Comparison of TD Barrels with Cantilever Rails - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Tom E Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Comparison of TD Barrels with Cantilever Rails

I noticed recently that Adaptive Tactical has changed the design of the cantilevered rail on their TD barrels. The older style AT rail was quite flexible and seemed to be mounted too far forward on the barrel to me. While I was very impressed with the reliability and accuracy of my AT Charger barrel with the old style rail, I ended up cutting the rail to use a red dot, since the full length rail was just not that useful because of the excessive flex when a medium or large scope was mounted. Here is a comparison of the old and new rail styles:

Old Adaptive Tactical cantilever rail style:

New Adaptive Tactical cantilever rail style:

Note how the new style AT rail is mounted further back on the barrel (closer to the receiver) than the old style AT rail. It is much stiffer and does not seem to have any flex. However the new rail has some draw backs; it appears to be wider, deeper and lower which probably helps with stiffness but it now interferes with the charging handle. I had to file about 1.5mm off the top of my Kidd charging handle to be able to install the barrel.

This photo shows the bright area on the top of the charging handle where I had to file it:

This photo shows the clearance issue as the barrel is installed:

The clearance issues don't stop there, here you can see that the scope ring has to be mounted forward of the charging handle, unless you intend to remove the scope every time you want to remove the barrel, this makes the rearmost 1" +/- of the rail useless:

Here are a couple of photos comparing the new style AT cantilever rail with the Volquartsen cantilever rail, note the difference in length:

The shorter VQ rail does not interfere with the charging handle:

I have not had a chance to shoot the new AT barrel yet, but will report back with a comparison to the Volquartsen barrel as soon as I can.
Cheers
TEG

Last edited by Tom E Gun; 01-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another Canadian who has been following your trials and tribulations says thanks(buying the wrong headaches is expensive)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 AM
DeltaNu1142

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Comparison of TD Barrels with Cantilever Rails

Thanks for this. As noted in the other thread, I bought what ended up being a first-gen AT barrel because I wanted to flip the rail so it cantilevered forward over the barrel, rather than rearward over the receiver, to mount a scout optic. Now that I've tried it, I know it's not possible to do that with the first-gen AT because the tapped holes in the barrel aren't symmetrical in the dovetail.

I also would have been aggravated to find the new AT rail/scope ring interfering with the charging handle.

I have ordered a Volquartsen barrel, which looks like it will support the configuration I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DeltaNu1142; 01-10-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2021, 07:20 PM
Scrumbag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very useful thread folks.

Has anyone tried these rails with the Magpul back packer stock?

ATB,

Scrummy
Old 12-13-2021, 01:29 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
You could always just use a receiver mounted rail and not have to worry about it at all. I know there was a lot of speculation early on about them changing poi when taking the barrel on/off but I have found this to be a non-issue as long as the barrel is installed correctly.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:40 AM
scoony
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like the rails are attached with screws. Can they be reversed for a scout scope set-up?
Old 01-06-2022, 11:00 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for a great comparison. I’m currently using the VQ barrel with cantilever. I find that I can’t mount my scope far enough to the end of the cantilever to give myself proper I relief. I’ve been toying with the idea of using a set of cantilevered rings. Any thoughts on that?

Roger