Buttermilk Fried Squirrel with Southern Gravy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:01 AM
RugerRifle_1022
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Buttermilk Fried Squirrel with Southern Gravy

quarter them up and placed them in a bowl of salted water in the refrigerator.rinse the squirrels well and replaced the saltwater with enough buttermilk to cover the squirrel pieces. Back into the fridge for another hour or so and they ARE ready to fry for dinner.rinsed the squirrels well and replaced the saltwater with enough buttermilk to cover the squirrel pieces. Back into the fridge for another hour or so and they ARE ready to fry for dinner.3-4 skinned and quartered young squirrels.
Buttermilk for marinating
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons black pepper
1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning
2 cups milk (for the gravy)
Start by placing the flour, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning into a large zip style or paper bag and giving it a good shake to mix thoroughly. Remove the squirrel pieces from the buttermilk, shaking off any excess, and drop them into the flour bag. Shake thoroughly and then place the coated pieces onto a cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the crust to set. Reserve three tablespoons of the seasoned flour for gravy making later. Next, head on over to the fridge and take out your jar of saved bacon grease. What? You donít keep a jar of saved bacon grease in the fridge? You should.Nothing fries food or makes gravy like the magical elixir that remains after frying bacon.

You can always fry a bit of bacon and use the remaining grease to fry your squirrel, or even use one of the lesser frying mediums, like vegetable oil or shortening, and get almost as fine a result.

Heat about half an inch of the oil of choice in a heavy frying pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Squirrels being squirrels, even the young ones do enough running and jumping to be a bit on the tough side, and so a long, slow fry with the lid on helps to soften them up.

Fry the squirrel in batches, lid tightly on, for 10 to 12 minutes per side. When the pieces are browned and cooked through, remove them to a warm plate and cover with foil while you make your gravy.

Start by pouring off all but three tablespoons of oil from the pan. Make sure all of the brown stuck-on bits left from the frying remain. Add in the three tablespoons of reserved seasoned flour and stir well until the flour is lightly browned. Slowly add the milk and continue to stir. Those bits of goodness that were stuck to the pan should loosen and incorporate into the gravy. Stir until the gravy has thickened to the point that it will coat the back of a spoon and tracks remain when you push the spoon across the skillet.

My favorite way to serve fried squirrel and gravy is alongside homemade biscuits and scrambled eggs with a few slices of late-summer tomatoes. Fancy? Nope. It's about as simple as a meal can be. Makes your tongue slap your brains out.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:59 AM
lasttombstone
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the recipe. We usually just fry them up but this is going to be a great one to try and I know it will be great. I can't get over the number of folks that won't take the time to dress and cook the squirrels they shoot. Absolutely sinful.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:18 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Rifle....yumyum! I like to use canned evaporated milk in place of the milk in the gravy. Watch out as it will get thick in a heartbeat and scorch, just keep pouring it to it. BUT. that buttermilk recipe is as good as it gets. By the way would you believe that buttermilk is hard to find anymore around here? Sad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 06:07 AM
JMKnowles
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds great, and makes me hungry reading this recipe !!

Thanks for sharing
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 AM
RugerRifle_1022
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
Thanks for the recipe. We usually just fry them up but this is going to be a great one to try and I know it will be great. I can't get over the number of folks that won't take the time to dress and cook the squirrels they shoot. Absolutely sinful.
Yes, I grew up with wild game as a supplement in our diet we were poor and had no so-called white privilege we all were poor both White & Black and we all ate the same foods.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:07 AM
RugerRifle_1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Ruger Rifle....yumyum! I like to use canned evaporated milk in place of the milk in the gravy. Watch out as it will get thick in a heartbeat and scorch, just keep pouring it to it. BUT. that buttermilk recipe is as good as it gets. By the way would you believe that buttermilk is hard to find anymore around here? Sad...
Watch out it will make your tongue slap out you're brains out! Evaporated milk works well with a tablespoon of sour cream mixed into it tastes like buttermilk.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:08 AM
RugerRifle_1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKnowles View Post
Sounds great, and makes me hungry reading this recipe !!

Thanks for sharing
I hope you enjoy it, it's good.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:20 AM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRifle_1022 View Post
Watch out it will make your tongue slap out you're brains out! Evaporated milk works well with a tablespoon of sour cream mixed into it tastes like buttermilk.
Thanks for that tid bit. I WILL give it a try!
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM
BigTimePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yum!

Ugh... my mouth is drooling. Haven't had good squirrel in a long time. Sounds like I'm overdue for a trip back home.