Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:42 AM
scott36854

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
help choosing t bolt

within the last 2 years i have bought 9 sa 22's. yes, i am addicted to them. now i would like to move on to a t bolt. i only want one made in belgium. i know some were salt wood, but were they all? i'd like to have a really nice shooter that should/would appreciate in value. what should i look for? were there as many grades of them as the atd's?
side note- i am on vacation in indonesia. i met a young dude there that is from belgium that works at the embassy. i mentioned to him about my liking of the belgian made rifles. it was kindy noisy in there, but he said something about the factory was near him or something. sure wish i could have spoke with him for a while. wouldn't it be great to have a connection there and maybe be able to get some old literature or something. i'd like to have a homer tyler book or at least some info on these older rifles.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
They made a later version which I think was a “parts cleanup ” that had a different rear rear sight as I recall. Many of these later ones had birch stocks but I have seen one on this forum that had a beautiful walnut stock. These later Belgium T-Bolts never had saltwood. The real early originals didn’t have saltwood either. Most of the T-Bolts during the salt years did have salt wood.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott36854 View Post
within the last 2 years i have bought 9 sa 22's. yes, i am addicted to them. now i would like to move on to a t bolt. i only want one made in belgium. i know some were salt wood, but were they all? i'd like to have a really nice shooter that should/would appreciate in value. what should i look for? were there as many grades of them as the atd's?
There are basically three variations among the Belgian-made T-Bolts ...

- The "T1" model. This was the basic model with a plain-grade, uncheckered stock. I have never seen one of these with salt wood.

- The "T2" model. This was the deluxe model with a higher-grade, checkered stock. I have never seen one of these without salt wood.

- The "late production" model. These have been described as guns that were put together from spare parts after the salt wood debacle. Most, if not all, were "T2" configuration. I have only ever seen one of these, but I know there are others here on the forum who have considerable experience with them.

T1 models in excellent, but not new, condition seem to be selling for around $500. (As always, your mileage may vary.) The key, non-condition variable is the presence (or absence) of the rear peep sight, which has often been separated from the gun.

Warning: I would never buy a Belgian T-Bolt with the thought that it will gain much if any value. The salt wood issue has tarnished them all, even the T1 models.

Having said that, they are absolutely wonderful guns. The mechanism is remarkably simple and reliable (just different from conventional bolt guns), and everyone one I've shot has been remarkably accurate for a very lightweight sporter.

Enjoy!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 PM
britbike1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1967 t-2

Bought mine new in '67. Still have it. No salt wood. Love it. New aftermarket stocks are available if the metal is in good shape. I would buy one as a great shooter but I agree the Belgium SA is more collectible. If the price is right ($400??) get it. No salt wood, maybe higher price for t-2.