Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

.17 Cal Rifles

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  nodak 
#1 · (Edited)
SCHOOL ME - .17HMR vs .17HM2 vs .17WSM

Hey gang-

I've always wanted a .17 cal rifle, probably a bolt action for simplicity, reliability & accuracy, but I don't know enough about them to make an informed choice.

Please- school me on the available choices- .17HMR, .17HM2, .17WSM.... please educate me on these.

I'd like pros/cons, ammo availability, and recommended manufacturers to look at. I'm not looking to spend a bunch here, just want something accurate and reliable to try.

DrGunner

#2 ·
They are fun. Ammo choices are limited. Definitely no Winchester! I have a cz 455 American 17 hmr . It’s a great shooter , and the holes are so tiny. I think all the bullets are made by Hornady, but assemble by CCI . The lighter ones are faster .

I also have a Ruger 77/17hmr in a boat paddle stock. It’s also a gas to shoot! Right now I’m looking at a Annie on Classic fire arms it’s under $700, 1517 D. But you can get a cz for less , or a Savage for less, or a Marlin for less.

They are not as accurate as their 22 counterparts in the same model, that maybe due to the ammo limitations. It’s a hunting round so minute of varmint is what you get. But once in a while when there is no wind, you can put 3 shots right on top of each other.

I haven’t shot the other 17s, but they sound nice too!

#6 ·
I have (3) 17 HMR’s and while enjoy still shooting them, I feel the 17 Hornet addresses the inconsistency of the CCI ammo based on my experience. I use the 17’s for hunting applications thus am not shooting a high volume of rounds and can opt to reload if needed on the 17 Hornet. On my 17 HMR’s I found the CCI offerings in 17 gr TNT & 20 gr XTP rounds to work the best for accuracy - they also had the least extreme spread (fps) during my testing. Winchester 17 HMR ammo did not produce anything close to acceptable in any of my rifles.

CZ 452 LUX - 17 HMR *
CZ 453 Varmint - 17HMR
CZ 455 Varmint - 17 HMR *
Steyr Zephyr II - 17 HMR
Sako Quad Range - 17 HMR
Also had a 14” barrel in 17 HMR back when I had T/C’s

* used as funding for upgrade

CZ 527 Varmint - 17 Hornet . . . My preferred 17 :bthumb:

#7 ·
I love my CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR. It's nice to change up from the .22lr sometimes without going to a centerfire. I think of the 3 17's that you mentioned the HMR is the easiest to find ammo for. IMO the HMR will probably always be readily available because of the number of manufacturers who produce rifles in that caliber.

#8 · (Edited)
I appreciate the responses so far, very much.
Sounds like it'd be a .17hmr, and I'm a CZ fan so if I could find a 452 Varmint for a decent price I might bite. If I want superior accuracy, .17 Hornet... but if I'm going CF, Would it not make more sense to go with .22 Hornet as I already have so much cleaning gear for that caliber?

In that regard, I've always wanted a CZ 527 Euro Varmint in .223.
I have a 527 in 7.62x39 that I acquired to have a bolt gun to accurately deliver that round which I keep on hand for my SKS & that little carbine did not disappoint.
I've always wanted to have a bolt gun to accurately deliver the ammo I stock for my ARs.

Decisions, decisions...

I ran a search and found quite a few .17hmrs for under $500. How would y'all rate them for EXPECTED accuracy between say, Ruger RPR, CZ (457, 455, 452), & Savage.

Each manufacturer has several offerings... which model of each brand would y'all say has the best chance of making me happy?

I'm inclined to look for a CZ 452 based on my
past experience with them. I have a 452 Varmint, 452 Silhouette, 452 Style, & 452 Scout, all in .22LR. The Varmint and Scout are outstanding rifles, especially the Varmint. Before I bought my Anschutz 1712, my 452 Varmint was the single most accurate FACTORY rifle that I have ever owned out of dozens. While I do have full custom 1022s that can keep up with it, they cost quite a bit more and required quite a bit of tuning and work to get there. The 452 Silhouette is decent but not as impressive as the Varmint & Scout. The Style is still NIB & unfired.
My point is that I have never had a bad 452.

Given the vast number of offerings available under $500, I guess I just like to know where my money would be best spent. I am well aware that it is luck of the draw whether I get a hummer or not, from any manufacturer.

Thanks again, for your time & advice.

DrGunner

#9 ·
17hmr is the best of the 3 for a newbie although some of us love the HM2. Ammo is just not as widely available as it is with the hmr. The super mag is really not needed for squirrel sized game out to 150 yards. When you get beyond that the wind really affects how well you can hit and I just don't think a 17 is optimum for 200 to 300 yards where the wsm is "better". Who gets those kinds of shots anyways? The HM2 is great to 120 yards and the HMR to about 150 before energy becomes an issue. The faster the round, the more hearing damage you can expect unprotected. rc

#11 ·
a 17 HMR can’t deliver the same happiness as a a 22. There’s just no ammo available that will shoot consistently small groups! The happiness is in that perfect shot ,that little hole , the sound, the zing of exhilaration from the acceleration of that hot little Rimfire . It’s hunting accurate not range accurate.

If you want hot and accurate your best choice would be the .223. I have a Savage 12 FV , that is as accurate as any. 22 I have . It’s nothing fancy , Tupperware stock , pre accu Trigger, bull barrel. But it will put 5 inside a dime at 50 yards with 55 grain cheap ammo. It has a Tasco scope with a prairie dog on it.

I’m sure the CZ in 223 would be spectacular!! Just like the one you have in 762 x39.

If you want to try out a 17hmr, you can borrow my cz 455 American. If you fall in love with it, I’m sure we could work out a trade. You have desirable bedding skills::eek:

#14 · (Edited)
Brother DrGunner; First please let me apologize for my RFC family dropping The ball. The hm2 is without a doubt the very best squirrel caliber ever made. But it won't do what a HMR is capable of. HMR,s in my experience out preform 22wmr,s on chucks beyond 100yds. But neither can do what a 17HH can. HH,s fill the bill between the HMR and 223 doing everything the WSM can and more. So being a doctor im sure you you will opt for all three as my RFC family would recommend. Im happy owning them and having the sharpest scapel for each job. Good luck. ps It appears you have time in the next year or so to stockpile all the ammo you will need.

#18 · (Edited)
Hey gang-

I've always wanted a .17 cal rifle, probably a bolt action for simplicity, reliability & accuracy, but I don't know enough about them to make an informed choice.

Please- school me on the available choices- .17HMR, .17HM2, .17WSM.... please educate me on these.

I'd like pros/cons, ammo availability, and recommended manufacturers to look at. I'm not looking to spend a bunch here, just want something accurate and reliable to try.

DrGunner
(Intentionally ignoring all other responses...)
17WSM: highest power, limited ammo choices, limited rifle choices. If you want to reach out and touch larger varmints, great choice.

17HMR: high power, widest range of ammo choices (although everything other than Winchester is made by CCI, and the Winchester I've tried has shot like garbage). Good to excellent accuracy, plenty of quality rifles to choose from. I have 4 of these. Plenty of reach to 100y and beyond.

17HM2: lower power, sweet shooter, ammo can be hard to find. Some options for chambering, including some good deals on high quality used rifles. Eley made some match grade ammo for a while, but it's out of production and not easy to find. But the other two never had a match grade ammo option.

Overall I'd select 17HMR over and over because of availability in ammo and quality rifles.

#19 ·
#20 ·
I have a CZ 455 walnut stocked heavy barrel varmint in .17 HMR. My buddy and I never shoot it at 50 yards because the groups are too small to measure and it is a waste of ammunition. At 100 yards it will always shoot into 1 1/4 inches with five shots and often less. We have practice golf balls hung at 100 yards and we can hit them every time from the bench.

CCI's A17 ammunition is a good round. It delivers 2660 feet per second in autoloading rifles and apparently is up around 2900 feet per second in bolt actions. That is getting close to .17 WSM velocity.

#21 ·
I too have the 455 varmint 17hmr,and just as stated above, it can be boringly accurate at the range. Challenging it and myself,I use the stickies for covering holes at 100yards. Also have the 527 varmint in .223,it is also a Very sweet rifle. Handloads can make 5 shot group all touching

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.