Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:28 PM
bearman49709
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteman72 View Post
It's certainly not hard for me to believe, glennasher's experience mirrors mine. Actually your claim of a one shot dispatch with a pellet rifle seems more unbelievable to me. I have personally put 6 Stingers in a (not trapped) raccoon at close range and coons are generally way beyond the capabilities of the CCI Quiet.

I will not use the Quiet round on game beyond starlings. Just not enough kill power.
Every coon and Porkie I've shot with CCI Quiet has died with one shot.
Your shooting 6 Stingers in coon shows me you have no idea where to shoot them at.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearman49709 View Post
Every coon and Porkie I've shot with CCI Quiet has died with one shot.
Your shooting 6 Stingers in coon shows me you have no idea where to shoot them at.
Well, when they are fighting with a hound dog, it can be tough to place your shots precisely, smarty pants.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:53 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearman49709 View Post
Quote:
Well, when they are fighting with a hound dog, it can be tough to place your shots precisely, smarty pants.
Please don't ask him if he's ever hit any of the dogs Bearman.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Please don't ask him if he's ever hit any of the dogs Bearman.
Yeah, don't ask me. What's that comment supposed to mean?

You guys just keep shooting game with these underpowered rounds. I can't stand to see animals suffer and head shooting animals with CCI Quiets borders on cruelty.

Go ahead, if you haven't head shot an animal with these rounds, go do it. Report back with your results. After a couple of negative experiences, that was enough for me, I can tell when a round has enough kill power.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Go ahead, if you haven't head shot an animal with these rounds, go do it. Report back with your results. After a couple of negative experiences, that was enough for me, I can tell when a round has enough kill power.
I've shoot coons @ 20yds off the bird feeder @ night With both Quiets rn and Segmented right between the running lights and its pop, whap, plop, and DRT. Thats with a good accurate batch. I've had other batches where rounds fell short of the target. Shoot enough Quiets and your mileage will vary sooner or later IME!!
I've since moved on to CCI Segmented subs @ a higher FPS for greater accuracy.
Repeat the above for tree rats, 39 to be exact this winter plus 3 rabbits.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I've shoot coons @ 20yds off the bird feeder @ night With both Quiets rn and Segmented right between the running lights and its pop, whap, plop, and DRT. Thats with a good accurate batch. I've had other batches where rounds fell short of the target. Shoot enough Quiets and your mileage will vary sooner or later IME!!
I've since moved on to CCI Segmented subs @ a higher FPS for greater accuracy.
Repeat the above for tree rats, 39 to be exact this winter plus 3 rabbits.
True dat, IME x 2.

I abandoned them early on. Buddy and I split a brick and upon trying them in a few different rifles, all exhibited serious vertical stringing at 50 yds. Buddy was brave enough to try another brick recently and said they shot great. I bought one, and they've also grouped pretty good.

As far as shooting animals with Quiets I haven't, far as I recall. But many times I've cleanly taken Jack rabbits on down to rats past 50 yds with PCP air rifles that produce less FPE than Quiets do. Surely enough poop behind the Quiets to effectively pop a coon in the head, methinks.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A Quiets thread starts about every month or so but here ya go with a ballistic gel comparison test. Next time its your turn to elucidate everyone y'all. While flash and especially bone is more firm/hard than the gell it gives one some clarification of the power of a 40 grn segmented bullet @ approx 710fps.. IME of whacking quite few tree rats the bullet usually to often completely separates upon impact of the chest, often hitting the front shoulder as thats the way they sit on a little platform next to the feeder.
The Quiet Segmented bullet is partially separated all the way from the nose to the heel of the bullet at the factory. If one pulls a bullet and examines it closely you can see what I say is fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=3ytndFsMyj0
Old 04-24-2019, 04:36 PM
bearman49709
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Where in your post did you even say anything about dogs not to mention one fighting with a coon, smarty pants?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:30 PM
bearman49709
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yeah, don't ask me. What's that comment supposed to mean?

You guys just keep shooting game with these underpowered rounds. I can't stand to see animals suffer and head shooting animals with CCI Quiets borders on cruelty.

When I bought my first box of Quiets to test I put a target on a scrap 3/4" pine board and screwed it to one of my fence post at 20 yards. When I had my scope dialed in with them I took the pine board off the post and saw that not only did every one of them go all the way through the pine board they also went at least 1/2" into the cedar fence post.

If you think killing a coon with one shot to the head with a CCI Quiet borders on cruelty then shooting one where ever with 6 CCI Stingers must be extreme cruelty.

If it takes you 6 or more stingers to kill a coon why would even try a 710FPS RN?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:35 PM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Coons are tough to kill. I shot one recently with a 17HH hitting a lung and he wasn't there in the morning. A few years ago one took a rear quartering shot to the ribcage with a 22 Hornet and lived another two weeks only to be dispatched with a 223. Head shots with anything less than a 223 causes a thrashing lasting 3-4 seconds. Trapped coons are dispatched with a .177 pellet on the top of the skull.
Coons are a terrible problem in my area. Chickens aren't safe, nesting songbirds are raided, feeders knocked over and sweetcorn fields destroyed. I live in the woods surrounded by more woods so a 223 shooting a 40 gr varmageddon at 02:30 out the bathroom window isn't considered a problem. It's unfortunate that coons have become so over populated here. I barely tolerated killing the chickens but when one came in the doggie door and decided the dogs food bowl was his, war was declared. 114 and no end in sight.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All of the coons I have shot at night were shot with HV HP's. Almost all of them died about 75-100 yards from the house.

The ones in the live trap that were shot with HV HP's thrashed around for about a minute, regardless of where they were shot.

Coons are indeed very hard to kill. I plan to use .22 mag on the next one.

I think of coons as small black bears, which are also very destructive. I know of at least one person that lives close to me that kills every black bear he can because of the damage they have done to his stuff.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Retsof

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have zeroed my Ruger 10/22 and Ruger American Rimfire carbine at 25 yds with the CCI Quiet segmented. No problems cycling the 10/22 but not very accurate. However, the RAR carbine is accurate enough for head shots at tree rats, possums and coons (though I have not seen a coon in years in my backyard). I have not had a chance to shoot anything yet with these rounds. I have woods behind my house that are about 40 yards from my 2nd floor balcony but I figured these rounds would only be good to about 25 yds. I wanted something that would not disturb the neighbors and these are very quiet. We'll see how they work.