Speed screws - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Wahoo57
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Speed screws

In looking for a rest for my newly acquires SBR, I saw reference to "speed screws". What are these, what is their purpose and, as they seem to be right pricey, are they worth the extra cost if a person shoots BR but not competitively?

Thanks for any comments from those who use them.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
It gives you a vertical adjustment that is much finer and smoother than having to unlock the shaft and use the wheel.

In my opinion it's a nice addition to compliment the windage adjustment if you compete or not.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:07 AM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
It gives you a vertical adjustment that is much finer and smoother than having to unlock the shaft and use the wheel.

In my opinion it's a nice addition to compliment the windage adjustment if you compete or not.
Yup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reminds me of an old joke about soldiers on a 24 hour pass; but I'll keep it to myself....
Old 09-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Wahoo57

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
JEE, can't find an illustration of the speed screw so where is it located on the rest, on the main elevation screw?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:29 PM
hawkeye62

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
While I agree that the rear leg screw is great for fine elevation adjustment, I see very little reason to use the expensive speed crew over the screw that comes with the rest.

Regards, Jim
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 PM
gkcs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A bit of a repeat on what has already been said, but to quote Sinclairs -
"The Speed Screw replaces the rear leg in the Sinclair Rifle Rest. It is used for high speed vertical travel between the record target and the sighter target, and for quick fine-tune vertical adjustments. All stainless steel construction and quality machining make this product work flawlessly."
So speedscrew is a bit of a misnomer as they also have a fine adjust function which is brilliant. I have one on my Sinclair rest and love it but only use for fine (read very fine capability). My Sinclair rest has a Butch Lambert top so I either use the Sinclair column adjust (usually for the initial setup) or Butch's joy stick top for coarse elevation and windage. So in effect what Jim said.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
IMO, the speedscrew is an unnecessary expense for you if your stated use is for non-competitive purposes. You can use the supplied rear leg screw to accomplish the same goal--just not as quickly. My wife and I shoot local BR matches and use our speedscrews religiously. BUT, if I was only doing informal BR shooting, I probably would not have spent the extra $$$$. Just my $.02 worth. I am sure you will hear from others more knowledgeable than I.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:02 AM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Figger it’ll depend on your overall setup. The regular ol’ rear leg screw will have a fair amount of slop in the threaded connection present until the jam nut is jammed. The jam nut on the speed screw body stays jammed and ‘speedy’ elevation tweaks are via internal threads on a stem fitted to ~ zero wiggle room.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 PM
hawkeye62

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleFreak View Post
Figger it’ll depend on your overall setup. The regular ol’ rear leg screw will have a fair amount of slop in the threaded connection present until the jam nut is jammed. The jam nut on the speed screw body stays jammed and ‘speedy’ elevation tweaks are via internal threads on a stem fitted to ~ zero wiggle room.
Best explanation for why I should buy a speed screw! Thanks for the advice.

Regards, Jim
Old 10-29-2016, 09:55 AM
calstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a little info on multi lead lead threads(aka speed screw). This was sourced from a manufacturer site but I can't remember which one.

Brian

Most screws and bolts have single-lead threads, which are formed by cutting one groove with a single-point tool.A double-lead thread has two grooves, a triple-lead thread has three grooves, and a quadruple-lead thread has four grooves.Double, triple, and quadruple threads are also known as multiple-lead threads. You may determine whether a bolt or screw is single or multiple threaded by looking at its end (Figure I-409) and counting the grooves that have been started. Multiple threads have less holding power, and less force is produced when these screws are tightened. A singlelead thread should be used for fasteners where locking power is required.
Multiple-lead threads offer several advantages:
1. They furnish more bearing surface area than single threads.
2. They have larger minor diameters; therefore, a bolt is stronger than one with a single thread.
3. They provide rapid movement.
4. They are more efficient, as they lose less power to fric- tion than do single-lead threads.
The lead is the distance that a nut travels in one revolution. In one turn on a single-lead screw, a nut moves forward the distance (pitch) of one thread; in one turn on a doublelead thread,it moves twice as far; on a triple-lead thread, it moves three times as far; and on a quadruple-lend thread, it moves four times as far. On a single-lead screw the lead and pitch are the same, but on a two-lead screw, the lead is twice the pitch. Pitch is measured in the same way for single- and multiple-lead thread. It is the distance from a point on one thread to the corresponding point on the next thread. The form and depth of thread for multiple-lead threads can be based on any recognized thread form: Buttress, square, sharp V, Acme, American National, metric, or Unified, both left- and right-hand. The thread depth is based on the pitch of the thread and not the lead.