Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:43 PM
crm617
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (1)
Kimber 82G cocking problem

I'm having cocking problems. I've been chasing this for some time now. At first I thought is was a safety problem. The safety coming on by accident, but not the case. I've thoroughly cleaned the bolt, installed a new spring since I had it apart and a new cocking screw. The screw had seen better days.

Before doing all this when I would cock the bolt and try to fire it would not fire. Not all the time. It was as though the safety was on as I said. I'd re-cock and it would fire. So I thought maybe it was the rust problem etc. in the bolt which is a common problem from reading here. After doing all the work same problem now. So that kind of leaves out the bolt. It does not happen right away strangely enough. I'd say the first 10 rounds or so are fine. It seems to act up after that. I thought maybe a heat problem, some growth in the bolt, but a 22lr, bolt, I don't see that getting even warm. Once it starts to happen it is more often then not it doesn't cock. I've learned if I do a eject and cycle the both twice it will always fire. That I can't explain.

So I'm now looking for anyone that has an idea. Send me down another road. Any thoughts or questions please let me know.

Edited 1/31/20: So with the first response I wanted to clarify the issue. It is not a miss fire problem, rather a no trigger release problem. That of course now has me thinking. It is not the bolt but some type of trigger problem. When I have cocked it and it has not fired the trigger hasn't changed. It still is in the unfired mode or what seemly felt like a safety on mode. With just a little research today it might be the trigger overtravel is to tight. Suggesting why the trigger on some occasions will not cock. So I'm going to go down that path now. I'm still looking for any thoughts.

Also, what torque are you using on the action screws?

Last edited by crm617; 01-31-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:51 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check your firing pin protrusion.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the trigger cocking and then falls when the bolt is closed??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 09:42 PM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
I had a problem with my 82G where the bolt would become uncocked when closing the bolt. I don't know if this similar to your problem, my bolt, cocking stud, etc is like new, very few rounds thru since I purchased from CMP.
Check here.
Hope this helps some!
Chris
Old 02-06-2020, 09:58 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Sounds like yo need more sear engagement. I don't remember whether that's adjustable on the 82G or not, but either way a competent gunsmith should be able to correct it pretty easily. The payback is that when you increase sear engagement you also increase creep, but that's infinitely preferable to the gun uncocking itself when you close the bolt.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:59 PM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Old 02-06-2020, 11:06 PM
arnie19

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More spring pressure on the trigger might also help .
Old 02-07-2020, 07:28 AM
crm617

TPC Rating: 
75% (1)
Thanks for the input. As I stated in the edit my thoughts were in the trigger now. Having read the manual it even suggests the trigger may not cock without sufficient sear engagement. Your responses seem to conclude the same thing. I'll now go down that road. I like the idea of watching the trigger during cocking and see if it cocks and falls off. I'm still puzzled by the fact with two full cocking cycles it always cocks.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have seen triggers not cock intermittently being caused by too little overtravel. Too little would cause the sear to drag on the trigger and not go to the right position. You might also check the sear spring. The M82 sporters have a tiny coil spring above the sear and I think the G trigger is the same.