Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Is "Minute Of Tin Can" Accuracy Acceptable?

12K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  aarondhgraham 
#1 ·
I just purchased this Sporter Carbine with every intention of scoping it as I'm at an age that I don't see open sights as well as in my youth.

In fact I already have the scope and rings so installation is just a simple procedure.

BUT....I am so smitten with the looks, feel, and handling of this rifle as it is my initial intentions are to keep it stock and just shoot it for fun.

So "Minute Of Tin Can Accuracy" may be my expectations at least for now. :)

See less See more
#36 ·
MOSRD

I agree with Stalkin' Blues.
I figure that MY guns are supposed to please ME, regardless of what you think - no offense intended.
That street goes both ways, Your guns should please YOU! If you want a scope, get one. We are fortunate to have a lot of good choices for sighting accessories. I like and use all of them.
I think your rifle is the best looking of the 10-22's, I have one also.
I never own enough 10-22's, everyone wants to use them at the family fun shoots.

#5 ·
Tin cans come in different sizes, but for a plinker that should get you by. Most shooters here want to make there stock rifles shoot like a bench rest rifle. Can be done but don't expect it to be done on the cheap. Just remember the basic 10-22 is not a target quality rifle with out additional work and expense.

#17 · (Edited)
Go with the Skinners, or Williams receiver sights.

Way better for old eyes, or young ones for plinking.
Totally! I'm 53 and need reading glasses. I love open sights for plinking but was upset when I couldn't use Buckhorns anymore. I researched what other people my age did and found out that peep sights somehow still work with older eyes. I was skeptical about their actual effectiveness so I was reluctant to lay out the cash. Let me tell you that they worked like magic for me. Not only could I line up the sights but I was more accurate with them then I was before. Definitely worth it
Ps I used Williams mounted on the receiver dovetail

#7 ·
I am very familiar with old eyes. The peep sights do help but you cant hit what you cant see. Smaller targets I need a scope. I have a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x20 in the lowest rings I could find and it works really well. A 2.5X or 4X20 would probably work just as well for a plinker. The back up is a barrel dove tail mounted Skinner peep.

#10 ·
As mentioned depends on the size of the tin can. Little mushroom or Vienna sausage cans yeah. Big Progresso soup cans no. I think you'll find it will do pretty good if you find some ammo it likes. CCI standard velocity usually shows how well a rifle can do for regular ammo. Nice looking rifle.

#11 ·
I think the factory front bead is too big, but thats my eye. Its just that a big bead has never resulted in tight groups for me.
And the factory rear just doesnt have the right sight picture for me, the adjustable for elev. plate with its tiny opening doesnt sit right in the wings of the sight leaf and it is hard to pick up. Id prefer more of an old school open rear and blade front for a decent Partridge Sight Picture.
Or the rear peep if your eye can use it; for me its a fuzzy egg-shaped hole unless it is pretty big. But a big hole, or even 'ghost ring', isnt all that bad, I think a lot of folks ere with trying to use too small a hole.

#15 ·
its what i grew up with - along with minute of rat at the dump , but i think those days are rapidly going away , most ranges require paper targets these days and there are few dumps or sandpits still available , life has changed a lot in the last 50 years , i still think you have a keeper ....

#16 ·
Thanks so much everyone for the words of encouragement and your kind compliments.

Obviously from an accuracy standpoint the scope with be a drastic improvement but for now I'm excited to shoot this as it is with full understanding that I'll be giving up some accuracy but I can make that up with another rifle.

As a thought I'm considering setting up some clay pigeons around the woods to shoot from various distances, terrain, stances, etc. I'm thinking their bright color will add some contrast to the sight picture.

#20 ·
Big Pete and The Burg, I agree with you both and am excited to have a fun gun that I can shoot without concern in pin point accuracy.

In my younger years I shot a lot for fun and the only time extreme accuracy was a concern was a head shot on a squirrel high in a tree hidden behind limbs and leaves or when we were competing as to who could hit the most walnuts from the farthest away.

In many ways that was more fun than the seriousness of accuracy with which we're concerned with today.

#25 ·
And after all it's about having fun isn't it? Watching a tin can hop along in front of you is lots of fun. I do the same thing with whatever floats down the creek near my niece's house. I sit on the bridge and plink whatever floats by. A scope is too much trouble for that kind of shooting and you can get surprisingly good if you practice. I used to use a Remington pump .22, but am shopping for a 10/22. Yours is a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting. And by the way, I'll be 73 next month and need glasses to read, but can still hit floating leaves, twigs, and the occasional water snake. Your body does not forget the feel of a well balanced rifle. And carrying one you love is half the fun.

#22 · (Edited)
I just bought a 10/22 SS Sporter and I'm in the same boat as you concerning using iron sights. I wear bifocals and they don't line up for iron sight use so I mounted a Weaver V-10 2-10x38 scope on it, just because I love that scope, and so far it is a tack driver with the Aguila copper-plated 40 gr. ammo I'm currently using.
I like the way it looks with the scope on it but I understand how you feel about keeping it stock. To each his own.
If that's the way you want to use it and "minute of tin can" is good for you then by all means go for it. You'll enjoy the rifle no matter what.
Happy shooting!
By the way, I intend to use mine for small game hunting as well as at the range/plinking, so the best accuracy I can get is important to me.

#23 ·
Aftermarket Aperture Sights

I just purchased this Sporter Carbine ... smitten with the looks, feel, and handling of this rifle as it is my initial intentions are to keep it stock and just shoot it for fun.
Like many, um ... mature shooters, I also appreciate a 'scope (being almost 68-11/12 years young)

However, I personally attest that either model (TSR-100 or TSR-200) for the Ruger 10/22 will increase the FUN Factor of shooting the rifle and, at the same time, will add to the rifle's good looks (IMHO).

And FYI, the front sight, while taller than the factory original, does not interfere with a 'scope (at least not on my 10/22). Meaning, you could 'scope or red dot the rifle and keep/carry the rear Tech-Sight as a backup.

Check TECH-SIGHTS - link https://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/

#45 ·
Like many, um ... mature shooters, I also appreciate a 'scope (being almost 68-11/12 years young)

However, I personally attest that either model (TSR-100 or TSR-200) for the Ruger 10/22 will increase the FUN Factor of shooting the rifle and, at the same time, will add to the rifle's good looks (IMHO).

And FYI, the front sight, while taller than the factory original, does not interfere with a 'scope (at least not on my 10/22). Meaning, you could 'scope or red dot the rifle and keep/carry the rear Tech-Sight as a backup.

Check TECH-SIGHTS - link https://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/
+1 for the Tech Sights. Put TSR200 on this one. 22" barrel and cleaned up a stock trigger. I'm 58, and still don't need glasses, but the eyes aren't what they used to be. I shoot it way better with the new sights.

Attachments

#24 ·
I set mine up as a wannabe M-1 Carbine 'Liberty Training Rifle' type and it is my fun-gun. Ive plenty of 'target rifles' so it doesnt need to pretend to be one.
Kinda like bein' a kid again.....:gun4:

#26 ·
I've got one of those. I had to add a scope, though, and when I put the scope on it, I decided it wasn't shooting as well as I'd hoped, so I put a GM fluted sporter barrel on it.
You have to watch out for that, it's a disease, like CZ-itis, which you already have experienced. (the GM barrel cut group sizes in half, though). Just be careful, 10/22s can be as bad as CZs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.