Flobert Bulleted Breech Caps CB BB (Pictures included) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:57 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flobert Bulleted Breech Caps CB BB (Pictures included)

From time to time incorrect information has surfaced regarding the meanings of the abbreviations BB and CB.

I recently ran across the following pictures that I believe clearly show there was a transitional period somewhere along the line where Bulleted Breech Caps turned into (BB's, Ball Breech Caps) and (CB's, Cone Breech Caps).

The first two pictures are earlier Bulleted Breech Cap versions.

Rundkugel. (Round Bullet).

And the second Spitzkugel. (Pointed Bullet).

Both of these copper cased primer only Fobert rounds are known as "Bulleted Breech Caps" whether round or pointed.

The later pictures show where the terminology CB and BB were in use to describe the Flobert rounds previously known as Rundkugel and Spitzkugel Bulleted Breech Caps the earlier versions not using the words Ball or Cone. Apparently Bulleted Breech Cap preceded Cone Breech Cap and Ball Breech Cap.

If one finds reference to "BB" meaning Bulleted Breech Cap I highly believe this to be totally false. BB, Should mean Ball Breech Cap.

Also if one finds reference to "CB" meaning Conical Ball Cap I again believe this to be totally false. CB, should mean Cone or Conical Breech Cap.

FYI. The Nurnberg location on the older tin containers and the Furth location on the newer containers are both the exact same manufacturing location/facility which is today's present RUAG/RWS location in Germany.

And those Acorn Headstamps = Acorn Brand. I believe they are still being made today with the Acorn Headstamp.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 AM
marlinguy76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are some I traded for. Made in Western Germany. I have only shot a few. The rims are thicker than other 22 rimfire ammo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanx for clarifying this, Great pics too

Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 AM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good post!

≡✪≡
Old 08-20-2018, 06:02 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
marlinguy76, first time ever seeing those by a NY Distributor. The "Acorn Headstamp" means your Ball Breech Caps are "Acorn Brand" and made by the same manufacture as those above. Thanks for posting the photo.

You're welcome gcrank1.

Thank you for the compliment IHMSA80x80.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:16 PM
marlinguy76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess a good equivalent substitute for these would be the Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri. Since they are also a 20gr conical bullet with either no powder or very little. The Colibri are about 390 fps and the Super Colibri are about 590 fps. Also they are in a long rifle case, so they cycle from box and tube magazines.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:34 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just so, imo, too.
This may be the ‘golden age’ of 22rf. We have loadings of about every power/performance level and some fine platforms to use from vintage classics to modern race guns.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinguy76 View Post
I guess a good equivalent substitute for these would be the Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri. Since they are also a 20gr conical bullet with either no powder or very little.
No powder in either one. Super Hummingbird has about twice the amount of primer. And yes they are about the next closest round to the Breech Caps which I believe are still made today although they don't come cheap.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:43 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Just so, imo, too.
This may be the ‘golden age’ of 22rf. We have loadings of about every power/performance level and some fine platforms to use from vintage classics to modern race guns.
I really like that about the good'ole 22 rimfire.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:01 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This looks to be an old RWS Tin made in Nurnberg/Furth

Apparently RWS presented their ammunition to the participants at London's 1862 Worlds Fair/Exposition. Looks as though RWS had won a prize medal at the Exposition.

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/57149

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1862_I...nal_Exhibition
Old 09-03-2018, 03:58 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 Caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinguy76 View Post
Here are some I traded for. Made in Western Germany. I have only shot a few. The rims are thicker than other 22 rimfire ammo.

Kind of curious that those are called 22 Caliber by the New York Distributor? I'm not certain that Germany ever produced a true 22 Caliber Flobert but rather a 6mm version. Could be a reason for the rim thickness difference.

Interestingly Sellier & Bellot markets a true 5.6mm, 22 Caliber Flobert. These have slightly longer cases than the German Flobert's and they are Brass Cased vs Copper and are said to use Propellant in addition to Primer.

https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pro...ion/detail/97/
Quote:
So I decided to open one, and just as I suspected, they aren't primer only, but actually have some gunpowder in the case.
http://www.martialtalk.com/threads/s...lobert.118689/

Title might better be 5.6mm Flobert and not 6mm. (Although is there such a thing as a "True" 5.6mm Flobert?) Any new guns being marketed in 5.6mm Flobert?

You can see from the picture in the article that the S&B uses a slimmer case and appears to have a thinner rim along with its copper plated projectile. S&B does make a 6mm BB Cap Flobert and a 6mm Blank Flobert and a 4mm BB Cap Flobert.