Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerJack View Post
.................I prefer to shoot prone, or bench, supported by arms, not bag or bipod, the way we always shot matches 40~50 years ago, which shows the shooters ability to handle the firearm, not the mechanical support.

I notice, however, that I am getting to the point where a bipod is becoming a necessity outside of hunting, where I have long preferred to shoot from bipods anywhere that was not wooded areas.
B-Jack, totally agree with you, old time shooting with no aids/rests bar a sandbag was real shooting, it had its place and its time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then again as every year goes by, anything that makes my pastime easier on the body is welcomed, the mind is willing but the body objects from time to time, too many times for my liking, it is what it is.

Any day on the range is a good day and any day you can tie your shoe lase's without falling over is a great start, long may it last. We'll still give the young guns a run for their money.

Giz

Last edited by Gizmo60; 07-28-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:38 AM
farnak48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
B-Jack, totally agree with you, old time shooting with no aids/rests bar a sandbag was real shooting, it had its place and its time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then again as every year goes by, anything that makes my pastime easier on the body is welcomed, the mind is willing but the body objects from time to time, too many times for my liking, it is what it is.

Any day on the range is a good day and any day you can tie your shoe lase's without falling over is a great start, long may it last. We'll still give the young guns a run for their money.

Giz
Say Giz,
Amen to the above comment about just showing up to shoot --from a 71 yr old who is enjoying the "old factory" target rifles with peep sights more than I can stand. In addition, I still compete in a monthly ARA match with a Anschutz 1813 and occasionally I will shine pretty bright against the custom rifles....& that is fun...but no matter as I am there to bring out the best in me and my Annie for that particular day....and to have a good time doing it with people I truly do enjoy....Simple Pleasures !!
Reading this thread was fun. Nice to realize their are other shooters on RFC that chase the same pleasures.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnak48 View Post
Say Giz,
Amen to the above comment about just showing up to shoot --from a 71 yr old who is enjoying the "old factory" target rifles with peep sights more than I can stand. In addition, I still compete in a monthly ARA match with a Anschutz 1813 and occasionally I will shine pretty bright against the custom rifles....& that is fun...but no matter as I am there to bring out the best in me and my Annie for that particular day....and to have a good time doing it with people I truly do enjoy....Simple Pleasures !!
Reading this thread was fun. Nice to realize their are other shooters on RFC that chase the same pleasures.

Simple and to the point, wished everyone had that same outlook. Shooting BR with old school firearms, is far more fun than shooting with a full blown custom. That is all its about, getting the most out of the rifle that it has to offer and have fun doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 07:56 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
And doing this costs less too....

The costs in trying to keep up in some of these games is more than some people want to spend. Someone will run a match and decree no scopes over 10 power. If your rifle has a 12 power scope, you either don't compete, or you spend the money for a 10 power scope. I am a big believer in letting people shoot what they have, and what they love. Sure, it's not a level field, but in truth, it never is. I am 77 years old and my eyes are not young, but I do have time to practice a lot. People of all ages and abilities need to be able to enjoy the sport. You can always create categories and handicaps within the same match. So I say, go out with what you have and shoot. In truth, you compete with yourself. Enjoy.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our matches are just for fun with very few rules. No one piece rests, if we're shooting peeps, everyone shoots peeps, I suppose you could shoot peeps in a scoped match but no one does.

We shot sporters last week, 8X max on the scopes. There were some varmint weight barrels there and some 10-12X scopes and nobody said a word, we all shot and had fun. I shot my Browning 52 with the scope at 8X and stunk up the place, it was shooting 9 and 10's at 18X on a A-17 target but when I turned it down to 8X the show started, it shot like I was shooting from a running horse. I think next time we shoot sporters I'll take my Savage BTVLSS, at least if I stink it up again I can blame the rifle. LOL Actually it's a respectable shooter.

It's all about fun and enjoying the company of folks who enjoy shooting too.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
What you see in these posts is that the "fun factor" seems to be inversely proportional to the "expectation factor". Get a full blown custom and all at once you have shifted into a world where the expectation factor has risen to a point where it can be no fun. Keep your expectations low enough and you are never disappointed and always have fun. The part I can't understand is how you can go to any ARA, IR-50 match and see everyone having fun, doesn't make sense does it?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Rimfireshooter99

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
H&R M12

I currently participate in a monthly postal match with my M12, and older military training rifle. Shoots pretty well and it's a lot of fun to shoot the various matches. There are a lot of the older rifles used in the matches, with iron sights, and with scopes.

If anyone is interested, the match information can be found as follows:

What's a postal match?

Each month, we provide in an email, a set of rules and instructions on how to shoot a match and provide targets for each match. You only need to print your targets, go to a range, shoot the match, score your targets, then take a picture of each target, and email them to the Match email address: [email protected].

We will compile the scores from all shooters, and send a summary of results to all shooters after the month is complete. We also include an equipment list (rifle, ammo and scope) so all shooters can see what everyone is shooting.

And the best part is that there is no cost for you to participate!

Monthly Matches available:
• 50 Yard Scoped Rifle Match (.22LR)
• 50 Yard Iron Sight Rifle Match (.22LR)
• 100 Yard Mini-Palma Rifle Match (.22LR)
• 200 Yard Texas Mosquito Shoot (.22LR)
• 10 Meter Air Rifle Match (iron sight and scoped rifles) (.177-.25 pellets)

To join the competition, simply email Norm or Larry at [email protected], let us know you’re interested. We’ll email you the Match Information/Rules, and Targets and you'll be all set to join the competition and fun!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:59 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lower expectations, a good defensive posture...

I think lower expectations have their place. Like going out to eat. I like just about every food there is. I liked the hot lunches in public schools. The lunch ladies knew I always ate everything on my plate and would reward me at times with the bigger servings of desert. Every restaurant is fine with me.

And in shooting, if I keep in mind I am competing with myself, and not with others, I can be as gentle or hard on myself as I choose. It helps eliminate internal conflict, clears the mind and often results in superior performance. You tend not to choke up.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 AM
SigP224

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
The part I can't understand is how you can go to any ARA, IR-50 match and see everyone having fun, doesn't make sense does it?
I have never had a worse year in ARA than this year. I've had a couple of matches where I questioned whether I was shooting a rifle or a shotgun. But I still enjoy every match. Why? The people. You'll never meet a nicer, more accepting, and more helpful group of people than in ARA, whether it's a local club match or a national match.

Tom
Old 08-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
What you see in these posts is that the "fun factor" seems to be inversely proportional to the "expectation factor". Get a full blown custom and all at once you have shifted into a world where the expectation factor has risen to a point where it can be no fun. Keep your expectations low enough and you are never disappointed and always have fun.
+1

Sometimes, best scores in comps even friendly matches are when you forget all about the comp, just shoot for fun and enjoy the day out with friends, it surprising how the scores can go up when you don't put pressure on yourself.

Pressure/stress, call it whatever you want, IMHO its the biggest problem today.

The fun factor/enjoyment of the sport must come first, at least for me it does.

Enjoy..................

Giz
Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigP224 View Post
I have never had a worse year in ARA than this year. I've had a couple of matches where I questioned whether I was shooting a rifle or a shotgun. But I still enjoy every match. Why? The people. You'll never meet a nicer, more accepting, and more helpful group of people than in ARA, whether it's a local club match or a national match.

Tom
Ha, been there, done that!

I suppose everyone has their own "driving force" or motivation for shooting. Especially shooting at a high level (ie sanctioned benchrest). Sometimes it might not make sense to others, but then again, should it have to?

For me, it was to see how well I could do with the factory equipment I had. From there it was seeing the cause/effect of what might or might not work. Am naturally curious, and from reading and seeing so much on the internet about all of this, decided to see for myself what makes things tick. Spent a lot of time and money on some cool ideas and some hairbrained schemes. Moved from factory rifles to custom rifles. From simple rests to the best rests you can find. Chased ammo, tested, tested tested...everything and anything.

At the end of the day I found that for me personally, the fun was in the people and the things I learned. Was never a world beater but did better than I ever expected. Had some great equipment, a great gun and some great times. Met a lot of really good people. But it was never ever about where I finished in a match. Sometimes I shot much better than I finished and sometimes I finished much better than I shot. Might not make sense to some, but it will to others. Always tried to focus on what I was doing and what I expected from what I was trying to do on that particular card/match. Only once did I get caught up into trying to beat someone in a big match. Ended up giving the match away...lesson learned.

What made me stop is the fact that at the end of the day it just stopped being fun. Still enjoyed most of the people I shot against. But things change, people change and it became a chore to even think about going to shoot a match. Never wanted to end up chasing anything, so walked away.

Was a blast, learned a great deal, and made some good friends. Some of the friendships and memories will last a lifetime. So, in the end, I came out ahead. No regrets...

To anyone thinking of shooting benchrest, it really does come down to what your expectations are. I'd advise making a plan before getting into this. If winning is what you want, you'll want to approach this much differently than someone who just wants to show up and shoot their gun to see how it might do. Nothing wrong with either approach IMHO. Most people won't put you down if you show up with a factory rifle and just want to shoot in a match. Just watch the rules or ask beforehand. ARA is pretty simple so you should be fine. IR 50 is a bit different and some in that sport look at things differently. The rules in IR 50 can be much different than ARA, depending on what class you're shooting. So pay attention or ask if you have any doubts about something.

As far as what you're shooting, In all the matches I've ever been to, only had one person rag on me about shooting a factory rifle against all the custom rigs. Kind of ironic that I finished several places ahead of that person in that match...but not sure he would understand irony anyway....

So, if you want to go shoot a BR match, do it. Doesn't matter what you use or how you go about it. But do know that others there have their own expectations and most don't go to a match to lose. Of those, there is a percentage that invest one heck of a lot of time and money in this. Which makes them a bit better than your average club shooter. And the higher the caliber of shooters at a particular match, the odds of you being just "one of the field" increase. So, you'd better be enjoying this for reasons other than wanting to win all the time. But one thing to keep in mind...if you have a factory rifle such as a 40x, 52D, 54 Annie, etc...if you have the right ammo for the gun, if you know what you're doing and things break right, you will beat quite a few of the high end rigs. You won't set the world on fire, but here and there you're going to win a target or two, or even a match. If that's enough for you, then you're golden. If you want more, then it's going to take more.

What I'm trying to say is you won't beat the likes of Chuck Morrell, Tom Wilkinson, Bob Cleveland, Mike Sherrill, etc etc with your factory rifle. You might finish higher than one of two of them on a random card here and there but you're not going to consistently beat them. They invest more, they test more and most of all, they're just better than most. But it shouldn't stop you from going and enjoying yourself at a match. No matter what kind of rifle you have.

JMO

Kenny

Last edited by kseatm; 08-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
One thing is all of this is the old school shooters and particularly those with peeps have the moral high ground of target shooting.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:47 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
"So, you'd better be enjoying this for reasons other than wanting to win all the time."
True words of wisdom.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
...snip... if you have a factory rifle such as a 40x, 52D, 54 Annie, etc...if you have the right ammo for the gun, if you know what you're doing and things break right, you will beat quite a few of the high end rigs. You won't set the world on fire, but here and there you're going to win a target or two, or even a match. If that's enough for you, then you're golden. If you want more, then it's going to take more ...snip...

Kenny
Probably one of the most sage pieces of advice I have seen here, to which I subscribe. Unfortunately, I consider myself batting 3 for 4 on the main points. Some of my scores prove that I occasionally don't know what I'm doing.

Hoot
Old 08-06-2019, 12:58 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
One thing is all of this is the old school shooters and particularly those with peeps have the moral high ground of target shooting.
Going back to something I posted earlier in this thread...there's nothing I've done in shooting that gave me a better feeling than shooting my first clean at 100 yards with peep sights. A factory rifle, an A25 target, 100 yards, some flags, some wind, an old BSA scope I rigged up as a spotting scope, and a whole lot of luck. It's the only time I did a fist pump after shooting a target. Have been lucky enough to accomplish the task with a couple of rifles, but that first one stands out above any target I've ever shot with any gun in any configuration in any type of match.

Take away the trophies, the certificates, the pins, the cups and whatever else I've been lucky enough to win in BR. None of them made me happier than having that target come back with 20 shots in the x ring.

My hat is off to anyone who shoots aperture sights. I'm not putting down those who use scopes...lord knows I've shot through some pretty nice scopes. But it's neat to pull an A23 at 50 or an A25 at 100 and see all 20 shots in the x ring. And most any good condition factory rifle with good ammo can do it if the shooter is up to the task. Factory apertures, after market apertures, it doesn't matter. The fancy stuff helps, but you can do it with just plain old Palmas, Olympic or International sights.

Kenny