Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:25 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornady Crit Defense Keyholing

I shot part of a box of Hornady Critical Defense .22 Magnum ammo yesterday. I got Keyhole strikes on the target at 50 yards and couldn't even find the paper at 100 yards.
Changing to CCI TMJ I got a quarter size cluster at 50 and a 2" group at 100. So the rifle is OK, but that Hornady is off my shopping list forever. Anyone else experienced this with .22 Magnum Hornady Critical Defense ammo?
Shot for a 20" Henry lever gun - perhaps sonic transition issues? I'll stick with CCI anyway.
Forget the hanging chad theory. These targets were firmly attached to the backing. Now I see why they are always "on-sale".
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181102_141720.jpg (128.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 41B; 11-05-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:53 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Posted the same info on the Henry site. Seems I'm not alone. Several others reported keyhole strikes with Hornady and Henry rifles. The culprit seems to be the twist rate is wrong for 45gr bullets.
Not a problem. CCI TMJ shoots just fine. I haven't tried other brand yet, but have read that most .22 mag ammo comes from only two or three sources - just packaged different.
M
Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM
APS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a 24" Frontier and it shoots great out of it. I use it for cowboy silhouette rams. Wonder if it's just certain rifles or if the extra 4" helps.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
I have a 24" Frontier and it shoots great out of it. I use it for cowboy silhouette rams. Wonder if it's just certain rifles or if the extra 4" helps.
Must be the extra 4" that affects it. My 20" shoot lights out with CCI, but Hornady is a no-go for me.
I saw people shoot it from Winchesters at the OKC Regional and they had no issues (other than the resetabe rams being set very heavy).
M
Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo

It may not be suitable for your purposes, but I'd be interested to know if the Hornady 30 gr VMax shoots better in your guns. It's all I shoot and I'm sure not getting keyholes at any distance.

Pardon the thread resurrection.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
It may not be suitable for your purposes
Exactly.

Ammo called "Critical Defense" or "Gold Dot" is designed to stop an attack at close range (around 7 yards) and to not penetrate a wall and kill your neighbor who's sitting in his living room.

It's NOT designed for punching paper at 50 yards, nor for blowing up prairie dogs at 100 yards.

Buy an ammo that's designed for your desired application.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Exactly.

Ammo called "Critical Defense" or "Gold Dot" is designed to stop an attack at close range (around 7 yards) and to not penetrate a wall and kill your neighbor who's sitting in his living room.

It's NOT designed for punching paper at 50 yards, nor for blowing up prairie dogs at 100 yards.

Buy an ammo that's designed for your desired application.

Ah, an Engineer's reply. Thanks, that's a good one!
In Winchester rifles it shoots just fine. 2" at 100 yards.
In Henry rifles some like it at 100, some don't. Guess they have mechanical engineers not electrical engineers at the rifle factory.
M
Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Hornady Critical Defense to hunt with. It is also some of the most accurate ammo the leaves my 1960s era 24" Mossberg barrel. The heavier weight works to great effect on ground hogs, with most shots taken around 100 yards, plus or minus 10 to 20 yards. The greater drop of this slower round means you have to really understand it's trajectory out of your rifle to get the most out of it - just like any other.

Finding and using what works with your rifle is the path to great satisfaction, grasshopper.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:48 PM
springer1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
I use Hornady Critical Defense to hunt with. It is also some of the most accurate ammo the leaves my 1960s era 24" Mossberg barrel. The heavier weight works to great effect on ground hogs, with most shots taken around 100 yards, plus or minus 10 to 20 yards. The greater drop of this slower round means you have to really understand it's trajectory out of your rifle to get the most out of it - just like any other.

Finding and using what works with your rifle is the path to great satisfaction, grasshopper.
Shoots great from my Marlin as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:18 PM
FyrepowrX

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Hornady 45's..

have 2 rifles sighted with the 45's.... shoots quite well in my Browning T-Bolt, and in a Marlin 882SS....have taken assorted small game, plus a couple of coyotes and one smallish pig with that load...
Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried Federal 50gr ammo too. More keyholes. Got a borescope and looked down the bore.
Long "scratches" running from breach to muzzle - somewhat straight, easy to see with the rifling. Looked something like stretch marks in steel.
Returned the rifle to Henry - they currently have is, but I have not received a verdict on the problem.

Keyholes with Hornady 45gr, Federal 50gr and shoots 2" 100 yard groups with CCI 40gr (but sometime 12" clusters - and I don't know why.)

M
Old 03-15-2019, 08:51 AM
coloradokid

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My ruger 10/22 magnum loves the Hornady round. 2" groups at 100 yards typical.

Last edited by coloradokid; 03-17-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 16" TC/Contender carbine likes Hornady 30gr. v-max, and the Federal 50gr. Does not like the Critical defense very well, and shoots a shotgun pattern with CCI Maxi Mags. It shoots lights out with Remington 33gr. if and when I can find them. Different guns like different ammo.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:42 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
It "should" shoot in any gun with "normal" twist rates in the bbl. My first thought is has anyone pulled a bullet and measured the base of the bullet? I got some Hornady lead bullets last year that should have shot good out of any of my .357 rifles or handguns. It wouldn't shoot out of any of them. After I figured out the problem I called Hornady to report their problem....yes, THEIR problem. The base of all the bullets in the box was .354-.355" and was not filling the bore. They tried to say it wasn't so. I'm a retired engineer and I used mics all my working life. I know how to use and read a gauge. They sent two replacement boxes of bullets that were larger and shot OK. If they're making these bullets I'd be suspect about quality control on actual diameter.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot in Lever Gun competition - several others have had issues with Henry .22 Magnums, the barrels "shoot out" around 1500 rounds. Mine went bad at less than 500 rounds.
A bore scope showed long "scratches from breach to muzzle - looked like stretch marks.
Rifle was returned to Henry in February - Mid March and I'm waiting to her their decision.
M