Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:04 AM
BGAndrea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Custom 10/22 or High End other brand?

Hello all,
This is my first post to this forum, so please forgive me if it is in the wrong section. I am an AR-15 guy mainly, having both custom built firearms as well as some from high-end builders. My stepfather has started coming to the range with me, which has been a lot of fun. He had an Anschutz as a kid and missed it, so my mother and I got him a really nice vintage biathlon single shot Anschutz whose owner had won competitions all over the world with it. Sadly for some reason my step-father took off all of the stickers that were on the old wooden case that were from each match. I have no idea why he did that...lol Anyway, seeing his 22 kind of peaked my interest and thought it would be fun to get a 22 so we are both shooting the same caliber. I don't like the look of his stock which has adjustments for absolutely everything. I kind of like the sleek thumbhole stocks I am seeing aftermarket or that come in the sporting/hunting Anschutz or some Volquartsen rifles. My question is, is it better to get a 10/22 and customize it or get one from a high end manufacturer? I know this probably comes down to personal preference, kind or like AR-15s, but someone told me it's different for rifles like this because for example high end manufactures bed in the barrel to the specific stock. Thanks! Oh, my budget is around $2k minus optic. Optic recommendations are appreciated as well.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Bumping it to the top.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:18 PM
snipes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With that type of budget, if a 10/22 is what you are after, I'd suggest simply buying a fully built Kidd Supergrade directly from them. Like AR's, 10/22s can be customized to your heart's content, but most consider the various Kidd parts top of the line. You could very well end up swapping out all the factory parts with Kidd parts anyway, thus just buy it preconfigured upfront. It's akin to purchasing a full LaRue or DD rifle. Top quality through and through. Your budget allows you to purchase pretty much any 10/22 out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Me ?

1st up .. I'd pick a Browning SA-22.

2nd .. a Winchester 52B

3rd... Kidd Supergrade.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Tomcat21
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post
With that type of budget, if a 10/22 is what you are after, I'd suggest simply buying a fully built Kidd Supergrade directly from them. Like AR's, 10/22s can be customized to your heart's content, but most consider the various Kidd parts top of the line. You could very well end up swapping out all the factory parts with Kidd parts anyway, thus just buy it preconfigured upfront. It's akin to purchasing a full LaRue or DD rifle. Top quality through and through. Your budget allows you to purchase pretty much any 10/22 out there.
First of all, welcome to RimFireCentraL.

I started out with a standard Ruger 10/22 because I don't have the money to buy a complete Kidd rifle. I have replaced most everything in it with Kidd parts: bolt, charging handle and spring, receiver pins, bolt buffer and Mag Release. Other parts include Brimstone trigger group, Green Mountain Barrel, Ruger Walnut Sporter Stock and Weaver rail. I probably have $700 in it, took a year for me to put it together and it is nowhere near a Kidd finished rifle in quality or performance. I'll never get the money I have in it if I tried to sell it. If you've got the money, buy a Kidd rifle and never look back......

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR...fle_p_126.html

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR...-50_p_123.html

Since I'm spending your money here are a couple of scopes I like, I'll let you pick the reticle on the first one.
I really, really like the second, some day maybe.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...l-system-matte

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/72...-reticle-matte

Good luck and have lot's of fun which ever way you pick to get a rifle. Tomcat21 (Ted)

Last edited by Tomcat21; 08-05-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree with snipes, go with the KIDD full build. I have a heavily modified Ruger 10/22 with lots of KIDD parts, and I have a KIDD Supergrade purchased as a complete build. The first will never compare to the second. KIDD is one of the best in the business, and even if you have great gunsmithing skills, it will be hard to create what he does in his shop. I love my supergrade and am thinking about another one with his new barrel system.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 AM
BGAndrea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks you guys so much for your response! The Kidd rifles definitely look nice. I've been looking at them and the Volquartsen rifles. Out of curiousity, how do these compare to Anschutz? As a complete novice to the .22LR world, Anschutz was always in my mind at least, the pinnacle of .22s. How do these compare? I know it's probably model dependent, but I'm just referring to broad differences (ex. resale value, quality of parts, fit and finish, etc)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:23 AM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Over the years, I have owned several 10/22 custom rifles, a Clark, Volquartsen, and AMT. Today I own and shoot only three rimfire rifles, an Anschutz 54.18 MSR, a 1710 HB Classic, and a Kidd Supergrade with new barrel system. Their accuracy is probably in that same order, but, the differences are small. My Supergrade has the 20" heavy barrel, two-stage trigger, and X-22 stock. It is an extremely versatile rifle, allowing position shooting as well as silhouette and bench rest. Not that it would be world-class competitive in any of those specialized disciplines, but certainly good enough for informal practice or small club competition. And it is a squirrel killing machine. Unless you enjoy the rifle work as a hobby, given your budget, I see no need in building one. The only way you would save any money is to buy a used 10-22 for the action, and then the after-market parts. Even then you might not save much money unless you keep the factory bolt and trigger assembly, neither of which would I recommend. Regarding the Anschutz rifles, the differences get down to comparing a good bolt gun with a good autoloader. Each one will do certain things better than the other. No autoloader will be as absolutely reliable and ammunition-versatile as a good bolt gun.

Last edited by elh0102; 08-06-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 AM
L2ACR
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22's are not known for superior accuracy but these will continue to shoot continuously without ever jamming. There are a lot of aftermarket triggers sets, barrels, stocks, etc. for the 10/22 for 'customizing' if a person wants to spend a lot of money trying to improve a mediocre gun. Don't misunderstand, I own two factory 10/22's that are great for <=50 yards plinking. HOWEVER ........... if you are looking for accuracy at a decent price I recommend the Savage V22 semi-auto or B22 bolt action rifles with accutrigger, trigger is adjustable from 2.5 to 4.5 pounds. Very accurate and also have a rotary magazine [not a nice as the Ruger magazine]. And if you want a good all-a-round rifle for everything except high power game I again recommend the Savage V or B22 but in 22 magnum. Nice flat trajectory out to 100 yards and can shoot further out with skill. I use my B22 magnum primarily for shooting chicken thieving varmints, mostly Fox, a few coyote, but there are a lot of Fox just waiting to invite a chicken to breakfast or supper. Now if you want to spend more money look at CZ or Tika, both are superior guns available with adjustable 'hair' triggers. If you want a 22 for other than target shooting consider 22 mag, the ammo is a little more expensive but the gun is more versatile. Stay away from Marlin's micro-groove rifling .... I had one [983S] and traded it on the Savage B22.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 AM
L2ACR
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is Anschutz owned by Savage?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I'll offer another thought - your father is shooting a single shot bolt-action Anschutz, and you want to shoot with him? Why not pick up a nice used 54 action Anschutz for yourself? Or a nice Kimber 82G, or a Remington 37 or Winchester 52?

I think shooting something a bit similar in terms of action might add to the fun.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 AM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2ACR View Post
Is Anschutz owned by Savage?
No, Anschutz is still a privately owned German company. Savage is owned by Vista Outdoor, a sporting products holding company with many familiar subsidiaries.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:37 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will give you the best piece of advice you will get. I have several Kidd barrel custom guns I put together and they shoot very well. I bought an ABRA custom bench gun from Joe Chacon out of Bandera, TX. It has a $450 Douglas rifled blank that Joe did his magic on and a custom ABRA stock that Joe bedded. No Kidd barrel gun will touch it. This gun takes a back seat to any 10/22 out there. You can go to the ultimate 10/22 forum and see photos and groups. It will slightly come under your $2000 budget.

Last edited by ILIKE1022; 09-01-2017 at 02:44 PM.