Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 PM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kimber 1911 22LR Conversion Unit

I just saw a catalog entry for the Kimber 1911 22LR Conversion Unit that had a significant warning on the unit. It said to only use plated bullets and no bare lead bullets. That seriously limits the usefulness of the device!

This is just another reason to investigate any conversion units for 1911's. One (I don't remember which one... maybe Ceiner??) would not fit any 1911 but the 45ACP as the ejector for all other cartridges interfered with the conversion unit's slide operation.

My Marvel Conversion Unit No. 1 can use any cartridges and works fine on both my 45ACP RI 1911 and my Colt 10mm 1911. I typically use CCI Standard Velocity ammo (exposed lead) with absolutely no problems.

LDBennett
Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 AM
slicers63

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Kimber conversion unit that I have been shooting for over a year and have put 2-3000 rounds through it. It has been very dependable. I rountinely use plated and unplated rounds with no problems or issues. When it starts to get dirty it works better with hi-velocity rounds. I'll put 150 -200 rounds through it at a session with no more tha 1-2 FTF. I do not think that mine had a warning on it againts unplated bullets.

It is so much more dependable that my ADVANTAGE ARMS unit for my Glock.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
My Kimber conversion runs fine with plain lead Federal & Winchester ammo... as well as the copper-washed bulk stuff... and it works on both 9mm and .45 frames.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 AM
.22 (+)

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
High velocity and plated bullets? Yes, they say that. In my experience, every .22 is different concerning what ammo it likes to shoot.
I use my slide on both my 1911's. Both shoot HV and SV unplated. One will not shoot plated mini-mags.
The unit and mag needs to be well lubed, and at the Range during shooting re-lubed to keep it running with no issues.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
mikem2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot mine all the time with Dynapoints and Golden Bullets, both are coated. My preference is to avoid lead bullets in .22 semi-auto pistols. They leave a lot of lead residue, especially when they heat up.

Mine is target pistol accurate on my Kimber CBPII. Other than no slide lock on the last round, no complaints.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The real target ammo (Eley, CCI SV, and many others) is almost without exception un-plated lead. Not being recommended serious limits the possibilities. But I suppose since the Kimber Unit is a tactical practice style rather than a target conversion unit that is not a real limitation(??).

LDBennett