Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:05 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vortex Crossfire & Mk IV

Hi,

I don't have a 22 pistol any more and I'm considering a Mark IV. I do have a Vortex Crossfire that's currently not being used.

Can I press the Vortex Crossfire into service on a Mark IV?

Any special Mark IV for the job? I prefer the 22/45 grip angle?

I don't have access to the RedDot right now, but I would be buying the pistol to use without it for starters.

Is this even reasonable, or for a one-and-only range plinker for old eyes, should I be considering something else.

Most of my shooting is center-fire pistol, and 10/22-take-down plinking or Anschutz bench-rest (strictly novice).

Thanks,
Roger
Old 08-31-2019, 02:29 PM
FrankW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi TDplinker,

Do you have a red dot sight or a telescopic sight that you want to use on a MK IV? A crossfire telescope wouldn't be a good choice for a pistol unless you have some very special application.

I think I am a little confused.

Frank
Old 08-31-2019, 04:44 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frank,

Sorry for the confusion. I currently have a Vortex Crossfire Red Dot that I'm not using, however I don't have access to it at the moment. It will be available later. If that would work on a Ruger Mark IV pistol, it would be a good way for me to add a .22cal pistol (which I don't have any more) and test out the red-dot experience.

I'm 75, and having the usual experience with my eyesight. A red-dot on my centerfire handguns might prove useful for the kind of events we have at our shooting club over the winter, but I'd like to test all that out now without having to possibly modify a 9mm slide and mess around with tuning and modification when I'd rather be shooting.

Thanks for your time...
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 PM
FrankW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, I found a Crossfire like you are talking about.

I have a Vortex Venom on my Victory 22 and it makes a big difference for my 84 year old eyes. What size of red dot does you crossfire have? I have a 6moa and wouldn't want any smaller.

You would want to use a low mount on your pistol. Might need a rail to mount it on.

Frank
Old 08-31-2019, 06:58 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Crossfire could be mounted on a MkIV with a Picatinny rail but really isn't intended for that use. It's primarily a rifle/carbine/shotgun sight. But, since you already have it you might as well try it.

As to which 22/45 model, either the "Tactical" or "Lite" should be satisfactory. Both come with factory mounted Picatinny rails so they will mount the Crossfire directly. The "Lite" with its aluminum receiver and shrouded barrel is lighter (duh!) than the tactical so that may be a consideration depending on the type of shooting you plan.

Be aware the Crossfire is not suitable for mounting on the slide of a typical centerfire semi-auto. You will need a different red dot like the Vortex Venom or Razor.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:15 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
OK, I found a Crossfire like you are talking about.

I have a Vortex Venom on my Victory 22 and it makes a big difference for my 84 year old eyes. What size of red dot does you crossfire have? I have a 6moa and wouldn't want any smaller.

You would want to use a low mount on your pistol. Might need a rail to mount it on.

Frank
My dot is 2MOA. I think it will be a bit small for this application, but I shoot on the desert and have to turn up the brightness so it "blooms" a bit. I think it might be a fun thing to try for a while. I'll take a look at the Venom, it's good to have that input.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
The Crossfire could be mounted on a MkIV with a Picatinny rail but really isn't intended for that use. It's primarily a rifle/carbine/shotgun sight. But, since you already have it you might as well try it.

As to which 22/45 model, either the "Tactical" or "Lite" should be satisfactory. Both come with factory mounted Picatinny rails so they will mount the Crossfire directly. The "Lite" with its aluminum receiver and shrouded barrel is lighter (duh!) than the tactical so that may be a consideration depending on the type of shooting you plan.

Be aware the Crossfire is not suitable for mounting on the slide of a typical centerfire semi-auto. You will need a different red dot like the Vortex Venom or Razor.
Thanks for the heads-up on the semi-auto slide mount. My club recently moved the bowling pins from 7yds to 10yds. My placement with iron sights (P226X5) were tops, but the guys with the red-dots are pressing me :-). Love the competition, but don't want to give ground without exploring some other possibilities. I've been practicing all summer but my only firearm available right now is a much shorter sight radius, so I'm giving up shot recovery time and that sight radius advantage (e.g. poorer accuracy).

Enough of all that.... thanks for your input.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:31 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDplinker View Post
I've been practicing all summer but my only firearm available right now is a much shorter sight radius, so I'm giving up shot recovery time and that sight radius advantage (e.g. poorer accuracy).
Be aware that red dots eliminate the effect of sight radius so short and long barrels both have the same one. The balance and recoil recovery of a longer barrel still matter but the sight is a single point.

I'm a bit older than you and red dots have absolutely transformed my shooting. As that old ad used to say: "Try it, you'll like it".

Last edited by 22/45 Fan; 08-31-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:48 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a Vortex Venom on my Ruger Mark IV Target with T&J Tactical Integral Suppressor. My Ruger Mark II Target Competition has a Ultradot Matchdot.

You can get a rail to mount anything on top but weight is going to be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-31-2019, 07:55 PM
Vexmaw
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a Vortex Crossfire on my MK III 22/45. It works well for plinking, and holds zero through cleanings. It was more affordable than other options at the time and has been good to me.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Stevie-Ray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm using a Vortex Venom on a Mark IV Lite for steel challenges. The first day I used it was great-I owned the quickest times of the day, mid 3s. Now, though I'm having trouble finding the dot. Don't know why, whether it's my eyes or what the hell changed. Wish to hell I knew. I won the prize match two weeks ago with a crappy 5.3 time. The Venom replaced a TRS-25, which had a smaller dot, but I had trouble finding that one as well. I may try an old Tasco Pro-point, which has a large tube, and may provide a better all-around picture of the setting, and possibly equate to quicker times. Gotta do something.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:24 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have the Vortex Venom on both of my 22/45s and it works great, especially for Steel Challenge matches. I use the 6 minute dot. If I were just shooting from the bench the 3 MOA would be more accurate.

I like mounting the dot as close to the rear of the gun as possible and use EGW dove-tail mounts on both guns.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:49 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope you find your groove soon..... Thanks for the picture and explanation. I'm going to try the "junk-box" Vortex Crossover for awhile just to see if I like the experience.

I'm hoping I can get used to a red-doe to help me over the eyesight wall that I'm trying to climb right now.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:08 AM
Trashyshoots

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a crossfire I've used it on a lot of different set ups now and really enjoy it on a 223 contender barrel for upsetting ar guys at the range when I ring steel further out than them.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDplinker View Post
Hope you find your groove soon..... Thanks for the picture and explanation. I'm going to try the "junk-box" Vortex Crossover for awhile just to see if I like the experience.

I'm hoping I can get used to a red-doe to help me over the eyesight wall that I'm trying to climb right now.
I have the same eyesight wall as you and the red dot has been a BIG help for me. I have two Ruger MK Pistols and a Ruger SR 22 equipped with them. All are in dovetail mounts for the least bulk and close to the bore as possible mounting.

I find the big 30 mm tube type red dots much quicker to use than the reflex type but don't want the bulk and high to bore mounting. I'm only competing with myself so speed isn't of importance.

I was seriously inaccurate with the little SR22, it's short sight radius, and my vision problem common to all seniors. Now I can do fairly well with it using the red dot.