Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 PM
wjhend
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mossy 44us ammo?

Last Wednesday I got out my Mdl 44us and gave it a good cleaning. Thursday I took it to the range along with 8 different brands/types of ammo hoping that at least one of them would be accurate. It didn't seem to care for anything I brought. The RWS Target Rifle did the best I guess but still would get no tighter than 1.5 to 2" at 50yds. Can anyone recommend ammo that you've found does well in your mdl44? IIRC about 4-5 years ago the last time I had it out it was shooting regular old CCI std velocity inside an inch at 50yds consistently. THANKS for any suggestions.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
About 10 years ago I was shooting some good groups @50yds. with several 44US models.
I was scoped,bagged in on solid bench,using Fed 711B ammo.

That said,I don't know your details?

BTW,after cleaning bore,I always shoot a few fouling rounds!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:12 PM
wjhend

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did shoot some Eley std through it before I began testing. My mdl44 is scoped and I was shooting off of bags on a sturdy 2x6 "state owned" type bench.I had good results with the Remington 521T using CCi std vel that I took. The Mossy didn't like the CCi.Just curious did all the mdl 44us's you took like the Fed Gold Medal Target ammo? I had some Federal Auto-match that I tried in it and it was pretty close to the more expensive RWS Target Rifle I just couldn't get good groups. This 44us has shot pretty well in the past but Thursday I just couldn't get them to group. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 10:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhend View Post
I did shoot some Eley std through it before I began testing. My mdl44 is scoped and I was shooting off of bags on a sturdy 2x6 "state owned" type bench.I had good results with the Remington 521T using CCi std vel that I took. The Mossy didn't like the CCi.Just curious did all the mdl 44us's you took like the Fed Gold Medal Target ammo? I had some Federal Auto-match that I tried in it and it was pretty close to the more expensive RWS Target Rifle I just couldn't get good groups. This 44us has shot pretty well in the past but Thursday I just couldn't get them to group. THANKS

I'm almost 70 now! I don't shoot very well lately. I still like to plink however!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:35 PM
wjhend

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm just 60. I have days I feel OK and the shots just seem to come together better than other days that I can't shoot to save my life. I don't have but 5 Mossbergs but it still took me 3 hours in the hot shop today to get them cleaned up. I like plinkin too.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I'd go back and try the CCI-SV ammo again. You should get groups in and around the one inch size I would think. CCI-SV is pretty consistent............!

Scope & mount tight? Stock screws not overly tight? You know the rest!

Last edited by rosscoe; 08-02-2020 at 09:21 AM.