Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
I got to researching my issues and one of the suggestions was to check the top rail screws on the rail that runs between the barrel and the rear of the frame .
Son of a gun , both screws were loose . The front screw was at least two turns loose .
And I read to clean the chamber for the light hits . Said if the shells werenít completely seated , when the firing pin strikes , it would lose energy pushing the shell instead of striking with full force .
I hope this fixes my issues . The pistol groups too good to not straighten out and keep .
Iíll find out one day next week.
I was nearly driven to distraction several years ago with a rifle that simply wouldn't shoot consistently or as accurately as it should - turns out the action screw was so loose I could remove it with my fingers. I should have remembered to always check for a loose screw. Hope it solves your problem!
Old 02-14-2020, 11:05 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Took my 4Ē barreled stainless micro bull Buckmark to the range today .
The Halo ring worked great , but the Buckmark didnít .
It shot CCI MiniMags without any issue , but had light hits and FTF with Federal 36g. Bulk ammo .,
And it has a lock back issue with rounds in the magazine. Sometimes Iíd have 3-5 lock backs per Magazine . Iím guessing itís a weak slide lock spring. I was wondering if I could remove the spring and stretch it open a little and add enough to pressure to keep the slide lock down until the last round .
When it did shoot , i was able to shoot the center out of my target at 10 yards resting on my elbows .
Having discovered that your top rail screws were loose while you were shooting, it's worth also confirming that the barrel screw hasn't come loose. There's a lot more stress on the barrel screw when those top rail screws come loose.

As for the slide locking back before the mag is empty... let's start with the obvious question... are you putting your thumb underneath the slide lock lever and accidentally pushing it while shooting? Shoot a couple mags worth while ensuring your thumb isn't hitting the slide stop lever, and see if it still happens.

You can test the slide stop spring pretty easily. Lock the slide back, turn the gun sideways so the left side is facing up (so gravity cannot help the spring), pull the slide back... does the slide stop lever get pushed "down" (in this orientation, really to the left), by the spring? If yes, the spring is doing it's job. If not, then the spring is not doing it's job.

If the spring is not doing it's job, lay the gun on a table on it's right side, and remove the left grip, trying to be careful not to bump the slide stop lever while pulling the grip off the frame. The tip of the spring should be sticking up inside the hole in the slide stop lever. If it is not, that's the problem; put the tip of the spring into the hole and re-install the grip without disturbing it.

Here's a picture of the spring leg in the hole

If the spring tip is in the hole, lift the slide stop lever off the frame and look at the back of the lever and look at the frame underneath the lever. Make sure there are no burrs in the lever or frame that are preventing smooth, easy movement of the lever. Make sure the frame underneath the spring is smooth. It will always be worn where that spring leg moves, and it's usually still pretty smooth, but I've seen a couple where the frame has been pretty rough where the spring moves. If yours is chewed up, you need to smooth it out (a tiny piece of high-grit sandpaper wrapped around a q-tip works for this; don't go crazy on it (like with a dremel tool), the frame is just aluminum), so that the spring can slide along it's arc freely and smoothly.

Also check to see if the lower spring leg is bent up or down. The top leg should have a slight bend forcing the tip into the frame (hard to see until you remove it), and the tip of the lower leg should be bent up at 90 deg to fit into that hole. But the lower leg should otherwise be straight. Here'a photo the spring by itself. Here's a photo of the legs as installed. You can see that the top leg is held up off the frame a little, due to its bends, but the lower leg is straight.

If you need to replace the spring, it's name is "Stop Open Latch Spring", and part # is B5150497.

Also look at the back of the grip to see if the lever or spring is rubbing there; they shouldn't be.

Dave
Old 02-14-2020, 01:10 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
Having discovered that your top rail screws were loose while you were shooting, it's worth also confirming that the barrel screw hasn't come loose. There's a lot more stress on the barrel screw when those top rail screws come loose.

As for the slide locking back before the mag is empty... let's start with the obvious question... are you putting your thumb underneath the slide lock lever and accidentally pushing it while shooting? Shoot a couple mags worth while ensuring your thumb isn't hitting the slide stop lever, and see if it still happens.

You can test the slide stop spring pretty easily. Lock the slide back, turn the gun sideways so the left side is facing up (so gravity cannot help the spring), pull the slide back... does the slide stop lever get pushed "down" (in this orientation, really to the left), by the spring? If yes, the spring is doing it's job. If not, then the spring is not doing it's job.

If the spring is not doing it's job, lay the gun on a table on it's right side, and remove the left grip, trying to be careful not to bump the slide stop lever while pulling the grip off the frame. The tip of the spring should be sticking up inside the hole in the slide stop lever. If it is not, that's the problem; put the tip of the spring into the hole and re-install the grip without disturbing it.

Here's a picture of the spring leg in the hole

If the spring tip is in the hole, lift the slide stop lever off the frame and look at the back of the lever and look at the frame underneath the lever. Make sure there are no burrs in the lever or frame that are preventing smooth, easy movement of the lever. Make sure the frame underneath the spring is smooth. It will always be worn where that spring leg moves, and it's usually still pretty smooth, but I've seen a couple where the frame has been pretty rough where the spring moves. If yours is chewed up, you need to smooth it out (a tiny piece of high-grit sandpaper wrapped around a q-tip works for this; don't go crazy on it (like with a dremel tool), the frame is just aluminum), so that the spring can slide along it's arc freely and smoothly.

Also check to see if the lower spring leg is bent up or down. The top leg should have a slight bend forcing the tip into the frame (hard to see until you remove it), and the tip of the lower leg should be bent up at 90 deg to fit into that hole. But the lower leg should otherwise be straight. Here'a photo the spring by itself. Here's a photo of the legs as installed. You can see that the top leg is held up off the frame a little, due to its bends, but the lower leg is straight.

If you need to replace the spring, it's name is "Stop Open Latch Spring", and part # is B5150497.

Also look at the back of the grip to see if the lever or spring is rubbing there; they shouldn't be.

Dave
Thanks Dave for all of the info .
Iíll check the barrel screw .
I own two 4Ē Buckmark Micros , one is a Field Target . Only the stainless bull barreled one has/had the issue . I checked the FT and the rail screws are tight .
Iíve checked the spring position a couple of times and made sure it was correctly positioned.
Slide doesnít lock back when working it without a magazine inserted as it should .
Iím pretty sure the loose screws were the problem. At least I hope .
Thanks !
Old 02-14-2020, 02:22 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Slide doesn’t lock back when working it without a magazine inserted as it should
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the slide shouldn't/won't "automatically" lock back unless you have an empty magazine inserted. With no mag inserted, if you want to lock the slide back, you have to manually push the slide stop lever up.

The slide locks back automatically on an empty magazine because the magazine thumb button hits the bottom of the slide stop lever and pushes it up, and the magazine spring easily over-powers the little "stop open latch spring" trying to push the lever down all the time. That's why/how it only holds the slide back after you fire the last round; if there are still rounds in the magazine, those rounds are holding the magazine button down away from the slide stop lever, so the slide doesn't get held back. This is most easily seen if you remove the left grip (but leave everything else in place) and then insert an empty magazine.

So, with no magazine inserted, there is nothing to push the slide stop lever up (except you), so the slide won't be held back.

During normal usage, when you insert a loaded magazine (and thus the mag button is not pushing the slide stop lever up), and then you "slingshot" the slide to rack it, the little stop open latch spring is what pushes the slide stop lever down and out of the way.

Dave

P.S. If you're saying that the slide won't reliably lock back even with you pushing the lever up manually, then yes, you're probably correct that tightening the top rail screws should fix that. In that case, the problem may be that, because the rail screws are so loose, the slide is able to rise up and ride over the slide stop lever, even when the slide stop lever is as high as it will go. Tightening the rail screws will fix that, because the top rail is what prevents the slide from lifting up like that.

Last edited by rdas; 02-14-2020 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added the P.S.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:39 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Dave ,
I was just trying to say the slide lock spring is working properly . Demonstrating that by work I gotta the slide without a magazine
With an empty mag it locks back as it should .
Iíll find out next week with my next range trip .
My 72 year old brother loved the pistol , he was able to roll a soup can at 20 yards with it . BTW , Iíve installed a fiber optic front sight on it .
Make open sights doable for us old guys .