Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:00 PM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron85 View Post
Iíve owned them all. The older rugers and colts were really nice. I finally sold them all off and bought a freedom arms with 3 cylinders. Thereís nothing better to want now.

Iron

All .22 rimfire cylinders? Which one seems to shoot best?
Old 01-21-2022, 05:41 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
I bought a Heritage Rough Rider convertible with a 6 1/2" barrel a couple months ago. Still checking it out with different ammo but I think it is more accurate with the magnums.
This is to be expected. To make a revolver that can take either 22WRM or 22LR cylinders, the frame window must be long enough for a 22WMR cylinder. This means there's a large jump from the case mouth to the forcing cone for the 22lr bullets fired in the 22lr cylinder; this does nothing to help accuracy. Also, 22WMR uses a .001" larger bore than 22lr; yes, you can shoot the 22lr through the slightly loose 22WMR-bore barrel, but again, it's not going to help the accuracy any.

In every instance I can recall, anyone who has owned a 22WRM/LR convertible revolver has opined that the 22WMR is more accurate, given ammo of equal quality. Now you know why.

Not that it matters much: those who own the convertibles are usually looking for "minute of small game" accuracy out of the 22wmr side, and "minute of pop can" out of the 22lr (plinking) cylinder...
Old 01-22-2022, 10:50 AM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
This is to be expected. To make a revolver that can take either 22WRM or 22LR cylinders, the frame window must be long enough for a 22WMR cylinder. This means there's a large jump from the case mouth to the forcing cone for the 22lr bullets fired in the 22lr cylinder; this does nothing to help accuracy.

That right there makes sense. Yet, most revolvers I've seen made by the big name makers don't use shorter cylinders with the barrel going further into the frame window for .22LR specific guns.

My H&R 999 does have a short enough cylinder that .22 WMR won't fit lengthwise, but most others including S&W don't shorten the cylinder for just .22 LR. Of course, they usually make those revolvers for .22 WMR as well, but they are not "convertibles".

But then there's the case of the Ruger Bearcat with a cylinder long enough for .22 WMR, but only made in .22LR (if you don't count an "ooops" by Ruger decades ago).