Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camp Perry - 2019

I got here on Saturday and Checked into my NEW Bldg (1022A). I beleive that I wrote earlier and gave the old Bldg number. Again, the correct Bldg is 1022A. There has been HEAVY rain in this area and, flooding is every where !!! I hope that the rain STOPS. Today, I went to the Bldg and set up my shop and sales display. The hotels and Camp Perry Housing Parking Lots are beginning to fill up. Looks like a good turn out or maybe EVEN an increase in shooters. We will soon know after registration closes. Several of the shooters came by today. I checked four pistols for trigger pull weight and sold a few magazines. More to follow.- Alan Aronstein
Old 07-07-2019, 08:33 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Stay safe and have fun!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camp Perry- 1st Day of Pistol

The weather broke for a beautiful day. I had ZERO pistols that came in for repairs, etc. I had a record day for sales !!! I did give out some advice. I understand that one National Guard shooter had an issue that was handled by the NG Armorers. The mood of the shooters is upbeat. There is clearly a new group of younger (30/40) year olds. I think that this is the beginning of a new era at Camp Perry.- Alan Aronstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pistol Competitors

It appears that we are going to have a nice increase in shooters. As of today(unofficial), it appears that we have well over 700 shooters. That is an increase of approximately 100. It won't be official until ALL events are completed on the weekend. The weather is Great !! Many people are talking about the NRA Matches moving to Camp Attebury in IN for 2020. I think that this NRA Plan is BAD !!! Camp Perry has been an institution since 1907. It is a VERY successful and mature Venue. Shooters and their families use it as a Family Vacation. Shooting Competition, Vacation Spots, Theme Parks, and Musical Events. The Commercial Row Vendors are saying that they are NOT planing to move!! The Military Services are NOT planning to send their operations to IN More to Follow. Alan Aronstein
Old 07-10-2019, 07:09 AM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is good to learn that there is increased interest in the Camp Perry event by younger shooters and that Camp Perry is doing well.
The NRA move to abandon tradition is probably motivated by financial incentive. This just adds fuel to the recent fires exposed within that organization.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The national NRA is in turmoil. There was a takeover attempt recently and many well known NRA supporters are now suggesting that they will no longer recommend giving the NRA any money until they get their house straightened out. The problem seems to be questionable spending by legacy management (??). It is not surprising that the NRA might want to change things for this long time national match. I'll bet it is a money issue (??).

I don't attend these matches or even compete but I highly respect those that do and those venders who support this match! Thank you Alan!

LDBennett
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 AM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it is very gratifying to hear that the turnout portends greater interest in the sport and matches. And it's good to hear it from you Alan who represents not only the row but intimate relationships with those on the line and whom has so many years experience. I made a few trips back in the early 90's when weather was the hardest stage on the line. Very humbling.

I hate to say this but don't count on the NRA to support these events. They take the money but every year do less and less to help match directors and those who work so hard to make them happen. I've seen first hand how they almost destroyed the BPCR silhouette at Raton. They continue to siphon off as much money as they can but it certainly isn't tilled back into our matches. The future I know is those who shoot and turnout and if Alan is correct I'm happy.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:45 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
It appears that we are going to have a nice increase in shooters. As of today(unofficial), it appears that we have well over 700 shooters. That is an increase of approximately 100. It won't be official until ALL events are completed on the weekend. The weather is Great !! Many people are talking about the NRA Matches moving to Camp Attebury in IN for 2020. I think that this NRA Plan is BAD !!! Camp Perry has been an institution since 1907. It is a VERY successful and mature Venue. Shooters and their families use it as a Family Vacation. Shooting Competition, Vacation Spots, Theme Parks, and Musical Events. The Commercial Row Vendors are saying that they are NOT planing to move!! The Military Services are NOT planning to send their operations to IN More to Follow. Alan Aronstein
I heard they were moving the matches. I hate the idea. I haven't been to Perry since the early 90's, but it IS the National Matches.

Shooters still stay in the hutments or has the housing been cushy-fied like everything else these days?

I have fond memories of unairconditioned hutments, mess hall food with lots of hot sauce, and pulling targets in the pits during the small arms firing school.

I have a feeling all of that is probably in the past given the direction our society has taken. Too "hard".

As for the NRA, I'm done with them till they clean house. Just sent some money to GOA though.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camp Perry- Real News

I had a Meeting with the CMP Program Director this AM. FIRST !!!!- She reports that the CMP Shooter Count is Approaching 800 !!! That is NOT Final and, it does NOT include the NRA Count. Hopefully, the total will approach or pass the 1,000 level. She also dropped off the 2020 Match Schedule. It includes a 2700 Match here at Camp Perry that is run by the CMP. I don't know ALL of the facts about the NRA plans. I do NOT agree with some off their decisions. They do have a VERY full plate and, I beleive that they do many things Very well. The teams that have been here for years(TX, NY, NJ, CT, MI, & others) are here with some new and returning members. Some new and younger shooters from the surrounding States are telling me that they have some time and spare money because of the job situation improvement. These are from casual conversations and NOT Hard Pressed Interviews. Also- MY OPINION, Camp Attebury is a BAD move !!! It was the 3rd GREAT sales day. I have sold 5 of the "X-Series" High Standard Style pistols to new shooters. The sales were made because of the recommendation of the long time Coaches and High Standard Shooters. I am happy and excited about the apparent improvement in the Match Future.- Alan Aronstein
Old 07-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pistol- Last Day

The weather has been GREAT all Week !!! Sales and interest in the pistols and parts has been VERY Good. The matches have produced NEW and MORE Competitors. I have been waiting to get some Match Results with regard to Competitors. The NRA Matches had a Total of 623. I think that is about the same as 2018 or down a small amount. The CMP Matches are: M9- 202(down-8), Service Pistol-467(up-83), RF-475(up-48), Glock-170(down-42), and the Presidents Match is still being Shot at this writing. Next year the NRA Matches will be gone, but the CMP is having a 2700 Match at Camp Perry which continues to be the OFFICIAL Site of the National Matches. More to follow.- Alan Aronstein
Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Final Pistol Results 2019 and Comments

I am not sure about any facts about Air Gun Matches. The Gary Anderson Air Gun Facility was built a few years ago and, it is wonderful. Today the parking lots are FULL ! I don't know how many competitors they have but, they would have to park in the main range parking lots to get more people in the building. Last night, I saw Steve Reiter at Andy's Ice Cream. It is nice to see that he is still an active Competitor after MANY years. He shoots on the Zero Bullet Team. The Zero Team has won the Bob Shea High Standard Team Trophy for every year from 2010 thru 2018 except 2011. I beleive that 3 of the team members are shooting their High Standard Pistols. The Presidents 100 count was 480 (up 48) and the Individual Match was 435 (up 42). I feel that we are on the increase in participants at Camp Perry. - Alan Aronstein
Old 07-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thank you for the reports, Alan, very interesting information. It's great to hear about the number of shooters growing.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have not been there in 10 yrs or so and then only as a spectator. We hit it bad once in that commercial row was closed--change over day(s)?

Always nice to visit CPM sales store.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How about a little background?

Who has historically run the matches at Camp Perry?

Why has the NRA backed down on its support for next year?

Does the NRA plan a competing match at a different location on the same days?

Will this be the end of these historical matches?

Why all the turmoil in the NRA?

LDBennett
Old 07-16-2019, 08:08 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camp Perry Future

1) The National Matches were authorized by Congress and the DCM was established in 1907 and the Law was signed by President Roosevelt. I think that is the correct history. President Clinton changed the DCM to the CMP which created a quaisi Gov't Agency like the Post Office. I beleive that the CMP has the legal authority to conduct the real "National Matches". 2) The "National Matches" are NOT ending. They will be held at Camp Perry under the direction of the CMP as REQUIRED by Public Law. 3) The CMP and The NRA have published match schedules for 2020. They are holding similar matches at approximately the same times. They don't actually conflict but they cause the competitors to make some choices. The Commercial Row Vendors like myself will have to decide the best Financial Opportunity for their businesses - CMP or NRA. - Alan Aronstein