Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:40 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Took my 40-150 mm lens out today on a winter's hike. Put my new 2x teleconverter on it...wanted to see if it was sharp. That part kicks the lens up to an equivalent 600mm fframe. Hand held shots, except the moon. Birds will tell the tale on sharpness....some of the hardest critters to get sharp. 1917

Beech leaves in the winter sunlight.

Mahonia blooms. Wish deer would eat these and leave my other plants alone.

Tonight's moon.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:50 AM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot the Tamron equivalent of the 150-600 at Yellowstone a few years back when my in-laws offered to let me use it. I have still yet to pick one up though even though it is on my wanted list.

Speaking of older cameras, I still have my original 35mm rangefinder, an Argus C3.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:35 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Awesome pictures, 1917...

I've yet to take any pictures with the (MFT) 100-300. Mrs. Cow has taken it for herself, and won't give it back.
She likes it WAY better than her Sony.

Wimmen...!!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 01-08-2020, 09:49 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks COW 54. I have friends who are into birding photography. I'm not although I'll take a shot here and there. Their gear is too heavy, expensive and they work too hard at it for my tastes. But they get some truly professional shots. All are using $5K Cannon or Nikon bodies with those huge 600mm f4 lenses. I would find a lens like that a bit too hard to use unless it was constantly on a tripod and I had a lot of patience. Kinda like trying to hunt with a 24x scope. Since I like hiking and photography is just a hobby....I'm trying to keep the IQ up and the weight down. I also don't like printed photos for art. I like oil, acrylic or watercolor. Photos just don't do it for me but I have certainly seen some beautiful examples. I take photos of about everything I run into that is interesting to me.

Got my Son the new Oly OM-D MK 10 or something like that. Can't keep their model numbering system straight. The new one now has a built in flash, but still has a hot shoe, runs 4K video and they have dropped a lot of items from the menu that only professionals use anyway. They did make a shortcut to some of the features that require you to otherwise dig deep into the menu...like live composite. And, he can use my lenses on it. Will see if he develops any interest. 1917
Old 01-31-2020, 09:40 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Following this post

I have gotten back into more elaborate photography recently since my benchrest shooting days are about to diminish for a while (health issues), but I can still drive to a lot of places to shoot my camera still.

Having to remember a lot of things still but getting there with some DSL camera's vs the older styled film cameras I was used to and having all the computer stuff is a great advantage to enhance photo's with I have found

I have been purchasing some much older yet still very good IMO stuff from shopgoodwill.com to add to my new collection of lense's and bodys.Have stuck pretty much with Canons since that is what I shot yrs ago and p/u some nice clean 20D's and a D60 for very reasonable prices there(less than $50 each for 3) and some very good tripods that while heavier than the new stuff very stable to shoot with and a bargain in my opinion vs purchasing the newer/lighter stuff manufactured today

I p/u this beast a Soligor 800mm lense the other week for the paltry sum of $70.It's huge and in the pic is the $39 D20 and a nice StarD model tripod I also got for a song of $4.95 plus shipping.You can get a lot of good deals there,but you must be wary that there are no guarantees on any purchases and they are final.I tend to look for the lense's that look well cared for(front and rear caps,cases,no blemishs) and so far have been either really lucky or maybe just blessed as everyone I have purchased so far have been free of fungus and in very good condition.Older yes but very good glass and they work well on these somewhat newer digitals with the correct adapters.Heres a link to the goodwill site,If interested click and go to what ever you are looking for,lenses and accessories or digital cameras will get you in the right areas.Lots of folks dropping this stuff off at goodwill sights rarely know what they have as a family member may have passed or they just feel its outdated,our bonus as photographers I think.Here's a picture of the monster, a shot thru my window w/another camera and a shot thru the beast lens at no where near what I believe it is capable off and a shot of a dove from earlier this week taken from about 250 yards with the same setup

https://www.shopgoodwill.com, go to cameras and camcorders in the categories section.Theres a nice Star D tripod that I won't need coming up today I would recommend purchasing,solid mount,appears to be in good shape,but as always you take the risk and they do not make them anymore,..https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/85238342
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (208.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 021.JPG (180.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 027.JPG (216.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 017.JPG (98.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (304.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 AM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting...so is it f8 or f11 ?
Old 01-31-2020, 10:35 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thats the best part,It's not a fixed aperture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032.jpg (137.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 034.JPG (191.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:24 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Granted it is not fixed aperture. Looks like the max aperture may be f/8.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
800mm divided by 50,yup your right
Old 02-01-2020, 09:43 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
So I wanted to ask you gurus if you know of anything other than using my other eye that I also have vision problems with,Is there any type of adapter you can use to help in focusing since these older lense are all focused by hand rather than a program in the camera or lense.

Guess what I'm saying is I have Glaucoma and an astigmatism in my right eye and wear eyeglasses,but try to use my left eye (I'm right eye dominant) to achieve better focus.

For now I simply move my focus in and out by fractions to achieve what I hope will get me a highly defined picture ,download them all and take the best of the lot.

I have seen an eyepiece cover that will fit my cameras that say + or -,.5,.1.0,1.5 that would seem maybe to help a bit.Any ideas or info would be helpful as my intentions are to spend more time outdoors traveling my state this yr to places I can drive to relatively easy as I have recently had surgery and looks like more is on the way.So my benchrest shooting days are going away for a while and thought this will be an interesting hobby to get back into in the meantime while I heal hopefuly.

Walking and sitting for lengthy period of time are probably out but I did purchase an adapter to mount my camera to my car window and can probably make relatively short ventures in N.W.Ga.and my local areas to take pics and just in general photos of the many scenarios locally(waterfalls,dam's lakes,widlife areas,etc)

Thanks,Tommy
Old 02-01-2020, 11:31 AM
rjinaz86323
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
you might look for a nice used newer model with large 3in lcd screen and use the 'live view' for focusing. this will allow you to use both eyes (or either one) to aid in the fine focus.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:31 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I thought about that.I don't know if it would help what I see thru the screen tho.I have been looking at some programs that I could use a phone with attached to the camera,but that still seems to require a camera or lense that works utilizing a motor of sorts.These are not those types of lense so still looking around at things,maybe my optometrist knows something I can look into

I'm getting close but sometimes actions require a quicker shot to be taken,still shots or waterfall shots shouldn't be a problem as the cameras allow multiple shots in succession and I am using a remote to aid in keeping the shots off a tripod stabilized.

I'll attempt some moon shots soon hopefully if it would just appear in the future with the big zoomer as I call it,or maybe even a few planets as I have attached a 2x adapter to it.

Dunno,maybe just keep speramentin I may keep and eye out for a decent price on a possibly newer camere.The older 20D's had a good reputation and have a lot you can do with them so that was an easy decision

Thanks for the suggestion tho. Hope somebody here got that tripod,it was a great deal for the $10 it got sold for seems

Tommy
Old 02-01-2020, 02:46 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hah,I found I have an diopter adjustment on the camera (helps to read manual) that should take care of things

Thanks Tommy