Kingston M1 Garand - Page 14 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:49 AM
hytekrednek

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)

read up on fitting/adjusting the rear sights on m14 rifles. M1 garands too with their later style sight.
The top spring cover can be ground or stoned down, bent, or adjusted slightly for best function. Also read up on setting up the M14 rear sight. The nut on the windage knob "right side" can be loosened or tightened for a stiffer or looser rear sight adjustment. You can also learn how to zero the ele. drum once you do have it sighted in. This info is easy to find, easy to do, and is very helpful in usability and reliability of m14 type sights.

They should have came from factory adjusted close to right, but they almost never do. Even $3000 M14's and M1A's need to be adjusted and zeroed once you get them. Once you learn to adjust, zero, and use this type rear sight, you will understand why many say it is the best iron sights ever on an issued rifle. I agree too with that.

Bonus... You can also get different apertures/racks for the rear sight to fit your needs. Hooded/non-hooded, .0520'', .062'', and even custom sized apertures if you wish. Shootingsight.com has a nice selection and Art will help you figure out which one suits your eyes and need perfectly. He has some kick-butt M1/M14 speed hammers and adjustable triggers available too. They are my favorite and best feeling trigger of all my rifles, except the 10/22 with the Kidd 2 stage. It is a tad better.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:43 AM
bczrx
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekrednek View Post
read up on fitting/adjusting the rear sights on m14 rifles. M1 garands too with their later style sight.
The top spring cover can be ground or stoned down, bent, or adjusted slightly for best function. ...

I forgot about that part!

After beveling/grinding that forward edge, to allow the sight to go lower without popping the front of the top spring cover up, I then had to grind a new relief 'window' to allow the rear of that aperture sight to go low enough to line up.

Forgot that step.