Ruger 17HM2 are in at Whittaker Guns - Page 16 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 06-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Achigan
US Navy Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2019
Location: 
West-central Indiana
Posts: 
66
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send 'em



Log in to see fewer ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Ditto!
If any of yours ever get shot out, y'all can send them up here, they'll fit in just fine in my squirrel woods!
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 06-22-2020, 07:18 PM
rc.

Join Date: 
Feb 2003
Location: 
ca
Posts: 
3,967
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Who said they couldn't do better? With the HMR and HM2 it's usually the nut behind the trigger that's the limiting factor..... Either will shoot circles around most 22 LR ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 PM
DaveInDenver

Join Date: 
Oct 2017
Posts: 
455
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
" Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
Any rifle that can only shoot 1" groups at 50 yds has no place in my gun safe."

" Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Ditto!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achigan View Post
If any of yours ever get shot out, y'all can send them up here, they'll fit in just fine in my squirrel woods!
Not sure what you are saying. Each to their own of course... but are you saying you are OK with a 22 rifle that can not do 1" in just 50yrds?
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 06-22-2020, 09:07 PM
DaveInDenver

Join Date: 
Oct 2017
Posts: 
455
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Who said they couldn't do better? With the HMR and HM2 it's usually the nut behind the trigger that's the limiting factor..... Either will shoot circles around most 22 LR ammo.
Do you have pics or results you can share of what the Ruger 17hm2 can do at 50 and 100 yrds?
Thx!
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 06-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Achigan
US Navy Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2019
Location: 
West-central Indiana
Posts: 
66
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
" Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
Any rifle that can only shoot 1" groups at 50 yds has no place in my gun safe."

" Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Ditto!"



Not sure what you are saying. Each to their own of course... but are you saying you are OK with a 22 rifle that can not do 1" in just 50yrds?
For tree rats, yes. I take my joy and pleasure in HUNTING squirrels, beating them in their living room. 50 yArds is well beyond my preferred distance. I've taken a few with my long bow at 5-20 yArds. I've taken them with my Ruger MK 4 at 7 feet. My woodsmanship has always been better than my marksmanship. My feeling of accomplishment is not in groups on paper that need a micrometer to measure. I greatly admire and, quite frankly am in awe of women and men who achieve that level of expertise, is just not my bag. Each to their own of course...
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 06-22-2020, 10:28 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
NE Kansas
Posts: 
1,484
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have .22s, 17Mach2 and 17HMR and all of them will shoot under1" at 50yds. One of my 17HMRs and 2 of my .22s will shoot .5" groups. All 3 of my rimfire rifles can whack squirrel eyes at 50. Now full disclosure here....The guns are that capable and I am too.....some of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 06-23-2020, 12:51 AM
DaveInDenver

Join Date: 
Oct 2017
Posts: 
455
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, OK.
The 1" at 50 yrds with what gun and if it is a keeper or not is an interesting offshoot (was that a pun) that I too commented upon. And, sorry if I am too zeroed in on the title of this thread... the Ruger 17HM2... which I'd like to get IF it can produce good groups. (FYI, I have a $100 Rossi 22LR that can shoot 1" groups at 50yrds. So that level of accuracy is not at all special.)

I think a minimum good group for the 17HM2 ammo would be 1" at 100yrds since it is "flat" out to 125yrds. If this accuracy threshold is off base... enlighten me.

So Whittaker has had this special edition (whatever) Ruger 17HM2 out for ~9 months and the question is (for me) can this rifle shoot good groups of 1" at 100yrds right out of the box (after some break-in of course)?

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 06-23-2020 at 01:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 06-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Achigan
US Navy Veteran

Join Date: 
Jun 2019
Location: 
West-central Indiana
Posts: 
66
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Minimum expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
OK, OK.
The 1" at 50 yrds with what gun and if it is a keeper or not is an interesting offshoot (was that a pun) that I too commented upon. And, sorry if I am too zeroed in on the title of this thread... the Ruger 17HM2... which I'd like to get IF it can produce good groups. (FYI, I have a $100 Rossi 22LR that can shoot 1" groups at 50yrds. So that level of accuracy is not at all special.)

I think a minimum good group for the 17HM2 ammo would be 1" at 100yrds since it is "flat" out to 125yrds. If this accuracy threshold is off base... enlighten me.

So Whittaker has had this special edition (whatever) Ruger 17HM2 out for ~9 months and the question is (for me) can this rifle shoot good groups of 1" at 100yrds right out of the box (after some break-in of course)?
We're both on the same page.
I agree with you.
<1"@50 would be totally within my expectation from a new .22, that's why my hunting RIFLE is a Savage FVSR.
If I buy another skwerl RIFLE it'll prolly be an HM2, hoping for minute of eyeball accuracy.

Last edited by Achigan; 06-23-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2017
Location: 
Metairie LA
Posts: 
226
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 10 rimfire rifles. My Ruger HM2 is the 8th least accurate, trailed only by an open sight Henry 22LR lever gun with open sights and a Mossberg 464 22LR lever action with a 2X shotgun scope. It has the stiffest operating bolt of any gun I have ever owned. I haven't made a single 1" 5 shot group at 50 yards with it yet. I probably don't have 100 rounds through it yet. It splits cases more regularly than a Marlin HM2 shooting the same ammo.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheriff's Department Gun Auction timberbeast Open Rimfire 60 03-24-2014 07:06 PM
A Ruger Mk III C/T, some Clark Custom Guns parts, and a small bottle of EEZOX. Mike Nomad Mark III 9 11-05-2013 12:52 PM
August 25 yd Semi Auto Official Match Bulletin Alaska Mike Match Talk and Score Bulletins 5 09-06-2005 04:56 PM
Humble Pie, or, Shooting at Perry obx22 3 & 4 Position Shooting 7 07-28-2004 08:14 PM
Ruger Announcement rimfireriter Ruger - Other 4 07-09-2004 12:46 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x