Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help me find a sporter stock for my daughter.

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  DrGunner 
#1 ·
Hey gang- it’s been a while since I’ve built anything 1022, I used to be rather prolific in my build threads. My kids are at the point that they are growing out of their youth stocks and into more standard/adult size stocks. I will be taking delivery on a Kidd classic barreled action with a 16.5 ULW barrel for my 11-year-old daughter very soon- thanks to my good friend & all around great guy, dbr65. I am looking for a nice checkered walnut stock for her, but I’m not sure what to buy.
Years ago, Stockys used to sell a “Deluxe Sporter” stock, available in AAA Claro walnut, which featured checkering @ the pistol grip and foreend. It had classic, elegant lines.... but I just checked and they’re no longer offered.
I suppose I could look for a used Ruger DSP stock, but I’d like something with nicer walnut if I can find it.

Anyone have any source for a stock that would fit the bill here?

I plan to Devcon bed it with a Watts A683 flange pillar, beefy VQ escutcheon, untapped to 1/4-20 and rear tang. I’ll post a pic heavy thread when I build it.

Please, post links to vendors.

Regards,

DrGunner

PS- If you have something you’re thinking of offering me for sale, please send a PM and don’t mention anything in this thread.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I can’t seem to post links, but Rimfire Sports has some nice stocks you might want to look at. The Trailblazer, at first glance it looks like a laminate, but click on it and they offer it in solid walnut , and a Volquartsen Stock, which is Laminate , but very nice looking walnuttty Laminate. S&P has DSP stocks, but they are birch, not walnut.

The nicest walnut stocks I’ve seen lately are on the Altamont 1022s, but I’ve never seen a stock takeoff . You might have to buy the gun, and sell the action.imho, definitely worth it. Oil rubbed French walnut all the way!

Good luck on your hunt for a stock for your princess. But remember, she’s a girl, and she’s 11,so you might want to ask her to help you pick out the stock:bthumb:

#3 · (Edited)
Well I can't seem to post links, but Rimfire Sports has some nice stocks you might want to look at. The Trailblazer, at first glance it looks like a laminate, but click on it and they offer it in solid walnut , and a Volquartsen Stock, which is Laminate , but very nice looking walnuttty Laminate. S&P has DSP stocks, but they are birch, not walnut.

The nicest walnut stocks I've seen lately are on the Altamont 1022s, but I've never seen a stock takeoff . You might have to buy the gun, and sell the action.imho, definitely worth it. Oil rubbed French walnut all the way!

Good luck on your hunt for a stock for your princess. But remember, she's a girl, and she's 11,so you might want to ask her to help you pick out the stock:bthumb:
Thanks for the input-

My 11 year old daughter has been shooting rimfires since she was 4 or 5... this will be her 4th rimfire. She started on air rifles in the back yard, and her first rimfire was a single shot Crickett at age 5, when she demonstrated adequate understanding and application of safety protocols to start on the bench with a single load, single shot bolt action. She had a choice between a pink & black Crickett at the time, and chose black. She spit my own words back at me at Cabelas when she chose black-
"I don't want a pink rifle. Guns should never look like toys, that's dangerous."
She has a full Kidd 10-22 custom in a shortened birch youth stock, bedded with pillar & rear tang, but it's an 18" Kidd LW which should have been named a midweight, IMHO- as it weighs 2lb, and is too heavy for her to shoot offhand. She shares a CZ 452 scout with her brother, and has a Ruger SR22 pistol. She shoots everything that I let her, including my CZs, Anschutz, AR15s & SKS.
She prefers blue steel and walnut over laminates, and loves "black rifles".
Although she did choose a purple and black laminate Barracuda for her 18" to move into- she only wanted purple if it was more black than purple, with dark purple- again, she doesn't want anything that might be mistaken for a toy.

We took a few hours together and looked at the entire inventory at 10-22 RaceRifle, Stocky's, and Boyds together.

She likes the TrailBlazer w/rollover comb- but wants walnut- and checkering.

When I asked her to describe her idea of a perfect stock, she said, "I really like the stock on your new one (Anschutz 1712). I'd like one like that in my size- with a smaller grip and normal tip, not that weird thing."

Basically, she likes the vertical pistol grip and palm flare on my 1712, but not the Schnabel nose.

The young lady knows exactly what she wants. Trouble is, I don't think it exists, without going full custom. I wonder if a take off stock from a 1712 could be inletted for a 10-22? I could easily shorten the LOP, reduce the size of the pistol grip, and reshape the Schnabel or lop it off and add an ebony tip and grip cap.

Hmmmmm....

Toomany22s- maybe send me the links via PM or email?
Again- I appreciate the input & I'll take another look at the TrailBlazer. As I said- she liked the TB at first glance because of the rollover comb (small head), but we only saw laminate offerings.

Please folks- keep the suggestions coming

Regards

DrGunner

#6 ·
I appreciate the offer, Sir- she already has a birch youth stock that I'll likely drop this 16.5" ULW barreled action in for now, and pillar bed her 18" LW into the Barracuda that's been on a shelf for 2 years. I will wait for fall to do it; my garage is heated for winter, but no AC, so it gets to 100+ in there during summer, especially when hot engines are parked inside.

Thanks for such a thoughtful gesture- moments like this are what make this such a great community to be a part of:bthumb:

DrGunner

#8 ·
Yeah- I scanned eBay til my eyes bled. Plenty of birch, I did find one walnut DSP, but it was plain fugly. I had to laugh at folks selling birch stocks, listed as walnut and I even saw one that called it "Mahogany?"

:rolleyes:

DrGunner

#10 ·
Thanks- I saw those, following Toomany22's lead.
No checkering, but that's likely not necessarily a deal breaker.

I found these at Stockys- which we somehow missed on our first run through their offerings- it's a "Classic Checkered" sporter, available in Walnut, made by Keystone Sporting Arms.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/new-r...tocks-920-bull-fbc-gloss-or-satin-finish.html

I sent an email directly to KSA to inquire about whether they sell and higher grade walnut, besides "American" which often means "plain mud, no figure".
At age 11, she's already got a keen eye for figured walnut.

I'm also investigating a full custom silhouette stock made by my dear friend George aka azguy.

Now I just have to wait for KSA to reply, and for her Highness to get back from the local Ce-Ment Pond!!!

Thanks y'all-

DrGunner

#13 ·
That's exactly as described- Ruger DSP. Danke Schöen!

JTJ- talk about irony! I logged onto Altamont twice last night and twice earlier today, and all I could see was a "website under construction" page. Thanks for the link!

Some interesting designs there...

BUT- my search is over.

See my next post-

Thanks for the links, gents!

DrGunner

#15 · (Edited)
Problem Solved: George to the rescue!!!

So, my dear friend George aka azguy will be carving a custom silhouette stock for my darling daughter Alyssa. She wanted a true silhouette stock, or as close as we could get. George sent me a photo of a really nice black walnut blank with great figure. Bear in mind, the stock that is sketched on this slab is not the design she will be getting.

We decided to start with a silhouette stock similar to a Merier or Pharr stock.
Extremely tall comb for vertical head position, near vertical pistol grip, wide palm flare which will have a grip cap, and pronounced cheek rest. I will be using the Boyds 45° corner method for measuring Alyssa's LOP as well as my wife's tonight.... My wife's as a rain gauge to the LOP Alyssa will likely grow into in the next seven years. George is going to carve a try stock about 75% the OAL of a true silhouette stock, with the foreend shortened somewhat to look proper with a 16.5" ULW barrel.
I will install the barreled action in the try stock and have her shoot it offhand for a few sessions and make whatever markings and adjustments are necessary. We will build the stock to Alyssa's current LOP, and either build the stock with an adjustable LOP butt plate system, provided that it does not add too much weight. Either that or I can simply add 1 inch of length to the stock by installing a Morgan adjustable butt pad in the concave variety down the road, which she much prefers as I have them on a few of my rifles. As always, I'll defer to George's expertise in all things, I'll just provide the measurements. George will also be inletting it for a Watts A683 flange pillar and Kidd rear tang. When all is said & done, I will be doing the Devcon bedding per my usual technique. As for checkering, that can always be done later should she decide she wants it, but likely won't be necessary with the vertical pistol grip.

Here are some similar stock profiles:

Two years ago, I would have SWORN I was DONE building/bedding 10-22s. Fat chance. My son Connor has outgrown his PMACA chassis (more like he's grown INTO the Raptor stock he's always wanted. More specifically - he wanted an Applejack Raptor. I managed to score an Applejack Raptor from my dear friend horsefly last month, in a convoluted deal where I sold my Autumn Blaze Raptor to RFC member Ironsights101, when he was visiting friends here in the states from England, where he could not get one. His preference was for an Autumn Blaze Raptor, so I sold him mine & shipped it to him while he was stateside, and Horsey made the whole thing happen by replacing it w the red/black my boy wanted.
Plus, my daughter wants her Kidd 18" LW bedded into the purple Barracuda I've had laid by for a couple years.

So- it looks like I'll be back at it with at least 3 build/pillar bedding threads come this fall/winter. No way I'll do them in summer- My garage is heated which is awesome in winter, but I have no AC out there and in summer it gets above 100 during the day.

As always, I am appreciative of everyone's help and input and couldn't be more pleased/excited about the end result here. This one's going to be something special for my little lady.

Respectfully,

DrGunner

#17 ·
Late to the Dance.......again.

I love the idea of having George carve your own. I was going to recommend that you go out to Ebay & purchase a beautiful stock that is out there now from a seller by the name of Beever156. I've done business with him & he's a class guy.

Wood Musical instrument Varnish Hardwood Wood stain

Re-work the grip area to fit your daughter's hand, (I do that with many of mine). Then send it to George for a tip/cap/butt plate & bedding pillar. Then send it to Ek-Marlin for some custom checkering & you end up with a one of a kind gem.

Now that a true custom......:bthumb:

Hmmmmmmmmm.. I may buy that stock for myself...;)

#18 ·
I love the idea of having George carve your own. I was going to recommend that you go out to Ebay & purchase a beautiful stock that is out there now from a seller by the name of Beever156. I've done business with him & he's a class guy.

View attachment 187707

Re-work the grip area to fit your daughter's hand, (I do that with many of mine). Then send it to George for a tip/cap/butt plate & bedding pillar. Then send it to Ek-Marlin for some custom checkering & you end up with a one of a kind gem.

Now that a true custom......:bthumb:

Hmmmmmmmmm.. I may buy that stock for myself...;)
Horsey- ironic.... before George offered his services, I actually found that same stock. It's not a bad price, with 19 people watching I'm surprised it hasn't sold.

Thanks for the heads up, buddy-

DrGunner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.