V-max Lil gun Not! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Jean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
V-max Lil gun Not!

Well, I pulled some bullets last night and the Lil gun powder is not in the New or old Remington 33gr. V-max ammo! I also pulled a bullet in the OSSI coyote killer round and tis not in there either! The powder in the V-max and the Coyote killers is the same powder used in the CCI +V! What there doing in the Coyote killers is pulling the 30gr. +V bullet and replacing it with the 35gr. V-max round don't ask me how there not getting high pressures but there not. I weighed the +V and the Coyote killers and both have 7.2gr. of what looks like Accurate arms #9 or #7 but it is not Lil Gun and the powder in the very first loading of the V-max Remington ammo is a flake type powder the new CCI loading is a ball type. Just thought you guys would like to know.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Chum

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The one time I pulled a Rem Premier the powder was a mixture of ball and flake powder.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Chum

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The sparkles are the flat disc shaped stuff

Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 PM
Howler
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Old thread but new info. The 35gr CCI game point bullet is loaded with a ball powder & looks to be of the extreme type (Green Tint to it) It also has 7.2gr of powder per cartridge. This one is a tack driver @50 yrds from my CZ512 & gets a average of 2100 FPS M.V from its 16" tactical Barrel.

love this load! Still, would not use it on coyotes other than head shots though.
Funny that the 40gr game point is loaded with 6.2gr of what looks like the same powder used in there 40gr Maxi Mag & FMJ loads.
I weighed 15 loaded catridges of both 35 & 40gr loads. I then took the lightest & heaviest from the groups & disassembled them. The biggest weight variance came from the bullet. The poweder charges was actually very accurate in both loads & the case weight played a very small (.2 gr) role in the variance. The bullet weight variance in the 35gr was 0.5gr & the 40gr bullet varied nearly a whole gr! 0.9 gr to be exact. Just food for thought
Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The powder charges was actually very accurate in both loads

Yep, same thing I found when I did some rimfire dissection.

the case weight played a very small (.2 gr) role in the variance.

I had a bit higher, 0.3 gr, but I was dissecting an entire box of 50.

the 40gr bullet varied nearly a whole grain 0.9 grain

Similar to my results also.

One thing you didn't weigh was primer amounts.
That's a tricky one to accomplish.
Make sure all powder is out.
Weigh the case, record the info.
Ignite the primer, I held it in a torch flame for a moment.
Use a brush to remove all the residue in the brass including the rim
then weigh the empty brass to calc how much primer was in it.
I had 0.3 gr, plus or minus, variations which explains some of the mv spread also.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:51 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the CCI A22 ammo also. Out of my 452, right at MOA. Bullets expand and hold together well. Although I have only put 25 rounds or so thru my CZ, thinking it might become my go to ammo.

Been reading independent chrono testing and sounds like most are getting 2,100 to 2,200+ At those velocities, easily the highest energy loading on the market. Planning to get my Shooting Chrony out when the weather cooperates.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:49 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is the OSSI Coyote killer?
Old 02-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Howler
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR View Post
I like the CCI A22 ammo also. Out of my 452, right at MOA. Bullets expand and hold together well. Although I have only put 25 rounds or so thru my CZ, thinking it might become my go to ammo.

Been reading independent chrono testing and sounds like most are getting 2,100 to 2,200+ At those velocities, easily the highest energy loading on the market. Planning to get my Shooting Chrony out when the weather cooperates.
(Is this the same Mac I sold a 10/22 mag to back oh, maybe 13-16 yrs ago?)

The 35 gr is great! But the 40gr version not so much! Very low velocity in my rifles & accuracy is no comparison. FWIW, I have 2 hand loads I'm tweaking @ the moment, both use fed primed brass because its shown the lowest E.S to date. But anyhow, the 1st load is using a 40gr speer spire point & gets 2046 FPS with a E.S of only 42fps. The other is a 45 gr sierra spitzer which is getting 1846 fps & a E.S of 56 FPS. The 45gr is so hard it should be considered a FMJ from the 22 WMR! But @ that velocity (which is faster than most 40gr production ammo) and with the B.C of the spitzer bullet, this one shoots really flat & carrys alot of energy down range. Of course this is not a economical way to shoot the mag! But Ive been been shooting the 22 mag a long time & just wondered what it was capable of. I have been checking everything about the load out & even trimming my own cases! Its been fun..

Last edited by Howler; 02-28-2019 at 06:15 PM.