Can't Open Victor's Slide? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:23 PM
coltlog

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Posts: 
160
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Charging Handles



Log in to see fewer ads
Tandemkross and Striplin have both come up with some innovative charging handles for Browning Buckmarks that are also DNA collectors.

TK: https://www.tandemkross.com/halo-Cha...ark_p_200.html

Striplin: https://striplincustom.com/collectio...acker-serrated

The Tandemkross handle looks like it could be easily modified by the manufacturer for use on Victors, Tournaments and Sharpshooters. For guns with the bridge sight, perhaps the Striplin 'ears' could be milled into the top of the slide face rather than at the rear. This forward positioning could be very practical as well as actually looking prettyt cool. It would certainly garner plenty of 'looks' on the firing line. Maybe Alan would be willing to chop up one of his shooters to try this out.

Last edited by coltlog; 01-30-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:10 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

Join Date: 
Nov 2010
Location: 
Arizona/Western US
Posts: 
968
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
My solution was to get rid of the darned thing. Never been happier. Have a beautiful Browning Medalist that cocks easily and is a pleasure to shoot. Never understood why a gun was developed that was such a PITA to cock and became so popular.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:22 PM
MikeMyers

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Posts: 
151
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess you need to consider what people want out of a gun. It might be "a pleasure to shoot", or it might be "to give the shooter the best chance of winning a competition".

Most people I know could pick up a modern point-and-shoot camera, or a smartphone, and get beautiful photos every time. A professional photographer needs a lot more tools, and adjustments, and menus, that would drive an ordinary photographer nuts.

Some people want snapshots; others want highly detailed photos suitable for billboards, or magazine covers.


I might sound frustrated with my High Standard at times, but I shoot better targets with it than with my S&W Model 41, a Volquartsen that I tried out, or my Nelson Conversion. I didn't expect that, but I'm rather pleased that it makes me into a better shooter than I thought I was. Maybe a Pardini would be even better.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-08-2020, 05:48 PM
Dcarey51's Avatar
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Posts: 
170
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarey51 View Post
Let me add that I polished the edge of the hammer where it contacts the cocking bar of the slide and I polished the edge of the cocking bar as well. substantially reduced the amount of effort required to cock the hammer. I'm also going to try a spot of Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease the next time at the range. It might work, it might make a mess...I'll see.
I tried the Mobil 1 bearing grease (the amount that fits on the end of a toothpick) and my fingers tell me that the cocking force is reduced by about 20%...completely subjective on my part, but worth mentioning. I'm going to try a bit more polishing after the next range day.
I've also sent an email to Tandemcross asking if hus Browning charging handle will fit the High Standard slide...waiting for a reply.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Earplug80911

Join Date: 
Oct 2017
Posts: 
107
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Drill and tap

Not worried about resale.
Locate the space on the right side of the slide where its safe to drill and tap for a Allen head machine screw. 8-32 if my mind is working. Only deep enough for 4 threads and I used red thread locker.
The machine screw head gave me just enough grip to operate the slide with a match dot installed.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-09-2020, 07:10 PM
Dcarey51's Avatar
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Posts: 
170
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the cocking handle from Alan's site but I just don't have the heart to drill the slide on my Victor. I'll look around for another slide to try it out on and leave my original slide untouched. There have been a few on eBay recently.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:19 AM
LoneWolfSS454's Avatar
LoneWolfSS454

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Nevada High Desert
Posts: 
625
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Holy Cocking Difficulties Batman!
I've been shooting an early 50's Supermatic for many decades, flawlessly I might add, and never once gave a second thought about pulling the slide to cock the hammer. It always racked as easy as my other .22 pistols with similar slide designs. Then yesterday happened, where in the refurbished Pro Series 95 .22 pistol (a Stoeger manufactured "Victor/107 Clone") I ordered from OFM/High Standard Firearms USA arrived at my LGS. After unboxing it, looking it over for a while, then inserting a "creative dry firing barrel protector", I pulled the trigger (it was already cocked apparently). Then I tried to pull the slide back... Nope, it seemed frozen or locked solidly in place. I thought I had been sold & sent a piece of junk, and I wasn't happy about it. Eventually I did the push with one hand, pull the slide with the other, and it finally opened. So when I got home I started looking at things closer. Then early this morning I got on RFC and found this thread, and discovered (part of) the real reason I was having so much difficulty cocking the hammer. So in reality I wasn't sold & sent junk. Maybe HS had, and still has good reasons for the unusual hammer geometry that makes these hard as heck to cock, but I'm thinking it's a design flaw of sorts? The Supermatic's aren't hard to cock, none of my other 22's are hard to cock, so WHY do these have to be so freaking difficult? OK, my rant is over, back to normal...
I sure hope this thing shoots OK...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stoeger Pro Series 95.jpg (81.8 KB, 131 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-23-2020, 01:45 PM
MikeMyers

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Posts: 
151
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarey51 View Post
I bought the cocking handle from Alan's site but I just don't have the heart to drill the slide on my Victor. I'll look around for another slide to try it out on and leave my original slide untouched. There have been a few on eBay recently.
I thought the slides were matched to the frames? Anyway, if you're a collector, leave the gun as-is. On the other hand, if you're a shooter, Alan's little lever makes it so much easier to move the slide back, and since Alan "is" High Standard, and it's a "High Standard accessory", why not use it?

Or, better yet, just buy a new X-Series gun, with the cocking lever pre-installed.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:46 PM
LoneWolfSS454's Avatar
LoneWolfSS454

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Nevada High Desert
Posts: 
625
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarey51 View Post
I tried the Mobil 1 bearing grease (the amount that fits on the end of a toothpick) and my fingers tell me that the cocking force is reduced by about 20%...completely subjective on my part, but worth mentioning. I'm going to try a bit more polishing after the next range day.
I've also sent an email to Tandemcross asking if hus Browning charging handle will fit the High Standard slide...waiting for a reply.
I need to test-fire the Pro Series 95 first (to make sure it's OK otherwise) before doing anything to help with the difficult slide issue, but I like the ideas I'm seeing here. I don't have any M-1 grease, but do have some of their synthetic motor oil to try out. Polishing is another step I plan to take. Since my PS-95 is only a HS Clone (with questionable resale value), drilling and tapping to add dog ears or cocking handles of some kind, is not out of the question.

Dcarey51, Please let us know what you find out about the TK Buckmark Halo, when/if you get a reply.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-23-2020, 10:16 PM
Turtle1903 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Posts: 
903
TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have 107 citation and the slide is awkward to rack going through the rear sight I actually prefer my 107 tournament with rear sight in slide a lot easier to rack both shoot good
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 PM
Uturnwilly1

Join Date: 
Aug 2014
Posts: 
92
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfSS454 View Post
Holy Cocking Difficulties Batman!
I've been shooting an early 50's Supermatic for many decades, flawlessly I might add, and never once gave a second thought about pulling the slide to cock the hammer. It always racked as easy as my other .22 pistols with similar slide designs. Then yesterday happened, where in the refurbished Pro Series 95 .22 pistol (a Stoeger manufactured "Victor/107 Clone") I ordered from OFM/High Standard Firearms USA arrived at my LGS. After unboxing it, looking it over for a while, then inserting a "creative dry firing barrel protector", I pulled the trigger (it was already cocked apparently). Then I tried to pull the slide back... Nope, it seemed frozen or locked solidly in place. I thought I had been sold & sent a piece of junk, and I wasn't happy about it. Eventually I did the push with one hand, pull the slide with the other, and it finally opened. So when I got home I started looking at things closer. Then early this morning I got on RFC and found this thread, and discovered (part of) the real reason I was having so much difficulty cocking the hammer. So in reality I wasn't sold & sent junk. Maybe HS had, and still has good reasons for the unusual hammer geometry that makes these hard as heck to cock, but I'm thinking it's a design flaw of sorts? The Supermatic's aren't hard to cock, none of my other 22's are hard to cock, so WHY do these have to be so freaking difficult? OK, my rant is over, back to normal...
I sure hope this thing shoots OK...
I have one just like it and have had no problems with it but is just as hard to open the slide & cock as my High Standard Victor
Willy
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-25-2020, 06:31 PM
LoneWolfSS454's Avatar
LoneWolfSS454

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Nevada High Desert
Posts: 
625
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Willy, I don't expect to have any issues, but I do need to shoot it before modifying anything to not void the 90 day warranty it came with. I just wish the weather would cooperate, 20 to 30 MPH winds lately, which should die down to 5 MPH tomorrow and Thursday.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-25-2020, 06:43 PM
MikeMyers

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Posts: 
151
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While discussing something totally unrelated last night, Alan told me that a fellow had ordered two X-Series guns, one for himself, and one for his father. Sadly, his father passed away, before the gun could be sent to him.

If you, or someone else reading this, wants the latest High Standard X-Series, lifetime warranty and a rail for a dot sight, let him know.

The way I see it, I love cars like a 57 chevy, but if was looking to buy a restored one, which would not "drive" as well as a new one, or a brand new version of the car with the latest internal upgrades, it wouldn't even be a choice. There are lots of guns that I would love to buy a brand new version of, if it was as good as, or better, than the original. That's how I feel about the gun Alan sent me - everything outside and inside is new, with a lifetime warranty.

Probably a not very good idea for a collector, but for a shooter, at what I think is a very low price, I would.... er, did... order one.

Given a choice between a S&W Model 41, brand new, made in the 70's, or a brand new one today from S&W, I would get the old one. If S&W were to offer the same gun, to the same precision, as the Model 41 of the 1970's, I'd probably already own one.

I think it's still $1.200.

Alan installed the slide racker for me. To me, it's worth its weight in 'unobtanium', not to mention my fingers are no longer getting all scarred up!!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-26-2020, 11:15 AM
LoneWolfSS454's Avatar
LoneWolfSS454

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Nevada High Desert
Posts: 
625
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I happen to have a 7.25" SS Buckmark Contour URX, and took it out this morning for some comparisons to my HS Clone. Although it's hard to say for certain, it looks as if the Buckmark Halo will not work on our HS pistols (or my clone), at least not without major modifications. I didn't measure them, but the angles the serrations are cut at (on both pistols) appear about the same. The serrations on the BM are about 3/4" long (front to back) verses the HS/clone being about 1/2" long (although you could shorten the Halo by about a 1/4" in this area). The BM has widely-spaced flat-bottom and flat-sided serrations ("square cut serrations"), where as the HS/clone has angle-cut serrations. The spacing on the BM serrations is also further apart than on the HS/clone. It may be less of an issue, but the slide on the BM is a 1/16" taller than the HS/clone. Last, but not least, the wider "rear serration" on the BM (which is kind of like a pair of "mini dog-ears") is a 1/32" wider than the width of my clone's slide, and the rest of the BM slide (from side to side). Otherwise, both slides are the same roughly 13/16's of an inch wide.
If you were determined to use the BM Halo, I suppose you could shorten it's length and height, and if you're willing to risk squeezing in the sides of your slide, you could try the brute-force approach of tightening the heck out of the Halo's bolt in an attempt to "force" the serrations to conform to those on the HS/clone's. Otherwise a lot of filing and/or machining would be necessary to make it work, as I see things.
Being that the two slides are kind of "similar", and the same basic width, I guess it's possible to get lucky, and the Halo might just work anyway? But, given how much force is required to cock the HS/clone slides, I have serious doubts, even if the Halo did work initially, that it wouldn't last for very long. The questions then become, would you punch yourself in the face when it comes off, and would you break your nose?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM Halo.jpg (240.2 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-26-2020, 04:15 PM
Dcarey51's Avatar
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Posts: 
170
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
I thought the slides were matched to the frames? Anyway, if you're a collector, leave the gun as-is. On the other hand, if you're a shooter, Alan's little lever makes it so much easier to move the slide back, and since Alan "is" High Standard, and it's a "High Standard accessory", why not use it?

Or, better yet, just buy a new X-Series gun, with the cocking lever pre-installed.
Luckily, I have the ability to fit a slide. That's why I won't modify the original!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x