Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:37 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hogue Standard Barrel Channel Stocks

Hi who has a standard barrel channel stock on their 10/22 and did the accuracy improve at all?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:38 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Hi who has a standard barrel channel stock on their 10/22 and did the accuracy improve at all?
no. just the opposite on the one I tried, so I put it back in the birch carbine stock
Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 AM
KB22RF

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I don't know that the accuracy improved but off a bench rest it does make it easier to shoot better. You have a nice flat surface to rest on the bag. They use a Varmint profile.

I have hogue stocks on 4 different 10/22's. The ergonomics just work well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2020, 10:21 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree the ergonomics are better with Hogue than a standard plastic Ruger stock but not necessarily the accuracy from what I have seen so far. I used tape layers to make a pressure pad yesterday and am going to try it with some pressure at the front today. Without the tape I have the rifle resting on the retaining block and some rubber gripping the first few inches of barrel from the side but my groups with HM2 have been about 1.25 to 1.5 inches at 50 yards which is very bad for the cartridge. Hope to get down below 3/4 inch with improved harmonics. Sometimes my bullets are touching but there is a scattering effect with this stock. On my 0.92 barrel builds, there is a better fit between the Hogue stock and barrel and groups are fine. I can get down to 1/2 inch no problem using 22 LR. Somehow Hogue just got the standard barrel channel wrong in my opinion. Fingers crossed, I'll have some results a bit later today.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:46 PM
KB22RF

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I agree the ergonomics are better with Hogue than a standard plastic Ruger stock but not necessarily the accuracy from what I have seen so far. I used tape layers to make a pressure pad yesterday and am going to try it with some pressure at the front today. Without the tape I have the rifle resting on the retaining block and some rubber gripping the first few inches of barrel from the side but my groups with HM2 have been about 1.25 to 1.5 inches at 50 yards which is very bad for the cartridge. Hope to get down below 3/4 inch with improved harmonics. Sometimes my bullets are touching but there is a scattering effect with this stock. On my 0.92 barrel builds, there is a better fit between the Hogue stock and barrel and groups are fine. I can get down to 1/2 inch no problem using 22 LR. Somehow Hogue just got the standard barrel channel wrong in my opinion. Fingers crossed, I'll have some results a bit later today.
I have 2 GM bull barrel 10/22's with Hogue stocks and 2 10/22 w std barrel and Hogue stock. My best groups with the bull barrelled rifles are only .025 better then one of the std barrel 10/22's. The other std barrel one I have hardly shot and only with high velocity ammo. The heavier bull barrels do make it easier to shoot consistently though.

Hardly scientific evidence but I think it shows the std barrel rifle in a hogue stock can potentially shoot well. Doesn't mean it will with someone else's rifle and I also think I got lucky with that std Ruger barrel.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:57 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot the gun today with the tape bedding under the forend. Jury is still out. Impact was about 6 inches higher but then when I adjusted the scope I was still running around 1.5 inches at 50 yards. Next change will be the bolt. I have a match bolt on order with the round firing pin and better head space. We will see if that makes much difference? HM2 should be running 1/2 inch and under. It does from the 77/17.