Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which rifle

988 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  buckweet 
#1 ·
This is mostly hypothetical -- but COULD happen. If I retired to western Kansas, where I grew up, and could have only one rimfire hunting rifle, which of my two should I keep? 1. Marlin 917VS .17 HMR, shoots half-inch groups off bench at 100 yards, but very heavy to tote around. or 2. Marlin stainless XT .22 Mag, shoots about 5/8 inch groups at 50 yards, not sure about 100 yd groups yet. Game would be jackrabbits, maybe prairie dogs, possible coyote. .17 more accurate, .22 Mag probably better killer. Best choice if I only keep one?

#2 ·
Go with the 17hmr for the accuracy at 100-150 yards. On rabbits and PDs, it's great, coyotes you'll need a well-placed shot but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. :t

#3 ·
I have shot both and the very first 17hmr I shot was one of my life long friend that ask me to sight I his rifle..it was a marlin XT-17 with a heavy barrel...I took it out on my hunting route which is about 2 miles up and down a mountain side...I did not bring a sling with me...I did not plan on taking it hunting but I did and when I got back to my truck...It felt lot it weighted a ton. My brothers had told me to get a 17hmr but I was hard headed and that rifle changed my mind on the 17hmr.

Last year I wanted to get a rifle that I could take out gopher shooting up in Cedarville half the time when I am there the weather turns crappy and rains etc so I wanted a rifle that would stand up to rain etc Buds had the Marlin XT22MSVR in 22mag and I bought it and it too shots like nothing else.

Bottom line is weight plays a big roll in a hunting rifle...now a target rifle that does not matter. For me its a toss up...I love the 22mag because it offers more bullet weights and that in turn allows you to hunt more things than the 17hmr...but shot placement is everything and the 17hmr is a laser.

Gophers, squirrels and rabbits the 17hmr rules...any thing bigger than that the 22mag is the one to choose. It all depends on what you plan on doing with this rifle. For me I would have to keep both.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Signalman :mad::):D

#6 ·
Muzzle Loader

After carrying around a 14# muzzle loader, my heavy barreled 17vs 17hmr
seems featherweight. I just frequently switch carrying arms with the ML. My
CZ455 22mag weighs pretty close to the 17vs because of a larger scope.

Were it me, I'd keep both, but that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.