Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:17 PM
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete10 View Post
A stock shjould be made of walnut............................................ ...I got one at a gun show, one off e bay for my carbines, bought a Delux sporter with walnut. You don't have to buy plastic. Even liminated is better than plastic. I may put walnut on my AR.
Yes I agree..But if ya wanna be tacticool, plastic fantastic is it these days I guess I also agree that even laminated is superior to the plastic option..

One thing I could never understand about some of the Plastic stocks out there..Is that they are so butt ugly, I cannot even fathom what the guy that designed it was thinking, let alone the guy that purchased it... It is like they drew up the absolutely ugliest design they could think of, then dove further into the ugly abyss..Have to wander if they were on something mind altering and actually thought it was a great idea at the time

I just cannot imagine some of my antique furniture in my house being made of plastic, instead of say Oak.Or buying a plastic table and chairs for my Kitchen.Anymore than my Rifles having plastic furniture on em..

There is a trend of Real classic older wood and steel Firearms skyrocketing in value right now, and I think that trend will grow even more in the future..As more start to reject the plastic..And more start seeking out the older well made Firearms..

But they say beauty in on the eye of the beholder I guess..
Old 01-12-2022, 11:45 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Main thing here is life is too short to shoot an ugly gun............
Old 01-12-2022, 11:54 AM
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Arrowhead that is a good looking stock.

Mals
Old 01-13-2022, 09:59 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
OK, after fiddling with Windows 11, a totally new thing to me, and Imgur for sometime let's see if this works.

I added a custom touch, my initial using stainless in an end grain piece of mesquite surrounded by a ring of aluminum tubing.

This stock is a few years old and shows no sign of warping. The fore end tip and grip cap are made from one of the most useless woods on earth, Siberian Elm. It is extremely difficult to do anything with because of the great difference between grain hardness. I think it turned out OK.
Very nice!!! Where did you find it?
Old 01-14-2022, 12:06 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are referring to the bamboo I found it at Rockler's. If the worthless elm, it was from a tree I cut down out in my pasture that came up on it's own. It is very invasive species but it's a tree so I left it there but our extended drouth eventually got it.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:47 PM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've heard that Mesquite is a beautiful wood, but the way it grows, one can't really find a large enough straight piece to make a stock out of.

I'd love to make a stock for a Marlin 80 I have here, but a supplier seems to be out of my search reach.

That inlay you put in the forend demonstrates just how pretty it can be.

Roger
Old 01-14-2022, 03:52 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I think it turned out OK.
Me too.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:09 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
I've heard that Mesquite is a beautiful wood, but the way it grows, one can't really find a large enough straight piece to make a stock out of.

I'd love to make a stock for a Marlin 80 I have here, but a supplier seems to be out of my search reach.

That inlay you put in the forend demonstrates just how pretty it can be.

Roger
Mesquites get big enough in Texas to get a stock blank from although I have never seen anyone offer them. A brother-in-law brough me a chunk of mesquite from a tree he cut down in his pasture several years ago but it wasn't large enough to get a stock out of. Close but not quite. Many years ago when all we had was gun magazines to read there were some made from screw bean mesquite from California but they disappeared long ago.

I like to work with mesquite and have made several sets of pistol grips from it as I can find a piece big enough for that around here now and then. The trick is to find a a piece where it branches and it usually has some nice figure. You will usually find a hidden crack or two and borers love the dead wood. It has it's drawback though. It is very hard and heavy. Ordinary tools don't keep an edge very long. Carbide cutters and abrasives are the way to go.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:09 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Me too.
Thanks, Al.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:08 AM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Mesquites get big enough in Texas to get a stock blank from although I have never seen anyone offer them. A brother-in-law brough me a chunk of mesquite from a tree he cut down in his pasture several years ago but it wasn't large enough to get a stock out of. Close but not quite. Many years ago when all we had was gun magazines to read there were some made from screw bean mesquite from California but they disappeared long ago.
Good news from my perspective. It means there's still hope, but it might be pricey. The way it sounds, I'd have better luck glueing up a blank from smaller pieces, and a shotgun stock, or two-piece rifle stock would be very do-able.

Quote:
It has it's drawback though. It is very hard and heavy. Ordinary tools don't keep an edge very long. Carbide cutters and abrasives are the way to go.
Hmmm. Hard and heavy equals dense. Suggests it would be good for exclusive benchrest work, and shouldn't warp, especially once sealed up. Too bad so much of it is used for cooking/smoking fuel.

Thanks for the feedback.....Roger