Broken Mainspring Housing.... - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:53 PM
Garys4598
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Gary,

LK is right! No doubt, Ruger will have the lower "good-as-factory-new"! Curious if they are covering shipment both ways?

Ted
I don't know about the return shipping, but the Customer Service Rep made no mention of Ruger paying for the frame's initial shipment to them. He simply provided me an address to ship to, and instructions to include a detailed note as to "what happened." I'm completely fine with that.

I purchased the Ruger Mark IV Target Standard lower frame from Wirthwein Guns (I did not purchase a complete Mark IV). A Volquartsen Custom LLV barrel assembly comprises this pistol's upper. So.... I'm a little relieved to learn that they are willing to take the lower frame at all, since it was never a complete Ruger Mark IV pistol.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys4598 View Post
I don't know about the return shipping, but the Customer Service Rep made no mention of Ruger paying for the frame's initial shipment to them. He simply provided me an address to ship to, and instructions to include a detailed note as to "what happened." I'm completely fine with that.

I purchased the Ruger Mark IV Target Standard lower frame from Wirthwein Guns (I did not purchase a complete Mark IV). A Volquartsen Custom LLV barrel assembly comprises this pistol's upper. So.... I'm a little relieved to learn that they are willing to take the lower frame at all, since it was never a complete Ruger Mark IV pistol.
Hopefully, they leave your Cerakoted lower alone and make the MSH replacement and re-insertion of OEM parts complete, getting you back in business with your beautiful custom rig!!

I understand the pride in an arrangement such as yours. I just installed a new MkIV 22\45 Lite Upper (from Lee at WG) on my Hunter lower. Once I saw the color scheme match with my VQ laminated wood grips...had to have it!

27 years ago, I honed my Ruger MkII Comp Target Slab Sided Sear\hammer Too much...became unsafe. Ruger asked me to ship it to them...they replace those parts, accurized the action to a crisp 2# pull, installed and set PT\OT screws, included a bulls eye target with 9 single clover leaf holes in the center bulls eye (wayward shot #1 was for ransom rest setup) and returned to it me pre-paid. My eldest son has shot that pistol these past 25 years (+100K rounds) and today, still shoots, looks and functions perfectly!!!

Maybe Ruger will treat yours like That...Let us know Gary how it all shakes out!

Ted
Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well, I hope you get a better shipping price that the $50 Ive been hearing about....Id be checking into that first. I have also heard that if you are on good terms with a local FFL, especially if you had originally bought the gun there, they get better rates.
And maybe check what at price you can buy a msh online from a 'parts gun'.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Well, I hope you get a better shipping price that the $50 Ive been hearing about....Id be checking into that first. I have also heard that if you are on good terms with a local FFL, especially if you had originally bought the gun there, they get better rates.
No FFL shipment needed as Gary is sending in just the unregistered lower!

Ted
Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

That was very good of Ruger. Often the first question is for the serial number.

The shipping is a surprise, normally they would send you a box with postage paid label. Not that either of us would complain, just odd is all.

Final comment if this part fails again, you should be looking at the upper. It would not hurt to give VQ a courtesy call and share the experience. They are a smaller company. I think they appreciate the feedback. Obviously not a complaint. On the other hand of they get a couple calls it might give them some reason for thought. I called them like that when I had a fitment issue with the internal kit. Ruger tolerances are kind of an unknown and I though it would be helpful to feedback my issue and how I handled it (shimmed).
Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
That was very good of Ruger. Often the first question is for the serial number.
Yeah, the Ruger Customer Service rep did ask for the pistol's serial number almost upfront.... which is when I had to go into my explanation of how I purchased the Mark IV lower frame separately from Wirthwein Guns, with all internals intact. The Service rep requested that I include the Volquartsen serial number within my packing slip explanation note to them, which I found a bit odd. I imagine that they use the serial number as a component of the filing reference for the job orders that they perform.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:35 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The Service rep requested that I include the Volquartsen serial number within my packing slip explanation note to them, which I found a bit odd. I imagine that they use the serial number as a component of the filing reference for the job orders that they perform.
I just returned the stripped slide from my SR9c to Ruger to have them remove the (impossibly tight) rear sight. The CS woman I talked to also asked that I note the serial number in my accompanying letter. I found it puzzling too but perhaps you have it right.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy UPDATE

UPDATE:

I received a telephone call this morning from Ruger's Customer Service. My Mark IV's frame should be back in the mail to me by NLT tomorrow.... but I had to pay for the replacement mainspring housing. $67.16. I inquired with the nice lady if this part fell within Ruger's warrantee service? Her response to me was "No. The mainspring housing is considered a 'major' part and is not covered under warrantee."

I inquired about return shipping, and she said they would cover that. So I gave her my credit card number.

Hindsight being what it is.... I think I should have asked whether I could buy a second mainspring housing, just to keep as a spare.

Last edited by Garys4598; 09-23-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
UPDATE:

I received a telephone call this morning from Ruger's Customer Service. My Mark IV's frame should be back in the mail to me by NLT tomorrow.... but I had to pay for the replacement mainspring housing. $67.16. I inquired with the nice lady if this part fell within Ruger's warrantee service? Her response to me was "No. The mainspring housing is considered a 'major' part and is not covered under warrantee."

I inquired about return shipping, and she said they would cover that. So I gave her my credit card number.

Hindsight being what it is.... I think I should have asked whether I could buy a second mainspring housing, just to keep as a spare.
I called the Customer Service department back and spoke to the same rep. Turns out that they will not sell a second mainspring housing part to me. The part is required to be 'factory installed'; the only way to obtain the part is to provide them your pistol's frame.

Last edited by Garys4598; 09-23-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
So, a 'major part' fails and Is Not Covered Under Warranty? Whats with That!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
UPDATE:

Gary,

Well, should get it back in top shape! Bummer they didn't cover it...possibly due to the part having been removed\reinstalled after the finishing work???

Earlier, there was a good suggestion that you take this "major part" failure issue up with VQ. Maybe they might have some insight as to if\how their upper contributed to this situation?

Ted
Old 09-23-2019, 04:45 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Gary,

Well, should get it back in top shape! Bummer they didn't cover it...possibly due to the part having been removed\reinstalled after the finishing work???

Ted
The fact that the part had been removed for the frame's cerakoting and then reinstalled, could very well have been the reason. But the customer service rep never inquired about that; didn't imply whatsoever. I think if Ruger would have had any issues with my pistol's setup, they would have pointed the finger at my using a VqC LLV upper. But again, not even a hint or inquiry from them.

The Mark IV is still somewhat new to their lineup, so.... I think that all anyone can hope for is that sometime in the future the mainspring housing assembly will one day be available for purchase from the Ruger parts store or by aftermarket parts sellers.

Last edited by Garys4598; 09-23-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:46 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UPDATE

UPDATE:

My lower frame arrived back from Ruger today. Yes, they reinstalled all of its original OEM parts (that I shipped in small baggies with it), save for the magazine release latch. The Tandemkross extended latch that I shipped installed in the frame is still in place... apparently they didn't want to bugger with it.

I find this to be a quick service turn-around; I'm very pleased. Now, I need to swap back in the VqC trigger components and take her to the firing range this weekend.