Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:46 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Norinco JW-15

My father-in-law had several of the Norinco rifles both the JW-15 and the little SA22 look alike. They always shot very well and we used them as truck guns and coonhunters. We never worried about scratching or dinging them as they were usually around a $100 dollar gun.

I just got one I have to do a little trigger work on for a guy and he really wants to trade me for another rifle I have. I'm interested in it as I would like to see how it shoots and to play with it a little and then probably let it go. My question is what's a good value for it? He seems to think they go for anywhere from $250-350 and from what I can find I don't think he is to far off. This guns in very good condition with excellent bluing and the stock is about as good as any of these can be.

I've already tuned the trigger up and it's dropping at anout 2lbs 9oz with just a little creep. I want to work on the safety as it's a little stiff and then a little work to polish the bolt and action so it smooths up. I don't think this thing has hardly been shot so some of the things that would have naturally smoothed up with a thousand rounds down the tube are still stiff or a little rough but not bad.

I hate to allow to much and then put a lot of time in it and still not get my money out of it. Is it worth that $250-275 plus shipping if I go to sell it later to someone? Not having hardly any shows makes it kind of hard to sell some guns locally. Here are a few pics. I put the scope on to shoot it but it does have the original sights.

Thanks for your thoughts on the little rifles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200911_205534.jpg (552.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_205611.jpg (512.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_205625.jpg (438.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_205654.jpg (519.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_205556.jpg (466.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-12-2020, 12:41 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This only my opinion but I'd look for something better even if I had to pay a bit more for it.

I've owned a couple of the JW-15 rifles years ago. While they look like a BRNO #1, they are not by any stretch. Magazines don't interchange even though they look like they will. The Chu wood is soft and dents easily. Fit and finish isn't all that great either.

You'd be far better off with a used Winchester 69A or a Remington bolt action repeater and for not much more money you can buy a CZ-452, 455 or 457. Those are rifles you can get your money back on.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:42 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
I would not pay that for one. They do seem to have the reputation of shooting ok. I have passed up 4 or 5 maybe more from $100-150 in years past. They seem to have gone up some the last few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2020, 05:53 AM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I own three of these the last i bought about one year ago cost me $200.00 but it was in near mint condition. And the Brno mags will work i have one that i use in my rifles and also the BRNO single shot adapters sold here on RFC ( by Pat Nolan) will work also. I do not leave my rifles in stock form, with a little work these become a very good shooting rifles. Not saying they will be in the BR range but very good hunting and informal competition .One day while squirrel hunting on a slow day i sit a target up at approx 75 yards and used a blow down for a rest fired three rounds into a group just over 1/2". I have killed squirrels at that distance to. All three of my rifles love the Wolf ammo the CCI mini mag is almost as good really they are jus not that picky with . I use the CCI sv with the tip flatten that works real well on squirrels as good as CCI sgb. These are good rifle if you like to tinker but they shoot pretty good in stock form just not as pretty as a CZ.

And that wood used for the stocks is not really that bad not walnut for sure . But after bedding ,reshaping and staining it makes a pretty good strong stock. But if you want walnut they are available from a couple of places.

Last edited by 50Shifty; 09-12-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
To answer your question, I think $200 to $250, is reasonable. These guns are copies, and sold for 1/3 to 1/2 of the guns they copied. If you were going to keep it , maybe a little more, but since you want to turn it over , i think you would lose money at the asking price.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:24 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks guys, my goal isn't looking for a squirrel rifle it's to help this guy out a little. I have too many good shooters already. Maybe I will allow him $200 on trade and then play with it a little bit.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:02 AM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
Thanks guys, my goal isn't looking for a squirrel rifle it's to help this guy out a little. I have too many good shooters already. Maybe I will allow him $200 on trade and then play with it a little bit.
That sounds reasonable. I sent you a pm.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:46 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a JW15 I bought new for $99 in the late 80s. I bought it because it was a clone of a Brno #1 and you couldn't buy a Brno in the US because Czechoslovakia was a communist country. Now you can buy all the CZs you want but you can't buy a Norinco. Also it was cheap.

The stock is made of the softest, whitest wood imaginable. I've seen popsicle sticks with more figure. I had to recarve the safety to make it operable with one hand. I've been able to use CZ magazines in it though.

It's been my go to squirrel rifle for decades because it's very accurate with CCI Small Game Bullet and because I don't have to worry about dinging the stock while dragging it around the woods.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:02 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Seems odd, you could not buy a CZ because it was a Commie country but you could get a Norinco from CHINA. Have to think on that.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:28 PM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
Seems odd, you could not buy a CZ because it was a Commie country but you could get a Norinco from CHINA. Have to think on that.
What he said is true about Eastern Bloc countries prior to the USSR folding it's tent. Importers could not bring in guns made in Warsaw Pact countries for resale. OTOH, private individuals could import single guns. I brought in a 1981 CZ-75 that I purchased new in 1985 in Norwich, England. I came back in 1987 and still own the pistol seen below. I also brought back several Russian made shotguns. England did not have restrictions on goods imported from Eastern Europe.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:19 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have one that I bought about 15 years ago for $50. I was in excellent condition, but was missing the magazine. The CZ 452,455 magazines work perfectly in it, so that wasn't an issue. The wood is very soft, but the rifle does shoot quite well once you find the ammo it likes. So, to answer your question...I personally wouldn't pay more than $150 for one. However, to help someone out I wouldn't feel bad about paying more if that's what it took.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I will agree with everyone about the wood being white and some of the softest around. Think I paid about $67.00 for mine back in the mid 90's. The mags will interchange with the Brno No1's, at least it does with the BRNO No1 I have.
My JW15 is of average accuracy with most everything except CCI Mini Mags which give well under .5 inch groups at 50 yds. with several groups into the 3's.

Steve.........

Last edited by Steve E; 10-02-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:24 PM
tortoise1956
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just posted about a spring kit I bought for my JW-15 from gunbloke.com. After installation and a little polishing, the trigger breaks at 1 lb 5.5 oz. The website is:

https://www.gunbloke.com/ecommerce/n...ng-upgrade-kit

If you're interested.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:22 AM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I owned one several years ago. I think I paid $175 and sold it for about the same. I refinished the stock on mine while I owned it. They are fairly rough and not super nice and refined, but for the money they probably shoot better than they should. Trigger jobs are easy and will help a lot.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:13 PM
Pressman
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one that I paid $200 for this past January.
It has a Norinco action fitted into a modified Win 52 stock with a heavy Schilen match barrel and an unknown adjustable trigger. It is/was set up for BR-50 shooting.

I had to refinish the stock and make a block for the magazine well slot in the frame. Then take on the extremally hard cocking. Since the firing pin is a massive piece of steel the older gentleman who built it found the strongest spring he could get. That made the bolt nearly impossible to lift. Trimming 4 coils off that spring helped.

With a 36x scope and the right ammo it's a one hole shooter.

Ken