Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:24 PM
mr alexander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can't Open Victor's Slide?

My Victor has a High Standard cantilever style scope mount on it, atop of which is a 1" Ultradot Sight. Had that very rare misfire with CCI Standard Velocity Ammo.

Gripping the frame in my left (weak) hand, I grabbed the serrations on the back of the slide and tried pulling it rearward with my right hand. With the mount and sight

present, there's really a limited amount of space available here to work in. I just couldn't get it open, despite making several attempts at it. Eventually was able to

open the slide by doing something different. Maybe the following will work for you too:

1.) Grip the frame in a normal fashion with your right hand as if you were going to shoot. Finger off of the trigger.

2.) Place the pistol so that the bottom/front of it's trigger guard is resting on the web of your left hand and is in between the thumb and forefinger of it.

3.) Reach up and place your left thumb onto the forward serrations on the left side of the slide.

4.) Reach up and place your left forefinger onto the forward serrations on the right side of the slide.

5.) Pinch these two digits together; this will give you a secure hold on the slide.

6.) Now PUSH the slide rearward until you can hear and feel the hammer being put into the fully cocked position.

7.) Slowly ease the slide forward until it is closed.

8.) Switch hands. With the pistol's frame now being held in your left hand , it will be real easy to pull the slide fully rearward with your right one.

For me, it was easier to PUSH the slide open with my left hand as opposed to trying to PULL it back with my right. Some may resort to having a "slide racker"

installed on their pistol. If this method works for you, the pistol can be kept in it's original factory configuration.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 AM
jjs102

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor slide

Interesting to note that someone else has had a problem with the Victor slide. I thought I either was too weak or had a gun with a problem. The method described is about the same system I came up with so I feel better about it now. Interesting gun and extremely accurate.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:16 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Trophy is worse because of the sight bridge right over the slide's rear grip points.

I had not shot my Victor in some time but did last week. I almost thought I was not going to be able to get the slide open the first time (I store all guns with the hammer down). I tried this method and it kind of worked but it still was not easy.

LDBennett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM
octalman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor, Trophy and Citation are all difficult. Cocking the hammer is a bear. Numerous bloodied fingers over the years. Suggested method and gloves help.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:37 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suppose you could just leave it cocked all the time.

LDBennett
Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is the issue due to a sight rail which extends to the rear over the rare slide?

I ask because I have a rail on my Victor which extends from front of barrel only to the breach, leaving the slide uncovered. Burris FF3 on it.

Gun Seems relatively easy to cock? I could see the issue if the rail extended over the slide. I keep a chamber safety flag in all the pistols when not in use, so maybe makes it easier to cock it initially? Or am I misunderstanding the issue?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:04 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Getting the slide starting to move to the rear is hard when there is a rail above the slide on a Victor or nearly impossible with the Trophy sight bridge. The natural thing to want to do is grab the back of the slide and it is difficult or impossible to do on both guns. I struggle with it for every range session but fortunately I only have to do it once per session. If there was only a small ear on the slide to grab it would be easier. But such is not the case and I am not going to ruin the value of either of my Hi Std's by modifying the guns in any way that is not reversible.

LDBennett
Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM
rick w.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As I get older(wiser; not so sure about that here) that I leave my HS pistols cocked in storage, but there is either a snapcap or an empty case present. Most factory firing pins(unaltered) may ding the chamber, hence the presence. Pulling against the recoil spring alone is much easier than getting past the recoil spring and hammer spring(stout). If you ever replace the hammer spring, that spring is pretty strong.

I shoot a victor scoped in either 22 short or 22lr, I just grab the rear of the slide on the serrations, and use a controlled pull. Right handed here, so right hand on the grip and left on the slide.

With HS with the sight bridge without optics, the same technique is used; other than my left hand is on top of the slide in front of the bridge. Note that a controlled pull is used, not a jerk. IF you use the jerk(why I cannot fathom) the odds of raking across the sight is pretty good. A slow controlled pull is the ticket for me.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM
jglenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sliedq

Wife was having a terrible time trying to open her model 107 with an LSP barrel and ultradot... I simply went out and got another slide then drilled and tapped for a 3/4" 6 x 40 shoulder screw I had in my sight screw box.. the slide "puller" is position on the front right of the slide. works like a charm.. I didn't want to screw up the original slide..
Old 10-18-2016, 11:44 AM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's how I do it.
Although I'm right handed, I hold the gun in my left hand.

Turn the body 90 degrees so the gun points down range.

Right hand on top of gun and thumb and forefinger grips the forward serrated portion of the slide.

Now push with both hands.

I find it much easier to push the slide/gun with both hands than to try to pull the slide open.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:15 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all of you for the above advice. It didn't work for me, but the concept of pushing and pulling seemed like a good start.

After trying lots of other things, here's what works for me:

Sit down, facing to my right, so the gun (in my right hand) is facing downrange.

Lower gun into my lap, so the "butt" of the gun is held in place by my right leg.

Simultaneously:
....pull to my right with my right hand, gripping the rear serrations of the slide,
....while pushing with my left hand, gripping the front serrations of the slide.

It still takes a bit of force, but it works every time.

--------------------

Suggestion: Even if you KNOW the gun is unloaded, treat the gun as if there was a live round in the gun, so that if it did fire, the round would go downrange.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:32 PM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
Thanks to all of you for the above advice. It didn't work for me, but the concept of pushing and pulling seemed like a good start.

After trying lots of other things, here's what works for me:

Sit down, facing to my right, so the gun (in my right hand) is facing downrange.

Lower gun into my lap, so the "butt" of the gun is held in place by my right leg.

Simultaneously:
....pull to my right with my right hand, gripping the rear serrations of the slide,
....while pushing with my left hand, gripping the front serrations of the slide.

It still takes a bit of force, but it works every time.

--------------------

Suggestion: Even if you KNOW the gun is unloaded, treat the gun as if there was a live round in the gun, so that if it did fire, the round would go downrange.
That's pretty much my method but I add a terrycloth facecloth. I cover the front and rear serrations , leaving some slack between them. That way, when the slide begins to move, the terrycloth gets into the space between the slide & the barrel and holds it open if I relax my grip, making it easy to get a better grip to complete the opening/cocking. I'm thinking of modifying a pair of slip joint pliers and adding a leather cushion so I can grip the rear of the slide without damage.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:40 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarey51 View Post
That's pretty much my method but I add a terrycloth facecloth. I cover the front and rear serrations , leaving some slack between them. That way, when the slide begins to move, the terrycloth gets into the space between the slide & the barrel and holds it open if I relax my grip, making it easy to get a better grip to complete the opening/cocking......
Brilliant idea!!! Earlier today I was still trying different ways, and something slipped, and the only thing holding the slide open was a small piece of my skin. Ouch. Of course then it wanted to color things red. Now I'm much more careful as to where my fingers go.

The more I do this, the easier it gets. I could probably put my steel sights back on, but I figure I'll try it first with an extra red dot sight I've got. No hurry.

My brand new High Standard will arrive on Saturday or Monday. I'll have a chance to test out the "cocking lever" Alan provides.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Said to say but that’s one reason why model 41 and ruger became more popular. But I still wouldn’t get rid of my high standards
Old 01-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
Brilliant idea!!! Earlier today I was still trying different ways, and something slipped, and the only thing holding the slide open was a small piece of my skin. Ouch. Of course then it wanted to color things red. Now I'm much more careful as to where my fingers go.

The more I do this, the easier it gets. I could probably put my steel sights back on, but I figure I'll try it first with an extra red dot sight I've got. No hurry.

My brand new High Standard will arrive on Saturday or Monday. I'll have a chance to test out the "cocking lever" Alan provides.
Let me add that I polished the edge of the hammer where it contacts the cocking bar of the slide and I polished the edge of the cocking bar as well. substantially reduced the amount of effort required to cock the hammer. I'm also going to try a spot of Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease the next time at the range. It might work, it might make a mess...I'll see.