Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:45 AM
Schocker65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Poor OEM stock fit

Bought my first 10/22 (wood stock, package deal with scope and hard case) just over a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying shooting it since. I do have a problem, however.

The place where I got the gun, they only had one example with the wood stock. I looked it over for any obvious cosmetic flaws, and found none. Since then, I have noticed that the mating point between the top of the receiver and the stock at the rear of the receiver is misaligned by about two or three millimeters (stock higher than receiver). That alone is bad enough, but on the underside of the stock around the trigger group, the same condition is present - the trigger group is recessed into the stock, in this case far enough into the stock that the safety slightly rubs the stock when operated.

Yesterday I was in a shop that had literally dozens of 10/22's and I examined the fit at the top of the receiver on maybe 10 units, and the majority were very nicely aligned. Some exhibited the condition i've described to a lesser degree; none nearly as bad as mine.

I dropped a note to Ruger last night and will wait to see what their response is; I mentioned the slight safety interference. Maybe that will get a more immediate response, though I would not call the gun "unsafe".

So, just a couple of things:
1. buyer beware to be smarter and more educated than I was and to look for this
2. has anybody else out here had to address this? What did you do?
3. Help me decide between a Magpul Hunter X22 and a Boyds At-One for (currently) non competitive target shooting if this goes unresolved
Old 09-03-2020, 07:50 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There is likely a high spot,, Some sand paper and a wood chisel might be all you need.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:58 AM
Schocker65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I assume you mean a high spot inside the stock where the receiver mates with the stock. I can't picture how taking down a high spot would help move the receiver into alignment when it needs to move "up" (out?) to become aligned. On top of that, moving the receiver in the stock to solve one of my issues will make the issue on the opposite side even worse.

It's as if more material needs to be removed from the outside of the stock at both the top and bottom. I think I got a bum stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 08:27 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If the trigger group is resed theres a high spot . Its not sitting in the. Stck right,which could cause the receiver to tilt back into the stock . Yep Ruger should fix it. But if they dont. You could.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:31 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I'm willing to bet your receiver is tilted down in the stock which probably means you either have a high point around the V-block or back of the barrel. It's also possible that your receiver is floating on the TD screw. Neither of these it that uncommon. One way to check would be to remove your TD screw and push down on your barrel then receiver and see if it teeters up and down.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
If I had 1 dollar for every OEM stock I have seen with the exact situation you describe I would have 100 dollars. Normal.

Magpul Hunter X22 is a nice stock.. for Tupperware... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIM5_Tatajo

Last edited by Chaser; 09-03-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Schocker65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So Ruger got back to me quickly, to their credit. They want me to send it back to them, which is what I expected, but not exactly what I had hoped for. I had delusionally thought that they might just send me a replacement stock.

I really didn't want to be without it for any time, so I made the decision to pull the trigger (see what I did there?) on a Magpul Hunter X22 on Amazon using a $60 credit for opening an Amazon account, so got away at a nice delivered price. Should be arriving on Tuesday.

One thing I like about the Magpul is that it leaves the option open to switch to a bull barrel should I go in that direction.

Thanks to everyone for the input - I may turn the wood stock into a project to see if I can massage it to fit, just for the experience.