R-119 mag... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile R-119 mag...

R-119 mag disassembly and reassembly... just in case you need to take one apart!!!

This mag I got for the unbelieveably low ebay price of $26.25!!! Turns out it had issues!!! The follower tended to stick about halfway up, and the end of the follower spring was slipping up past the follower, don't know if that would have caused a problem but I didn't like it. The problem with the follower sticking looked like it was due to internal rust so I decided that a disassembly was in order. It was missing the short adapter so I made one up so after that little detail was taken care of I started the disassembly procedure. There is a definite order of disassembly otherwise parts will block each other.
Order of disassembly...
#1 Remove the release lever pivot pin.
#2 Remove the release lever.
#3 Remove the release lever spring.
#4 Remove the magazine floor plate, but the front end that is bent down to lock it in place has to be straightened first.
#5 Remove the follower spring and follower as a single piece since they are attached to each other.

Some things that I found when I disassembled this mag... the release lever pivot pin was moderately bent. I must assume that this was done when it was originally made as there were no indications that it had ever been disassembled before. I straightened the pivot pin with the intention of reusing it. And there was more than enough internal rust to be the cause of the follower sticking in the mag, cleaned that up. I had to rotate the follower spring one half of a turn and snip off 1/4 of a turn to get the spring to apply pressure to the follower so that a tipping tendency of the follower was eliminated. I started the reassembly, well the release lever pivot pin did not want to go back in and I effectively destroyed it in the process, lucky for me I did no other damage!!! I did find a almost perfect replacement for it... a #4 finish nail!!! The ones I had varied from .069 to .071 and it was the .071 that fit so perfectly!!! And its point and extra long length made reassembly very easy!!!

To reassemble start by ...
#1 Install the release lever spring. Its spring tension holds it pretty securely in its channel so you don't have to worry about it slipping or falling out. The two small legs are pointed towards the bottom of the mag and are against body of the mag, or away from the clip angle channel. Align the coils centers with the release lever pivot pin hole and leave it for now, its tension will hold it securely unless you start hammering on it.
#2 Install the follower and follower spring
#3 Install the floor plate. I didn't bend the tab on the front down until I had the entire mag completely assembled and it was a good thing as the failure of the original pivot pin to install correctly required me to completely disassemble the mag while I searched for a substitute. You know the #4 finish nail!!!
#4 Install the release lever and the release lever pivot pin. In this case I used the #4 finish nail and its pointed end made aligning the holes in the mag body, the coils of the release lever spring and the hole in the release lever VERY easy!!! The original pivot pin had a sharp square end that was slightly burred from being peened over on its original installation which is what I am assuming made the installation of the original pivot pin so difficult, well in this case impossible. I used a special pair of flush cutting diagonal side cutters to cut the nail flush and then used a small center punch to peen the end of the nail to try to duplicate the original factory peening thereby locking the pivot pin in place. I forgot to mention that the head of the nail was too large and I turned it down on a mini-lathe that I have. It could have been done with a small fine file just as effectively, but it would have taken a bit longer!!! After I was satisfied that everything was functioning properly I did the last step.
#5 Bend the front of the floor plate downward slightly to lock it in place. Be careful when you bend that tab down as the hole where the short adapter goes is a weak spot and you may cause the floorplate the bend there also when you bend the front tab down. I don't think you have to ask how I know that!!! A #8 finish nail with the point ground or filed flat and a two ounce hammer will help you straigthen the floor plate back to its original shape.
Another piece of info that may be of help... I do believe that the only real difference between the R-118 and the R-119 is that the R-119 has an extra threaded hole in its base plate for the R-120 "short adapter". Other than that I do believe that they are identical and can be used interchangeably. If anyone knows POSITIVELY, please pm me so I can correct this post if needed!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 04-09-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
This should be up top somewhere
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Then you should...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe View Post
This should be up top somewhere
Then you should save the link to this post on a word document with a short description of what the link is about!!! I've gone through most of the pages in the Mossberg forum looking for AND cataloging links to mostly my threads, or threads that I made a post like this one so I don't have to re-explain and repost what has already been answered and done!!! I go look in my catalog of articles(aka threads) and see what will cover what needs to be explained. Makes good sense doesn't it!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Then you should save the link to this post on a word document with a short description of what the link is about!!! I've gone through most of the pages in the Mossberg forum looking for AND cataloging links to mostly my threads, or threads that I made a post like this one so I don't have to re-explain and repost what has already been answered and done!!! I go look in my catalog of articles(aka threads) and see what will cover what needs to be explained. Makes good sense doesn't it!!!
God Bless, Frank.

I'm lucky I can post what I can.......................................
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 PM
p_jackson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
It's gonna get saved to my "tfrank's technical advice" file at home.