Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:19 PM
zxstevens54
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1976 View Post
My Savage 93R is a pretty accurate rifle and is well under your budget.
Same here. I bought mine around 7-8 years ago, I believe. Stainless steel bull barrel with a laminate stock.

20130525_114625_zps3a849854.jpg
Old 02-05-2020, 08:03 PM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
This talk of cz and accurate 17hmr is a far stretch... some of the least accurate hmrs i've been around. I have semi autos that shred the cz hmrs. Find a marlin917vs or savage I prefer the b17 over the 93s in design but the accuracy isnt the reason. I prefer heavy barrel savage and Marlins they seem better than their sporters.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:04 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to retract my earlier post. I misunderstood my friend about the accuracy of his CZ 17HMR. Such is email correspondence. He just sold his rifle because it was inconsistent. Now looking for a different HMR.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 PM
Tsb3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I owned my 93R 17GV for quite a few years. No complaints about the accuracy, no complaints at all until about a year ago. The magazine started spitting all the rounds out. Called savage customer service and told them about it. They took my serial number and sent me 2 new mags, free of charge. While waiting for the new mags, I used needle nose pliers and tightened the crimped tabs on the corners of the magazine and it's been working fine every since. Still haven't opened the 2 new mags.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:11 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Light Strikes, Spitting Magazines and poor feeding with 10 rounders unless you push up on the base. Savages have issues even though they are basically solid guns that shoot well. CZ 452s in 17hmr are wonderful shooters. If your CZ doesn't shoot 17 hmr maybe it's a newer model with interchangeable barrel or ammo related. Ruger American can be good performers and magazines are good but wood stocks are more expensive and they don't have a good extraction system that can cause problems with the 17hmr which needs the most extraction power for the rimfires. Marlins are pretty decent and would be on the top of my lust for rifles around 250 or less.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:46 AM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Light Strikes, Spitting Magazines and poor feeding with 10 rounders unless you push up on the base. Savages have issues even though they are basically solid guns that shoot well. CZ 452s in 17hmr are wonderful shooters. If your CZ doesn't shoot 17 hmr maybe it's a newer model with interchangeable barrel or ammo related. Ruger American can be good performers and magazines are good but wood stocks are more expensive and they don't have a good extraction system that can cause problems with the 17hmr which needs the most extraction power for the rimfires. Marlins are pretty decent and would be on the top of my lust for rifles around 250 or less.

Its obvious you haven't been around the b17 series they have changed the magazine and other features.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Macc

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Check out ChuckHawks .17 rimfire rifle accuracy test for some interesting info.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:13 AM
ajole
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerman View Post
This talk of cz and accurate 17hmr is a far stretch... some of the least accurate hmrs i've been around. I have semi autos that shred the cz hmrs. Find a marlin917vs or savage I prefer the b17 over the 93s in design but the accuracy isnt the reason. I prefer heavy barrel savage and Marlins they seem better than their sporters.
I’m not sure where you see inaccurate CZ’s. My 455 CZs in .17HMR shoot fine. One is an American, one is the Full Stock.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:10 PM
paochow

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Bummed to hear the newer CZs might not be as good. My CZ 453 Varmint .17HMR is the most accurate firearm I own.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerman View Post
I’m not sure where you see inaccurate CZ’s. My 455 CZs in .17HMR shoot fine. One is an American, one is the Full Stock.
+1 My 452 Varmint 17HMR is ridiculously accurate. I have yet to see another manufacturer's .17 that's even close.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:21 AM
papatrout65

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would agree that my 453 varmint is the most accurate rifle I own. Although my Marlin 917 VSF is right there with it.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:55 AM
cmhbuckmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I agree, up your budget $100 or so and get a CZ. They're a great value for the $ and have great resale.
I second the CZ option. Just bought a 457 .17 HMR Varmint, went to the range, zeroed the scope (4-12x40 Hawke) and in minutes I was shooting 1" groups at 50, 75 and 100 yards. The wood stock is beautiful and I was also able to adjust the trigger to 1 1/2 lbs.

Look on Gunbroker for a good selection of CZs, most big box store don't carry them.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:24 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (96)
CZs are "some of the least accurate HMRs that I have been around"? I think you need to get out more. I am sure that your comment is meant seriously,but, to me, and I am older than dirt, it is borderline ludicrous.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:52 PM
wolfcreek2009

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received my new CZ 457 Varmint in .17 HMR last week. I have only put 10 shots down the pipe to sight in the scope. At 25 yards (putting the scope on paper) the first two shots when through the same hole and the third put the group at .35" center to center. Then I moved the target out to 75 yards and shot two more 3 shot groups (kind of quickly) and one was .81" and the other .86" center to center. This was with CCI A17. I suspect trying other ammo and getting more rounds down the tube will tighten things up even more. And of course taking a bit more time on my shots.
I have to say, I am delighted! I did not do anything to the gun. I will check the grub screw torque and the piller screws if the gun doesn't start shooting even better. But for now, why mess with something that appears to be correct
Old 03-04-2020, 01:29 PM
cmhbuckmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek2009 View Post
I received my new CZ 457 Varmint in .17 HMR last week. I have only put 10 shots down the pipe to sight in the scope. At 25 yards (putting the scope on paper) the first two shots when through the same hole and the third put the group at .35" center to center. Then I moved the target out to 75 yards and shot two more 3 shot groups (kind of quickly) and one was .81" and the other .86" center to center. This was with CCI A17. I suspect trying other ammo and getting more rounds down the tube will tighten things up even more. And of course taking a bit more time on my shots.
I have to say, I am delighted! I did not do anything to the gun. I will check the grub screw torque and the piller screws if the gun doesn't start shooting even better. But for now, why mess with something that appears to be correct
I found the CCI V-MAX with the polymer tip to be the most accurate, but the Hornaday & Federal did fine.