is a 22mag, the same 2-3 people post the same 'stuff' about its only a 22mag what do you expect? Then this group of burned customers believe it was ammo and the legend builds. This really goes back to the 17HMR intro. In order to pimp the 17 it had to be talked up better than the current options. And that is for good reason. Most new & improved ideas fade away over time and owners are heart broken. The 5mm rimfire is a good example.

I understand some people get 1/4" groups at 50 yards. My only guns that will do that are my heavy Anschutz rifles. If those same guns were made in 22mag, I would have a better sense of the ammo really can do. The current situation is fine for me. I target shoot 22lr. I hunt with 22mag and 223. I also have two heavy rifles in 223 for range play.

Life is good.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:55 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just my thoughts only, but originally the 22 mag was built to be more powerful than the 22lr for hunting purposes. It has remained just that. It is hard for me to justify spending more than twice the price of none target 22lr ammo. For the same 40 grain bullet and slightly more case brass and powder it doesn't seem to justify the price. The 22 mag is not the leader in sales compared to the long rifle as most shooters are just plinker's and don't need a magnum. The ammo manufacture's realize this.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Just my thoughts only, but originally the 22 mag was built to be more powerful than the 22lr for hunting purposes. It has remained just that. It is hard for me to justify spending more than twice the price of none target 22lr ammo. For the same 40 grain bullet and slightly more case brass and powder it doesn't seem to justify the price. The 22 mag is not the leader in sales compared to the long rifle as most shooters are just plinker's and don't need a magnum. The ammo manufacture's realize this.
You have to admit that with about 100 years of 22lr rifle production the 22lr cal has a slight numbers advantage, probably about a 75% to 80% .