P-H Inserts will fit Vostok CM-2 rifle (1971 date) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 PM
tortoise1956

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
P-H Inserts will fit Vostok CM-2 rifle (1971 date)

I realize this is repeating information that is already out there, but I just wanted to reinforce the posts that discuss using Lee Shaver inserts on the older model CM-2 rifles.

I recently bought an old Vostok CM-2 rifle with a date stamp of 1971. This is an early full-size CM-2 model with a 26.5 inch barrel and side-mounted rear peep sight. The front sight didn't come with an insert, so I've been busy on the net trying to find info on replacements. I came across posts on this forum discussing modifying Parker-Hale inserts to fit, as well as a recommendation to try Distant Thunder.

I contacted Distant Thunder and we emailed back and forth for a while. Jim emailed me that he had made them before, and the size he quoted appeared to be the correct size. However, he said there was a heavy backlog of work and it might be a while. when I called the number and left a message, I didn't get a response. I figure they're too busy to get to me right now. I don't blame them, it's just the way it worked out.

I have never been accused of being too patient, so I decided to buy some Lee Shaver P-H inserts and seeing if I could make them fit. They came in today, and within an hour my trusty jeweler's file kit and I had modified 2 inserts to fit correctly.

What it took was:
a) filing the tabs down from 2.5 mm to about 1.9 mm by taking 0.3 mm off each side, then
b)gently running the file down the outside of the insert between the tabs, doing little more than removing the paint.

This allowed the tabs to fit into the slots and the insert to move snugly down the inside of the sight so that I could screw down the sight nut and secure the inserts. (The annulus for the insert with the ID I wanted to use was too thin, so I took the next ID insert an used it to increase the size of the annulus by stacking the two of them together. Easy to do with Shaver inserts. (My old eyes thank you and your insert cards, Mr. Shaver!)

I'm still trying to locate other apertures or adjustable irises to use with the rear sight. The one it came with is 1.2 mm, and that's just a tad too small for my eyes. The thread pitch appears to be M6 - 0.75, and I have found neither hide nor hair of anything out there with that particular thread pitch. If anybody has a clue, please let me know...

Last edited by tortoise1956; 04-20-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 AM
bilco40k

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise1956 View Post
I realize this is repeating information that is already out there, but I just wanted to reinforce the posts that discuss using Lee Shaver inserts on the older model CM-2 rifles.

I recently bought an old Vostok CM-2 rifle with a date stamp of 1971. This is an early full-size CM-2 model with a 26.5 inch barrel and side-mounted rear peep sight. The front sight didn't come with an insert, so I've been busy on the net trying to find info on replacements. I came across posts on this forum discussing modifying Parker-Hale inserts to fit, as well as a recommendation to try Distant Thunder.

I contacted Distant Thunder and we emailed back and forth for a while. Jim emailed me that he had made them before, and the size he quoted appeared to be the correct size. However, he said there was a heavy backlog of work and it might be a while. when I called the number and left a message, I didn't get a response. I figure they're too busy to get to me right now. I don't blame them, it's just the way it worked out.

I have never been accused of being too patient, so I decided to buy some Lee Shaver P-H inserts and seeing if I could make them fit. They came in today, and within an hour my trusty jeweler's file kit and I had modified 2 inserts to fit correctly.

What it took was:
a) filing the tabs down from 2.5 mm to about 1.9 mm by taking 0.3 mm off each side, then
b)gently running the file down the outside of the insert between the tabs, doing little more than removing the paint.

This allowed the tabs to fit into the slots and the insert to move snugly down the inside of the sight so that I could screw down the sight nut and secure the inserts. (The annulus for the insert with the ID I wanted to use was too thin, so I took the next ID insert an used it to increase the size of the annulus by stacking the two of them together. Easy to do with Shaver inserts. (My old eyes thank you and your insert cards, Mr. Shaver!)

I'm still trying to locate other apertures or adjustable irises to use with the rear sight. The one it came with is 1.2 mm, and that's just a tad too small for my eyes. The thread pitch appears to be M6 - 0.75, and I have found neither hide nor hair of anything out there with that particular thread pitch. If anybody has a clue, please let me know...
Hi what is the outside diameter "OD" of the insert. My MTS12-2 has 15mm outside diameter "OD" inserts with of set luggs. I made my own ( I have acces to laser engraver) and if your in the U.K. Pm me and ill send you some. or if your in the US, and you know some one who has a laser engraver I could send you the Coreldraw file for you to use. I have also made some for Anchultz forsight with 17mm and 18mm OD.

I use a 4mm diameter on 50m ISSF targets with my Vostcok MTS12-2.

Cheers

Bill
Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
plastic inserts for Russian sights

If you used plastic PH inserts, you would not need to make any alterations at all. I use some made by Neil Price. He no longer makes them, so I guard mine closely. About the rear sight inserts; some Haenel Suhl air rifles and .22 rifles used the same thread size. Go to waffencenter-gotha.de and sift through the tabs, heck, just go here: http://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sho...550::5854.html and you will find what you need. The tricky part is sending them money. None-the-less, these rear sight inserts are what you want.
If you want an adaptor to the standard Gehmann rear iris, go here: https://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sh...550::5865.html

Last edited by stephen_maly; 04-22-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: to enter the URL address correctly

Old 04-23-2019, 04:33 PM
tortoise1956

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilco40k View Post
Hi what is the outside diameter "OD" of the insert. My MTS12-2 has 15mm outside diameter "OD" inserts with of set luggs. I made my own ( I have acces to laser engraver) and if your in the U.K. Pm me and ill send you some. or if your in the US, and you know some one who has a laser engraver I could send you the Coreldraw file for you to use. I have also made some for Anchultz forsight with 17mm and 18mm OD.

I use a 4mm diameter on 50m ISSF targets with my Vostcok MTS12-2.

Cheers

Bill
The size I was quoted by Jim from Distant Thunder was 14.7 mm with 1.88 mm tabs equidistant from each other. Doesn't sound like yours will work. I appreciate your offer anyway - Murphy knows I need all the help I can get... :-)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:42 PM
tortoise1956

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_maly View Post
If you used plastic PH inserts, you would not need to make any alterations at all. I use some made by Neil Price. He no longer makes them, so I guard mine closely. About the rear sight inserts; some Haenel Suhl air rifles and .22 rifles used the same thread size. Go to waffencenter-gotha.de and sift through the tabs, heck, just go here: http://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sho...550::5854.html and you will find what you need. The tricky part is sending them money. None-the-less, these rear sight inserts are what you want.
If you want an adaptor to the standard Gehmann rear iris, go here: https://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sh...550::5865.html
Just went to the links you sent, and my response is:

HOLY CRAP, BATMAN! These are exactly what I need for the rear sights! You have made my day. Hell, you've made my month!

Now I guess I start researching airgun thread pitches to see if I can find one for my Savage/Anschutz Mark 10 rear sight. IIRC, it's 7/32 - 32 instead of 7/32 - 40 like civilized rear sights...

Thanks again. I suggest that this info get added to the Vostok sticky for future reference.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:56 AM
bilco40k

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise1956 View Post
The size I was quoted by Jim from Distant Thunder was 14.7 mm with 1.88 mm tabs equidistant from each other. Doesn't sound like yours will work. I appreciate your offer anyway - Murphy knows I need all the help I can get... :-)

tortoise1956

the 15mm od was for my rifle. I can modify the dimensions for you.