Working 22WMR subsonic - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Beoulve_22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Working 22WMR subsonic

Greetings, first time poster here. I've been reading the threads for a while and thought I'd take a plunge. I have been working on a subsonic load to either accompany or replace the 45gr Winchester loading. There's nothing wrong with it (so far), but I really only wanna shoot jacketed bullets through my newly purchased CZ512 22WMR...she is a beauty! And to add icing to an already sweet cake, the target sent with the gun was shot with CCI 40gr maximags and produced a 0.72 MOA group. I can improve upon that easily 😊

I gave up on the idea of expansion in anything jacketed that's heavier than 45gr. I would have used the CD load from Hornady as a source of easily expanding bullets (pulling the flex tip makes it expand even easier), but I wanted better penetration and possibly tumbling if I could get it. I decided to use the 50gr gameshok as it is the heaviest bullet known to stabilize in production 22 rimfire guns.

As for the cartridge case, I first tried using the 45gr Winchester ss loads as the lead slug would be easy to pull. It is, but you mess the case mouth up about 25% of the time. I settled on the shotshell load, as it pushs 52gr of packed shot at 1000fps, almost perfect. It also uses a wad to pack the powder near the primer, a great thing for consistent ignition. I tumbled the bullets in hex boron nitride, to aid in shot-to-shot consistency, and to decrease pressure.

I'll be testing them soon at the range. All I need now is a chronograph...
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 PM
Beoulve_22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are my findings:

1) the load is subsonic. I have no chronograph, but I know the sound of a Sonic crack, and there is none. Also, the POI is nearly identical to the Winchester load.

2) no keyholing in a 1-16" twist barrel. My barrel is 18.5" long, and at 35yds I see no signs of keyholing.

3) it cycles the CZ 512. Yep, that's right. Its cyles the action. I think the 50gr bullet paired with the slightly higher powder charge is enough to cycle.

4) it's at least as accurate as Winchester's 45gr subsonic load.

5) it's a bit louder than Winchester's load. At least the thump against the target is, not surprisingly. It is 11% heavier and likely a smidge faster.

A chronograph is next on my list of things to do. Shooting it through a linear comp or a krinkov style muzzle device should simulate what kind of mess it'll make in a suppressor. I don't think the paper wad they use burns up 100% but it does burn into tiny pieces that don't interfere with my current muzzle device.